We are 144,991 members in 73 forums discussing 114,808 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After → Topic: FEC-D

Topic: FEC-D

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After — Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Jan 28, 2009 03:48PM

Timothy wrote:

My wife's oncologist has told us they plan to use FEC-D, 3xFEC every 3 weeks, then 3xDocetaxil every 3 wks.  She has stage IIIa ER+, PR+ cancer.  Does this sound like the best chemo regimen?  Is it an up to date regimen and aggressive enough?

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Jan 28, 2009 09:52PM crazy4carrots wrote:

Timothy:  FEXx3 and TAXx3 (docetaxel is commonly known as taxotere) is the gold standard for bc chemotherapy in Canada, UK and other Commonwealth countries.  While you will note that I was just Stage 1, there were other underlying factors to recommend FEC and TAX for me.

I noticed in one of your other posts that you are concerned that your wife's caregivers seem a bit disorganized re starting tx etc.  Why not make an appt with the onc and ask for a tx plan -- in writing, using a calendar.  Your onc's office should be making the appts for port or PICC insertion, MUGA Scan, bone density, chemo class, and anything else that might be necessary, as well as setting a firm date for the start of tx.

Wishing you both the very best.

Linda

To follow by faith alone is to follow blindly -- Benjamin Franklin

Dx 1/10/2008, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 29, 2009 02:48PM crazy4carrots wrote:

Timothy -- just had another thought and a tip.  You could always ask for a referral to another cancer facility in your area.  Also, you can check out oncologist credentials at www.cpso.on.ca which will tell you where the doc trained, years of residency, date licence granted etc.  it's a very useful site.

Linda

To follow by faith alone is to follow blindly -- Benjamin Franklin

Dx 1/10/2008, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 30, 2009 01:46PM, edited Jan 30, 2009 01:50PM by KerryMac

I'm being treated in Toronto, and that is exactly the chemo I am on, I am also Stage 3A.. I asked her (my Onc) about ACT, as lots of the women on these boards have had that treatment. She said they used to use ACT but now use FEC-T. From what I have read Taxotere is more effective with positive nodes than Taxol. Hope so!! I also asked about dense dosing (every 2 weeks) she said it was used only for ER-. So I would think it would be the standard regime you would get anywhere in canada. My Surgeon actually told us that - there is a protocol that is used for treatment, most canadian Onc's would give you the same treatment. 

My first round of FEC was fine, I was sick the first day, a bit "off" for the first week, but nothing terrible. I am now 2 weeks out and my hair is falling out!!

Kerry - Dx Oct 2008, Stage IIIa IDC, ER/PR+ Mx, Chemo, Rads, Ooph, Arimidex, Zometa