We are 144,896 members in 73 forums discussing 114,712 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After → Topic: Stopping Chemo half way through

Topic: Stopping Chemo half way through

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After — Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Jun 16, 2009 04:52PM

phoenixsmom wrote:

I am really confused about what to do.  I have just finished my 4 rounds of a/c chemo and they want to start me on taxotere. I asked for another scan, so they can just send me to surgery if the cancer is cleared up, but they want me to do taxotere and herceptin too.   On my last visit, they couldn't find either of the tumors ( I started out bilateral, her2+, one tumor 10 cm, the one on the other breast 4-5cm).  I have also been doing alot of natural therapy with my naturopath including intraveinous vitamin c and some other super stuff.  I have heard so many women get this breast cancer back after they go through all of the chemo and surgery and radiation and everything, I just don't know if this is the answer.  I don't want to break down my body more than I have to, especially if they can't give me a good percentage of women who don't get it back when its all said and done.  Has anybody done all this and still gotten it back?  I'd love to hear from anyone who's had the herceptin and the docetaxel (taxotere).

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Jun 16, 2009 08:38PM Mimi50 wrote:

Hi,

I too would like to stop the madness now.  I have had surgery, completed 4 rounds of A/C and just cannot stand the thought of anymore chemo. My body is just zapped from the process.  I have a aunt that stopped chemo half way thru.  She is 15 years NED.  She did complete radiation.

Jun 17, 2009 03:14PM petelzmom wrote:

I went through the whole package 4 rounds a/c 4 rounds taxol, bilateral mastectomy, radiation, hysterectomy & oompharectomy. I just wanted to have no regrets if it did come back. i was in full battle mode that I was going to do anything and everything I could to blast it out of my body.

I am 2 years out of treatment and life is good. I believe it was worth everything that I went through.

Good Luck and keep the faith!

Dx 11/5/2006, ILC, 6cm+, Stage IIIc, Grade 3, 3/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 17, 2009 03:22PM suemed8749 wrote:

Phoenix's Mom: You are Her2+ - you want to get Herceptin. To get Herceptin, you have to do the taxotere. Go to the Her2+ website and read the statistics on recurrence with and without Herceptin - again, you want to get the Herceptin.

I did taxol/carboplatin/Herceptin last year and finished my year of Herceptin (every 3 weeks) in April. The Herceptin is not chemo - they will check your heart frequently to keep a watch on the very rare side effect of heart damage (which usually returns to normal when Herceptin is discontinued). The only side effect I had was a drippy nose, which is gone now.

Do some research - there is a lot of good info on this website about Herceptin. Watch the Lifetime video "Living Proof" which was first shown last October (about Dr. Slamon, the developer of the drug.)

You look like a young mom - please do what you can to be there for your beautiful child.

Wishing you the very, very best, Sue

Dx 1/15/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jun 18, 2009 06:40PM phoenixsmom wrote:

Thanks for the advice.  I just want to know all my options before I take anything.  I'm fighting for another MRI to see exactly where I am.  I want to know if they'll give me the herceptin without the taxotere is my MRI comes up clean.  I still have surgery coming up this fall as well.  I like to be the one who makes the decisions.  I don't feel confident leaving everything to the doctors.  They told me they were following protocol.  That just isn't good enough for me.

Dx 3/14/2009, ILC, 6cm+, Stage IIIa, 0/7 nodes, PR+, HER2+

Jun 24, 2009 06:48AM Seabee wrote:

For what it''s worth, taxotere is more likely to be effective on ILC than AC, though for Her2+ all of them might be effective. In your case protocal makes sense.

Per spem vivo.

Dx 9/9/2008, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 3/23 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jun 24, 2009 08:59AM phoenixsmom wrote:

I talked to my oncologist and have decided to follow through.  I can't say I feel 100% confident about this though.  I just wish they would keep updated with scans so the situation can be reavaluated before assigning more treatment.  It doesn't make sense to me to assume things.  I wouldn't have done chemo in the first place if they didn't show me evidence that I needed it, so why should I just trust blindly that I need more?  I realize that many of you put your trust in the doctors, and granted they do this for a living, but they are just people and people make errors.  I think every individual is different and so should be treated accordingly.

Dx 3/14/2009, ILC, 6cm+, Stage IIIa, 0/7 nodes, PR+, HER2+

Jun 24, 2009 09:42AM Texas357 wrote:

Phoenixsmom: I too wanted to stop halfway through. Okay, if I'm honest I wanted to stop just about every day I was taking chemo. But I didn't and now I'm happy that I kept going because I'll always know that I did everything possible. Chemo is not fun but it doesn't last forever. You will get through it.

DX 9/08, ILC, Stage 3A, ER+/PR+, HER2-, 7/13 pos nodes. Mastectomy & six months chemo & 32 rads.Prophy mx 8/09. Implant only on proph side; LD flap on rad side. 13 surgeries since diagnosis.

Jun 25, 2009 04:44PM DaffyB wrote:

I'm not HER2+ but my oncologist explaineded that the chemo is meant to treat the entire body to be safe.  I have been going through chemo since January.  There have been plenty of times that I have wished it was over, but I wouldn't stop.  I don't want to look back and think "What if?".  I want to know I did every thing that medical research has shown might help.  Make sure you discuss this with your oncologist thoroughly.

Becky