We are 144,860 members in 73 forums discussing 114,688 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After → Topic: Refusing Arimidex

Topic: Refusing Arimidex

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After — Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Aug 22, 2009 07:54PM, edited Aug 22, 2009 07:54PM by nancypat

nancypat wrote:

Hi ladies,

My onc stopped my T/C after the second round.  Within five days I was in the hospital with pneumonia, anemia and edema.  I had to have 16 transfusions and  an open decortication of my right lung and was in the hospital for the whole month of June.  I am still healing because my ribs had to be broken to get to my lung, and I have a lot of scar tissue that has formed causing my lung to adhere to my pleura and every time I move, I tear it lose.  Was that a run on sentence? lol. 

When I asked my onc about the Arimidex about a month ago, he said.  " We'll see.  Lets get you over this first."  After doing some research, I have decided I am not going to take it.  I can't risk the chance of bad se's again and I would rather have quality of life rather than quantity.  I also have a lot of other medical conditions and day to day living is hard enough.  I guess I sound as though I'm giving up but I'm not.  I am just making a decision about the next step in this bc treadmill.  Supposedly, I am cancer free.  That is good enough right now.  Just wanted to admit this because I know some of you will have thoughts you can share.  I see my onc on the 27th.

Thanks for listening.  Good thoughts to everyone.

Nancy