We are 144,778 members in 73 forums discussing 114,594 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After → Topic: Port Placement & 1st chemo on the same day??

Topic: Port Placement & 1st chemo on the same day??

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After — Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Oct 24, 2009 10:37PM

Sunshine1958 wrote:

Hi everyone,

My oncologist wants me to begin chemo ASAP (it's a long story), so he has scheduled me for Monday afternoon (Oct 26th) because I will be getting the port placement done that morning.

My problem is this:  my surgeon will be using a light general to do the port placement, which means nothing to drink or eat after midnight.  However, the surgery isn't scheduled until 11:30 am, and my appt for chemo is at 2 pm!!  By the time I would be all done with surgery and recovery, etc. I most likely will not have time to eat anything beforehand.

Can you get chemo on an empty stomach??  I would imagine it would make you pretty sick, right?  And what is the latest one should eat before a chemo session...does it make any difference whether it's an hour before or even 10 minutes before?

I hope these aren't dumb questions....I am just so scared right now about my first treatment.

Thanks for your help.

Sunshine

Posts 1 (1 total)

Oct 25, 2009 12:31AM Kim09 wrote:

I actually ate during my chemo sessions.  I was there for 4 hours each time so I would send my mom out to Arby's to bring me back lunch.  Take some food and drinks with you.  There is a thread that has some recommendations of what to bring to a session. 

I can relate to the onc starting your chemo so close to getting your port.  Mine would have scheduled it the same day but my port placement was done too late that day.  So I had the chemo the very next day.

I would suggest having the surgeon put the needle in port when they put it in.  My surgeon did that which was a good thing because the chemo nurses where I went won't use a port until 2 weeks after it has been placed.  But since the needle was already in they would use it.

Good luck on Monday. 

Bi-Lat Mast/no recon, 28 rads, Aromasin

Dx 5/14/2009, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIa, Grade 2, 3/25 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-