We are 144,800 members in 73 forums discussing 114,641 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After → Topic: Fingernails (Taxotere)

Topic: Fingernails (Taxotere)

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After — Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Jul 14, 2010 04:15PM

carolsue63 wrote:

I'm noticing spots on/under some of my fingernails. Does this mean I'm going to lose them? Did any of you on Taxotere get spots and not lose your nails?

Thanks!

Posts 1 - 22 (22 total)

Jul 15, 2010 03:47AM suzieq60 wrote:

Carolsue: I grew my finger nails (used to bite them) while having taxotere so I could paint them black. That didn't work out as I hadn't done it for so long, I made a mess. Anyway, I kept painting nail hardener on them. They were quite discoloured. They ended up quite long but most of them broke off low down (about 2/3) as I caught them on things. I didn't lose any whole nails. They are all nice and pink now and I've kept up not biting them.

Sue

2nd diagnosis October 2010 - IDC 5.8mm node negative - missed on mammogram in October 2009

Dx 10/13/2009, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 15, 2010 04:20AM hrf wrote:

I kept my fingers and toes in ice during the treatments - it worked so I didn't lose any. I also didn't get any spots like you describe.

BRCA2+ first dx in Oct. 2004 2nd dx Feb. 2009 a new primary

Jul 15, 2010 05:52AM Shrek4 wrote:

I fgot a slight purple-ish spot on my left thumbnail after the 2nd tx - it just stayed there, it got a little discolored now, but that was it. I got one more tx to go.

Jul 18, 2010 06:59AM KeriB wrote:

I finished my taxotere on 1/13/2010. I did not have any problems with my fingergnails, but I did with my toenails. I did have black spots on my two big toe nails. On seems to be fine the other side just came off 2 weeks ago. I could not believe that 6 months later that could happen, but it did.Forturnatly I did not lose the whole nail and they were able to put a tip on the toe. It looks great, no one would ever know that it is a fake nail. Good luck.

Jul 18, 2010 09:10AM DiDel wrote:

I used Nailtiques Formula 2 nail protein polish all during treatment. My nails looked great no signs of anything until after treatment. Every finger nail has a line for each treatment. 4 white lines on each nail. I continue to polish them with the protein. They feel strong just have white lines on them. MY onc told me they would grow out. No problems with my toes...so far.

Good luck hanging on to 'em!

Diane

Jul 18, 2010 12:55PM KittyDog wrote:

I had the spots on mine and yes I lost every darn fingernail and so far three toenails.  The rest of the toe nails look like they are going to fall off now too.   I finished Chemo the last week in Feb.

I am happy to say that I was able to file every one of my finger nails this week without wanting to cry.  They are very short and I think they will be just back to my norm in another few weeks.  I have neuropathy and not having anything on the nail beds has been painful.  

4 rounds of AC, 3 rounds of Taxol, UMX 3-29-10, 34 rounds of radiation.finished 7-2-10, ooph & hysterectomy 10-25-10, tamoxifen, femara now on to arimidex, Lymphedema arm, trunk, legs and now my neck...grrr

Dx 11/24/2009, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIb, Grade 2, 1/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 18, 2010 01:40PM RegulJ wrote:

I also had some spots but all of my nails are intact. Currently my thumb nails are delaminating from underneath but the are not detaching. BTW I finished my last Taxotere in March.

Dx 8/30/2009, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 3/15 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jul 18, 2010 01:49PM noellech wrote:

I started to get dark spots under my nails during chemo. They almost looked like blood blisters. Eventually they turned white, like the blood all dried up but the nail did not reattach in that spot. I never lost any of the nails and after the dark spots subsided they didn't look too bad. Eventually they grew out and now my nails look exactly as they did before chemo. In fact, everything looks exactly the same now as it did before chemo, so try to hold on. Noelle.

Dx 6/21/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 1, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 18, 2010 01:56PM, edited Jul 26, 2010 01:33PM by stlcardsfan

I also used ice on both fingernails and toenails for each Taxotere treatment. It worked - no spots and didn't lose any of them. The oncology nurse gave me this tip.

TCH, Herceptin, BMX, Exchange all Done!

Dx 12/16/2009, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jul 18, 2010 02:08PM DianeKS wrote:

I did not lose any nails during taxotere, but they sure were affected.  Probably 6/10 nails got yellowish in colour, ridges like someone else mentioned and the nails became 'thick' not at the cuticles but the ends.  Mostly my thumbs, index and middle fingers.  They also 'lifted up' about 2mm if I pressed down on the skin at the top of my fingers so you could see a space there.  Kind of gross and difficult to keep clean,  but is slowly getting better (last treatment in April).  During treatment the nurses put 'ice mitts and slipper' on to try and prevent side effects with nails.  Not pleasant but I think it may have helped a bit.  Putting gloves on and placing fingers in ice also seems to help.

What I found helpful was to keep them trimmed very short to almost no white on the nail at all.  That way they didn't catch on anything and pull off.  I did not have any black discolouration so I did not use nail polish...only when my girls and I had a 'spa day' at home.Smile

Diane

'Be thou a smooth way before me...'. Dx with mets to bones May, 2011, first dx 2006, BRACA2

Chemotherapy 07/26/2013 XelodaTargeted Therapy 07/26/2013 Tykerb

Jul 23, 2010 10:57AM, edited Mar 13, 2011 01:30AM by badger

Edited to redact a post with personal information.

4,329.6 miles walked ~ Find your calm. Move forward from this place.

Dx 12/22/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 23, 2010 05:02PM toughmom38 wrote:

I just finished #6 and final TCH yesterday and did not lose any nails.  No problems with toenails at all.  Fingernails I have purplish-red half moons running up my nail marking each of my treatments and after #4 they were sore for the first 2 of the 3 weeks between my treatments.  I have kept clear polish on them and they have grown all the way through chemo, are actually quite long right now.  Two nails have reddish "spots" on them but I believe they are from me hitting the nail against something (wall, drawer or the like).  I also have ridges but I was kind of prone to those before, I think that has to with lack of some vitamin.  But overall I have not had any real big complaints with my nails.

BRCA negative, diagnosed @ age 38, no cancer history

Dx 2/4/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jul 23, 2010 05:23PM Marple wrote:

I too got the ice tx for my fingernails.  Not my toes though and I have perpetual splits in some of my toenails ever since.  Never lost finger or toe nails during tx.  They did turn a nicotine yellow tho.

Jul 24, 2010 09:27PM fg2000 wrote:

I've had 3 treatments of Taxol so far (following 4 doses of A/C). I have lost two nails so far and several others feel "loose." Many have turned yellow. Pretty icky.

Sep 10, 2010 07:41PM rhondaabrams wrote:

I lost all my toe nails and fingernails.  Hard to pick up coins or credit cards.  But they all grew back perfectly. 

Sep 11, 2010 04:54PM Dee2010 wrote:

Finished my treatments in June, but had the ice mitts on my hands throughout the treatments.  So far, only ridges and easily broken fingernails.  My toenails are another story; they didn't offer ice socks (?) for them.  My big toenail and the toenail beside it are kind of dark grey and painful, as if there were an ingrown toenail, but with 2/3 of the nail detached from the skin.  My big toenail seems to be growing at a 45 degree angle into my skin, and hurts terribly every time I bathe/shower and when I try to wear socks/closed shoes.  Suggest people use both the hand and feet mitts.

Dx 12/16/2009, IBC, Stage IIIb, 0/22 nodes, mets, ER+

Sep 26, 2010 02:59PM CT124 wrote:

I found tea tree oil on one of the other discussion boards and massaged it into cuticles every night with my MDs OK. Google it- there is some interesting information about it as far as reducing bacteria, fungus, MRSA. I used it during 4 rnds of TC and Sally Hansen nail hardener and so far have not had any problems-finished last tx 2 weeks ago.

Dx 3/2010, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIIa, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 10, 2010 09:38AM, edited Aug 20, 2013 02:54AM by badger

Edited to redact a post with personal information.

4,329.6 miles walked ~ Find your calm. Move forward from this place.

Dx 12/22/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 10, 2010 11:34AM lago wrote:

BTW I suggest you guys google
"People with hormone-sensitive cancers or pregnant or nursing women should avoid tea tree oil."

There seems to be several sites that post this.

DONE!! alturl.com/3o9ni • Tattoos 2.7.2012 • Nipples 10.6.2011 • Exchange 6.24.2011 • Chemo 1.18. 2011 • BMX 8.31.2010

Dx 7/13/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Oct 10, 2010 12:03PM PlantLover wrote:

I almost lost four nails (two on each hand) near the end of my Taxotere treatment.  It started, I think, after the 4th round. First the nails started to turn reddish and lift up from the nail bed.  Sort of looked like I had closed them in a car door.  They felt like I had closed them in a car door too, lol.  I would take a plastic bag, fill it with ice and stick my hand in the bag, alternating.  I did this at work everyday for about three weeks.  A bit difficult when your job is computer work but I managed. At one point I could almost lift all four nails up completely from the nail bed.  Anyway, the ice helped with the pain and must have helped keep them from falling off.  I kept cutting them and eventually they grew out and adhered back to my finger. Oh the fun side effects of chemo!

"Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Appreciate your friends. Continue to learn. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is." -- Mary Anne Radmacher

Dx 10/2009, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIb, 3/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jan 31, 2011 02:45AM, edited Jan 31, 2011 02:47AM by motherofpatient

OMG, OMG I went to the Am Cancer site on tea tree oil - SOOOOOO glad Lago posted about this. It is a dangerous drug and should not be used by cancer patients. I found sites selling products with it in and with no cautions about the estrogen production. WOW - so many things to learn. I will NOT be giving it to my daughter when it arrives. So very glad I found out about it before hand. THANKS. Even things suggested on this site must be investigated since every woman's cancer is different - especially the differences among the ER and PR rate of expression.

As for ice mitts and socks - How cold do they need to be?

Jan 31, 2011 03:01AM hrf wrote:

My chemotherapy nurse brought me ice packs for my fingers and toes. She ensured that my fingers and toes were covered in ice. I didn't lose any nails

BRCA2+ first dx in Oct. 2004 2nd dx Feb. 2009 a new primary