We are 144,949 members in 73 forums discussing 114,775 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After → Topic: Weight Gain or Loss During Chemo

Topic: Weight Gain or Loss During Chemo

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After — Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: May 3, 2011 02:50PM

DebRox wrote:

I am not sure what to expect.  Maybe it depends on types of chemo and steriods involved etc.  Looks like I will be on TCX4. 

Just wondering what happened to you ladies.  Did you gain weight or lose weight while undergoing chemo?

Posts 1 - 10 (10 total)

May 3, 2011 04:22PM dlb823 wrote:

Deb, now that nausea is so well controlled with today's generation of anti-nausea meds, I think you'll hear far more complaints by women undergoing chemo for early stage bc that they gained a few pounds --  probably from the steroids, their food preferences/choices, and lack of exercise, more than the chemo itself.   I gained 7 lbs. -- mostly water weight, which quickly dropped off when I was done with chemo and resumed normal eating and activities.   Deanna

"The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears" Native American proverb

Dx 2/1/2008, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 1/3/2014, Stage IV

May 3, 2011 04:34PM suzwes wrote:

Hi Debrox,

I lost weight during chemo but have gained it back.  Like Deanna stated, once I resumed normal activities and eating habits the weight stabilized. 

Suzette

Dx 4/3/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 3, 2011 04:34PM christine47 wrote:

I just finished, and have gained about 8lbs.  I am not worried, during chemo often carbs were the only thing that tasted ok and did not upset my tummy.  Keeping something in your stomach, even if all you can eat is a cookie or cracker is important.  I agree with Deanna, the weight will come off now that I can be more active and my stomach will tolerate better choices.

Dx 11/11/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 1/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 3, 2011 05:06PM tlundy wrote:

I lost about 15 pounds.  I attribute the majoroity of it to drinking a lot of water, as I maintained a fairly good appetite and didn't really change my eating habits.  I've tried to stick to the water regimen as it can only be good for me, and have started a daily exercise routine, so I'm hoping to keep the 15 off Smile

"The greatest healing therapy is friendship and love." Hubert Humphrey

Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 2, 5/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 3, 2011 05:14PM nikola wrote:

I gained 8-10 pounds, most of them after 3rd and 4th chemo.  was on T/C, too. With first two I did not have any cravings, but with last two I was on bread and macaroni diet.

Dx 3/30/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 3, 2011 05:40PM grneyd5600 wrote:

Unfortunately I am one that gained 30 lbs.  Didn't start until the steriods started but between the Taxol stage with steriods, the menopause onset and the lack of excercise I gained a lot.  My metabolism is all but shut down.  Happily I am back to excercising regularly and back on the normal low fat diet I always followed and hope the weight drops off. 

I am not sure anyone can predict how our bodies will react but like several above have said - excercise when you can, make better food choices and you will do ok.

Good luck!

Jackie

Dx 3/26/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 1, 4/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 3, 2011 06:24PM Sassa wrote:

I lost 30 lbs during chemo (4 AC) and the following year of herceptin.  Both the chemo and herceptin suppressed my appetite (a side effect for some patients) and, as I had to make myself eat, I chose nutritious, but not high calorie, food for my diet.

I figured that besides knocking out the cancer cells, I might as well gain the benefit of weight loss also.

Dx 11/6/2006, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

May 3, 2011 10:13PM pejkug3 wrote:

I'm just passed TCH #4 (6 total) and I've lost 33lbs from the first chemo.

I just can't eat.  I have such terrible diarrhea that it doesn't seem worth eating.  However, my onc and team believe that I could have celiac disease that is contributing to my GI distress.

I'm hoping to keep all that weight off.  I have plenty more to lose...  ;)

Dx 1/13/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 1/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+Surgery 01/27/2011 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection, Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Chemotherapy 02/24/2011 carboplatin, TaxotereTargeted Therapy 02/24/2011 HerceptinRadiation Therapy 06/28/2011 ExternalHormonal Therapy 09/01/2011 Tamoxifen

May 4, 2011 11:00AM DivaJMusic wrote:

I was a gainer, I put on 30 pounds during chemo.  Between the steroids, menopause, general feeling of crappiness and no exercise,  and the total craving of all things JUNK I didn't stand a chance.  I finished chemo 3 weeks ago tomorrow and while I am dropping weight it's slow.  But I've also not been able to get into a routine of exercise as work is about all I can muster.  Whew.  :(  

[DD AC+T 12 treatments 12/17/10 - 4/15/11] [BMX & TAH 11/9/10 BRCA1+ Dx @ age31]

Dx 9/24/2010, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-Surgery 11/09/2010 Mastectomy (Both); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Both); Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Chemotherapy 12/17/2010 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, Taxol, TaxotereHormonal Therapy 06/27/2011 FemaraHormonal Therapy 03/21/2012 Tamoxifen

May 4, 2011 12:31PM jancie wrote:

I also gained 30 lbs during chemo because of the steroids.  I wasn't eating excessively but I went from heavy duty manual labor to doing nothing at all - add menopause and fatigue to the equation.

I finished chemo May 2009 and have carried this weight ever since.  I tried walking for one hour daily the past year and never lost a pound.  I am now on a sugar free diet, low fat diet and so far have lost 5.5 lbs in 2 weeks.  Even though before I had really watched my portions of food and decreased the amount of food, I couldn't lose weight until I started eliminating sugar from my diet.

Never Alone - My TaTa Sisters are always with me!

Dx 12/30/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-