We are 144,874 members in 73 forums discussing 114,700 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After → Topic: Port Removal Pain

Topic: Port Removal Pain

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After — Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Jul 4, 2011 05:36PM

NoSunshine wrote:

Hi All:

I haven't been on the boards for a while and am doing much better with my cancer and brain leisons.  My question is about my port removal.  I had a port placed in my chest (underneath my collar bone) when I had chemo and then last November 2010 I had the port removed as I did not require the chemo anymore.  My problem is that the area where the port was and my range of motion in my right arm is extremely painful still.  I would expect some discomfort but I'm getting tired of not being able to  fully use my right arm.  My doctor (MDA Doctor) says its normal and I may have pain where my port was for the rest of my life!!  That is not acceptable to me....does anyone know of any thing I can do about the port pain?  Exercise does not seem to help it at this point...however I can live with it if need be but was curious if others had this problem.  Thanks for any responses.

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Jul 4, 2011 08:55PM ruthbru wrote:

When I had my port removed it still felt puffy and sore several months later. I waited for awhile, called once and asked about it (being told to give it time), and finally went back in and told my surgeon's nurse, "Something is wrong and I'm not leaving until we figure out what it is." She poked around and said with suprise, "I think there is still a stitch in there!" The surgeon came in rather skeptically, numbed me up, made a cut and pulled out a two inch stitch!!!! (I believe his exact words were, "What the hell?") It was a dissolvable stitch that had NOT dissolved. Once it was out, the area healed over perfectly and I have not had one more moment of pain. You should not be in pain either, go back and make them take a look at it and figure out what is wrong (have them check for stitches)!

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche

Dx 2/2007, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 4, 2011 09:05PM elmcity69 wrote:

I'm not a doctor, but I think his answer is crap. I had one, and the only sign I ever did is the scar. No pain, nothing.

Ruth is right: go back to the surgeon and demand another look-see. Maybe an MRI, chest x-ray- whatever screening tool is best to figure it out.

Good luck. Keep us posted.Glad to hear your health is stable.

j

Dx 9/24/2009, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIIc, Grade 3, 15/19 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Jul 5, 2011 05:40AM reesie wrote:

I had my first port removed in February due to a systemic staph infection.  I have no pain where the port was at all.  I'm surprised that at Stage IV they even removed your port.  I'm glad that you're stable enough for that - it gives me hope.

However, regarding your range of motion and pain in your arm with movement - have you considered you may have frozen shoulder?  My orth said the problem is frozen shoulder can happen very quickly when there is limited movement in an arm (it can just be a couple of days of limited movement that can cause it).  There are exercises that can be done to get the ROM back - may not return 100% but I have heard many women say they did get back 100% ROM. 

You can google Frozen Shoulder to get some additional information.

Marie - It's A Great Day To Be Alive. Dx 10/29/2010 ER+/PR+, HER2- Stage IV mets to bones, liver, lungs, skin, pleural effusions

Jul 5, 2011 07:58AM NoSunshine wrote:

Thanks for your reply.  I know something is wrong because I shouldn't be feeling this pain so I thank you for telling me that...I have to go back for a checkup in two weeks and I'm going to insist that they take another look at it.  I'll post the findings on here when I find out.

Jul 5, 2011 08:04AM NoSunshine wrote:

Thanks Reesie:

I'll check that out on google.  It's got to be something as it's been almost 9 months since it was removed!  Apparently the chemo and radiation got rid of my cancer and brain lesions for now (hopefully for good) so that is why I had the port removed...it was hurting prior to the removal so I wanted it out.  I'm still on chemo but it's in the pill form right now and hopefully they'll take me off of at least one of them during my next visit.  Thanks again for your response.