We are 144,887 members in 73 forums discussing 114,707 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After → Topic: What to include in a care package for a friend?

Topic: What to include in a care package for a friend?

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After — Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Oct 4, 2011 11:16AM

GreenSeaTurtle wrote:

Hello all. I'm not usually over in this area of the boards- I'm dealing with tests every 6 months due to dense breasts and high risk. Anyway, I have a good friend who is going through aggressive chemotherapy. I want to put together a care package for her and was hoping for recommendations. So far I have a nice warm cuddly blanket and some of those fuzzy socks with the grips on the bottom. Any other ideas?

Thank you so much.

Posts 1 - 16 (16 total)

Oct 4, 2011 11:34AM Claire_in_Seattle wrote:

Hi Turtle!

Your friend will be thrilled at receiving such a wonderful gift!

I wore my socks a lot....they have a jungle cuff on top.

Things I would add:

• Bath oil.  Skin gets delicate and dry, and moisturizing oil was heavenly.  Took a lot of baths as chemo made me achy.
  • A bright lipstick.  Get one that is super-moisturizing.  Fun, and will brighten up things.
  • Fun, cheap earrings.  There are great ones out there for almost no money.
  • Light, fun reading.
  • Cashmere blend socks.  Try Nordstrom Rack or TJMaxx for these.  Comfy, and she can use when she is dressed in jeans/sweats.

Then calls/emails.  Try to keep it fun and light.  It was so important to me that I felt I was part of the world.  So encouragement.  I am so thrilled that your friend has such wonderful support. - Claire

Completed all active treatment (AC +T, lumpectomy, and radiation). Now on to the rest of my life. So much to celebrate.

Dx 8/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Oct 4, 2011 11:37AM apple wrote:

a nice silk scarf.. you are kind and socks and a blanket are perfect.  if you have the time a 1/2 day of housecleaning would be an awesome contribution.. That's what i had the most trouble with.. keeping up with the daily grind.  My friends got together and bought me housecleanings.. i don't know how i would have kept up without that fresh sparkling house every two or three weeks.

peace and love, apple - ..... Mary Magdalen

Dx 4/10/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/9 nodes, mets, ER+, HER2+

Oct 4, 2011 11:50AM LuvRVing wrote:

What a kind thing to do!  I have a friend who sent me a "care" package that included some of the things mentioned along with a book and relaxation CD.  I would add some mints or hard candies in her favorite flavor, some herbal tea bags in a flavor you know she likes, or some hot cocoa packets or other hot beverage mix.  I like spiced apple cider packets...Alpine, I think.   Also, I found myself chewing gum (my preference was a strong mint but some people like the Biotene).  And there's nothing wrong with a nice little box of good quality chocolates!

Michelle - read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com - Be kind to one another!

Dx 6/15/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-Dx 3/29/2011, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIIb, Grade 3, 4/21 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-Dx 5/11/2012, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Oct 4, 2011 11:55AM KSteve wrote:

One of the kind things that the families from my sons baseball team did was they wrapped up all kinds of restaurant gift cards. Everything from subway, applebees, chilis, etc. It was so nice to not have to think about what to feed my family! Very thoughtful. Another favorite . . . My aunt who lives on the other side of the country, sent me a funny card throughout my treatments.

Dx 9/3/2010, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 3/15 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-Chemotherapy 09/21/2010 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolSurgery 01/08/2011 Mastectomy (Both); Lymph Node Removal (Right); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both)Radiation Therapy 03/15/2011 ExternalSurgery 06/01/2011 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)Surgery 12/06/2011 Reconstruction: Nipple reconstruction (Both)Surgery 01/23/2014 Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement, Latissimus Dorsi flap (Right)Surgery 04/04/2014 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)

Oct 4, 2011 11:56AM LuvRVing wrote:

The restaurant gift cards are a great idea.  Most of those have curbside pickup, so it means no one has to "get ready" to go out to eat or even to go inside for pickup. 

Michelle - read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com - Be kind to one another!

Dx 6/15/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-Dx 3/29/2011, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIIb, Grade 3, 4/21 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-Dx 5/11/2012, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Oct 4, 2011 01:19PM GreenSeaTurtle wrote:

Wow! Great ideas ladies. Thank you so much! I feel so helpless-I really need to do something for her. (See, it's all about me Tongue out) You've really helped me. Thank you again!

"In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul."

Oct 4, 2011 01:45PM ingoodcompany wrote:

I received a care package when I had my BMX and was SO thrilled that my friend put so much thought into it. Flowers are great, but the care package made me feel even more concerned for. In addition to the items mentioned she put magazines, coffee, lotions etc. It was not created with a theme of BC ( i.e pink) it was just a theme of thoughtful items. Loved it!!

Dx 3/7/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage Ib, Grade 1, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Oct 4, 2011 02:27PM mdg wrote:

Good quality lotion...for dry skin.

More practical stuff:  Biotene mouthwash, colace, tylenol, bandanas or knit caps, ginger tea for nausea.

Dark chocolates (my taste buds went, but I could still taste sweets!)

Movies to watch

Magazines to read

A good book

blanket

one of those heating pad things you put in the microwave to heat up and use for body aches...I got this as a gift and loved it!

Maria Visit my BC Blog at http://breastcancerwontdefineme.blogspot.com/

Dx 12/13/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 12/23/2010 Lumpectomy (Right)Surgery 01/27/2011 Mastectomy (Right); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both)Chemotherapy 03/03/2011 Cytoxan, TaxotereHormonal Therapy 05/19/2011 TamoxifenSurgery 06/22/2011 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)Surgery 12/10/2011 Reconstruction: Nipple reconstruction (Both)

Oct 4, 2011 05:16PM tarry wrote:

Is an $80 present just way to much to include? If not, Jo Malone does a collection of small spray cologne bottles of amazing combinations. Wildfig and cassis or amber and lavender (or some such).

She's is easy to find on goggle.

She does have a pink ribbon on her site, which is not something that makes me happy.

Dx 5/30/2011, IDC, 4cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 4, 2011 05:49PM Mantra wrote:

My sister really appreciated offers from family and friends to drive her to her chemo treatments and to pick her up as well. People have also volunteered for her radiation treatments which should start in January.

In addition to worrying about her own health, she has been very worried about the stress on her DH (who has his own health issues) and knowing he can have a day to himself has made her so thankful. She also enjoys when people bring them lunch or dinner; again to give her DH a break. He's been unbelievably supportive and attends a caregivers group, but has also been so thankful for these offers.

She was also thrilled when someone knitted her a monogrammed sleep cap!

Dx 7/10/2009, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-

Oct 4, 2011 06:52PM catbill wrote:

Music?  Gift certificate for books?  Snuggly sweater/sweatshirt? Hand-held or computer game?

Oncotype 8, no chemo, no rads, bilat mastectomy, on Arimidex

Dx 9/29/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 4, 2011 07:00PM KimLovesDachshunds wrote:

A hot pink boa -- anything to make her laugh!  A friend had a service that was raising money for the three day Susan B. Komen walk -- they placed 50 PINK FLAMINIGOS in my front yard for 24 hours -- it was WONDERFUL!  A hand-held fan for HOT FLASHES!  An inspiring comical book -- anything pink that deals with the breast cancer FIGHTER / WARRIOR -- I got a t-shirt that said "I'm having a NO HAIR day!"  Good luck to your friend!

Kim

Dx 4/20/2010, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 04/14/2010 Lumpectomy (Left)Surgery 04/29/2010 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Chemotherapy 05/28/2010 Cytoxan, TaxotereRadiation Therapy 08/16/2010 ExternalSurgery 07/01/2012 Lumpectomy (Left)

Oct 4, 2011 07:06PM Denise2730 wrote:

Wow! I wish I had friends like you. I was lucky I got a chicken dinner from Boston Market brought over the day after I came home from the hospital. Frown

DMX 8/11/11 - TE's put in. Exchange date was December 16th. Hate them and had them redone by a different PS in June, 2012. They look so much better. Still waiting for nips & areolas.

Dx 4/29/2011, ILC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 1/7 nodes, ER+, HER2-

Oct 4, 2011 08:32PM mpeaches wrote:

I received some fabulous gift packages going through this journey, and what I appreciated most were the gift cards - for restaurants, for gas, for CostCo, Bed & Bath, etc.  I also appreciate the humorous gifts, because we all needed the laughter!

mpeaches

Dx 12/8/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage IIb, Grade 2, 1/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 6, 2011 11:54AM GreenSeaTurtle wrote:

My response seems to have been eaten by the internet....

I've taken your ideas and put quite the care package together for her! You ladies gave such great ideas of things that would actually benefit and help her, or anyone else going through chemo. I've shared these ideas with others who wanted some way to help her.

Thank you again Smile

"In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul."

Oct 9, 2011 12:04PM nicholewilliams wrote:

Gift her some chemotherapy care products to help her tackle the chemo side effects. My aunt has just gifted Evolife Skin Care Gift pack to one of her friend who was undergoing chemo. As even my aunt has used Evolife Products earlier for her skin and oral problems and was very much impressed with the results.. We know it is the best gift for some one affected from cancer.
All the best to your friend..Smile

Nichole.