We are 144,874 members in 73 forums discussing 114,701 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After → Topic: Mammogram with a port?

Topic: Mammogram with a port?

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After — Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Feb 3, 2012 12:59PM

CharB22 wrote:

I hate my port. There, I said it. I tell everyone at my MO's office how much I hate my port. It's disgusting...yes, I know it's easier to get my poison, but I feel it when I move! It's like there's an alien laying dormant in my chest.

Anyway....being the nervous nelly that I am, I'm freaked out over the prospect of getting a mammogram with my port in. My BS wants me to have a mammogram in April - right after I'm done chemo and before I start the 7 weeks of additional hell called radiation.

Can anyone who's had a mammogram with a port share their experience?

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Feb 3, 2012 04:50PM Elizabeth1889 wrote:

CharB22, I had my first post BC mammogram last month and I still have my port.  The port did not affect the mammogram at all and the mammogram did not cause me to have any pain in the port area.  I hope you have the same experience.

Dx 1/31/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 1, 1/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 3, 2012 04:57PM Sassa wrote:

I only had one mammogram with a port in place (lost that breast after that mammogram leaving me blissfully flat chested).  The port made no difference in my discomfort from the mammogram. 

It was the same-oh, same -oh with Big Bertha being painfully squeezed between two plates.

Dx 11/6/2006, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Feb 4, 2012 11:34AM Faith316 wrote:

I've had quite a few mammograms with my port in.  They are just careful not to squish it in the plates when they are compressing my breast.  No big deal.  (I always just make sure to let the tech who is doing the mammo know there is a port in there in case she doesn't notice it.)

DX 4/08 IDC, ER-, PR-, HER2+, IIB, Grade 3,lumpectomy,2/8 nodes,4 AC,12 wks.Taxol,Herceptin,30 rads. DX IBC 6/09 while still in treatment. Now Stage III. 6 mo. of Xeloda done, still on Tykerb. Uni-mx & another node dissection 2/4/10.