We are 144,987 members in 73 forums discussing 114,800 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After → Topic: Eyebrows??? Do they fall out more than once?

Topic: Eyebrows??? Do they fall out more than once?

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After — Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Apr 2, 2012 01:01PM, edited Apr 2, 2012 01:04PM by juviben

juviben wrote:

I finished Taxol/Herceptin on November 16th (2011) after doing 4 rounds of AC.  During AC, my eyebrows stayed put but I did lose them during the Taxol round.  I'm still doing Herceptin every three weeks until August.  The eyebrows grew back in January.  Now, it seems like they may be thinning again.  Does this happen?  Can I be losing them, again?  I FINALLY have an inch of hair, eyebrows and eyelashes and will be really sad if they fall out again.  Anyone have this exerience?  If so, do the eyebrows grow back normally again?  I'm a little worried. :-(

Posts 1 - 19 (19 total)

Apr 2, 2012 01:08PM dsv wrote:

I am also interested in reading any responses.  I finished Taxotere/carboplatin/Herceptin at the end of January (now doing Herceptin every 3 weeks).  I only lost a few lashes and brows during chemo but since finishing chemo it seems they are falling out a lot more!  I thought I read somewhere on these boards that lashes and brows can fall out even 5-7 months after chemo ends......anyone remember that post?

dsv

Dx 7/6/2011, DCIS, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Apr 2, 2012 01:17PM TexasRose wrote:

My last chemo was in October of 2009, so I'm very far out. My eyebrows and eyelashes didn't fall out until I was almost finished with chemo. Since then, they have grown back and fallen out again over and over again. I'm convinced they will never be what they were before chemo. Sometimes I have my hairdresser dye my brows to help them a little. Some months there isn't enough brow to dye. My lashes are much thinner and shorter than they were before chemo.  

Mary~~ Left mastectomy/ no recon, SNB, port placement- 4/3/09; DD AC x 4 and Taxol x 12 plus Clinical Trial E5103 (Avastin); Clinical trial S0307 Zometa arm; BRCA Negative; Right PMX & Bilateral flap reconstruction 2/14/2012.

Dx 3/4/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Apr 2, 2012 01:24PM camillegal wrote:

Well my experience was falling out--growin back, falling out growin back--thinning like crazy, growing back --lashes the same thing. and they've never grown back in basically--they are so thin and not there I always had full lashes. soooo--but I always had very curly, course hair--It's straight and silky now--that was never on me before--so I don't trhink there is any reasonable answer. Sorry LOL

Dx 2007, Stage IV, 24/38 nodes, HER2+

Apr 2, 2012 01:25PM sewingnut wrote:

Mine have cycled thru several times. They grow back but not as fast as I would like. My lashes are thin and taking their time growing. I finished Herceptin in Feb.

Dx 12/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Apr 2, 2012 02:43PM marjie wrote:

Same for me....grow in, thin out, grow in, thin out.

Treatment: Rt Lump/SNB Aug 2010, FECx3/Tx3, radsx25+8, Herceptin x18

Dx 7/13/2010, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Apr 2, 2012 04:35PM juviben wrote:

Marjie, they don't fall all the way out, though, do they?  PLEASE say no..... 

Dx 4/11/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Apr 2, 2012 04:44PM jacksnana wrote:

Same here, about every three months they would fall out (not totally, but very, very thin) then grow back again.  I'm almost two years out from finishing chemo and that hasn't happened for at least six months now, so maybe those cycles have run their course.  Mine never fell out during chemo, only after finishing!

Dx 10/26/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIa, Grade 1, 0/12 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Apr 2, 2012 09:39PM Faith316 wrote:

Mine fell out towards the end of chemo and then for many approximately 3 month cycles they would fall out again or at least thin, but it was my eyelashes more noticeably than my eyebrows.  Everybody is always losing eyelash and eyebrow hairs, just not all at once so it isn't noticed.  But, when you lose them all at the same time, they are on the same regrowth cycle so you do notice it when they all fall out again at the same time.  Over time, the regrowth cycle gets more and more staggered and you don't notice it anymore.

DX 4/08 IDC, ER-, PR-, HER2+, IIB, Grade 3,lumpectomy,2/8 nodes,4 AC,12 wks.Taxol,Herceptin,30 rads. DX IBC 6/09 while still in treatment. Now Stage III. 6 mo. of Xeloda done, still on Tykerb. Uni-mx & another node dissection 2/4/10.

Apr 3, 2012 04:00PM Whatashocker3 wrote:

I had my last chemo 3/21 and the brows and lashes fell out about 2 wks before that. So I have been about a month without eye hair. I look like an alien!!! When are they coming back? My eyes run and my nose runs. The hair on my hair is growing however! Yah!!! Can anyone tell me when to expect eyebrow hair to come back????

Dx 10/5/2011, IDC, 2cm, Grade 1, 4/7 nodes, ER+, HER2-

Apr 3, 2012 04:17PM CoolBreeze wrote:

Eyelashes and brows have a growth cycle.  Each hair has an individual lifespan and normally, they die and fall out intermittantly from each other, so you never notice it.  When you lose your hair from chemo it all comes out at once, and grows back at once.  So, all your hairs get on the same life cycle and die and fall out again at about the same time. 

Your cycle will eventually regulate and hairs will start falling out at different times.  But, if you have access to Latisse, that helps keep the hairs from falling out and will help prevent that annoying fall-out/regrowth.  You can put it on your eyebrows as well as eyelashes.  Use your own brushes, don't use the ones that come with it.

Ann's cancer blog: www.butdoctorihatepink.com .....multicentric/multifocal IDC/ILC+DCIS/LCIS/ADH Official dx? "Your breast was a mess." ~UniMastectomy/Chemo/Herceptin/Tamoxifen/Recon Almost Done! Oh wait. mets to liver 5/21/11 Now Stage IV

Dx 8/17/2009, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Apr 3, 2012 04:26PM marjie wrote:

juviben - no...they don't completely fall out again (at least for me).  They thin out quite a bit - I often use pencil just to fill in the gaps in my brows one week, then maybe won't need it the next. Latisse helps, I just always forget to use it regularly.

Apr 3, 2012 04:30PM Whatashocker3 wrote:

I literally haven't had regrowth in about four weeks:(. Should I
not have seen some kind if regrowth by now? Intermittently I should if had some come back.

Dx 10/5/2011, IDC, 2cm, Grade 1, 4/7 nodes, ER+, HER2-

Apr 3, 2012 04:41PM BouncingBetties wrote:

I had 18 treatments (three weeks on, one of) of Taxol. I wore Elasto-Gel cold caps and although my hair thinned, I still have it. I did lose all of my lashes and brows by the third round. They seemed to be growing back while I was still having treatment...but weeks after treatment ended, those hairs started to come out. I actually scratched my eyebrow and hairs just came out. The same with hair that had grown on my head - the root bulb was ugly and dark and obviously wasn't healthy. My real lashes and brows have been back for just over 5 weeks or so. I'm hoping they don't decide to disappear again?!

CANCER SUCKS!!! I'm almost out of txt options, Metsisters. 😔

Dx 7/12/2011, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 08/05/2011 TaxolHormonal Therapy 01/19/2012 TamoxifenSurgery 01/03/2013 Lumpectomy (Right)Chemotherapy 01/25/2013 XelodaHormonal Therapy 07/25/2013 FemaraHormonal Therapy 11/05/2013 AromasinTargeted Therapy 11/09/2013 AfinitorChemotherapy 02/14/2014 Adriamycin

Apr 3, 2012 04:42PM marjie wrote:

Whatashocker - I was the same, it seems like forever too.  The alien/Uncle Fester is not a good look on anyone!  You should start seeing some regrowth soon, I really can't remember how long it took for me but I do remember that I started radiation one month to the day that I finished chemo.  It was during rads that my hair regrowth started to take off and I remember the techs commenting that I was "getting my face back".  So ... anytime now!

Apr 3, 2012 04:47PM, edited Apr 3, 2012 04:47PM by CoolBreeze

It's been a while, but my eyebrows and lashes were the last to fall out.  And, last to come back. My hair was already growing back when my brows/lashes fell out.

I'm losing it again, probably in another week or two.  I've got some latisse so am going to see if I can keep the brows and lashes.  The thing that makes you look sick is not the loss of head hair, but the loss of brows and lashes.

Ann's cancer blog: www.butdoctorihatepink.com .....multicentric/multifocal IDC/ILC+DCIS/LCIS/ADH Official dx? "Your breast was a mess." ~UniMastectomy/Chemo/Herceptin/Tamoxifen/Recon Almost Done! Oh wait. mets to liver 5/21/11 Now Stage IV

Dx 8/17/2009, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Apr 8, 2012 09:53PM juviben wrote:

The eyelashes seem to be shedding, too.  The nose hair is, too.  WEIRD!!

Apr 19, 2012 10:27PM juviben wrote:

Eyelashes all gone on one eye and I have like 2 or 3 on the other, but the new set is probably almost 1/4 of the way grown in.  Eyebrows are really thinning out, too.  Makes me sad.  Anyone else who can give me any feedback on this?  My nurses all said that they've never heard of this happening. Frown

Jun 6, 2012 05:36PM dmorgan41 wrote:

I just finished Taxotere/Carbo/Herceptin on April 20, 2012. Herceptin every 3 weeks until this year in December. I had thinning brows throughout chemo and now that I am finished with chemo, my brows are falling out and new hair is growing in at the same time. This is too weird.

Dx 11/22/2011, DCIS, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jun 6, 2012 09:18PM TSB1 wrote:

I finished chemo in January and about 6 weeks later my eyebrows and lashes started to come in. By late March my lashes were so thick, long and pretty! I started latisse to see if I could keep them in but it didn't work and I used it faithfully. All of my bottom lashes fell out and the top lashes thinned out. The bottom lashes are coming back now. I still have all my eyebrows. I also used the latisse on my eyebrows as well. I'm going to continue with the latisse and see what happens. For me, losing my eyebrows and lashes was much harder than losing my hair. It really gave me a serious case of "cancer face".

Finished Chemo on January 19, 2012!! A/C X4 (started 08-11-2011) Then Taxol X12. BMx and DIEP 06-2011. BRCA- OncoType Dx Score 31

Dx 4/18/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 1/33 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-