We are 144,840 members in 73 forums discussing 114,674 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Moving Beyond Cancer → Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Forum: Moving Beyond Cancer — Getting on with the rest of your life, from rediscovering intimacy to coping with hot flashes.

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 06:28PM

Laurie08 wrote:

I thought it might be fun to start a thread on what we are having, making or had for dinner.  Sometimes it is the best tuna steak you ever had, sometimes it's a can of soup.  But we all do it every night in some form or another.  Maybe we can give each other ideas on what to make, or bitch about what we had, or the fact that we did enjoy that grilled cheese with tomato soup. 

Every night my husband comes home and says "whats for dinner?"  no matter what I say he always says "sounds good!"  even if I say it's a 'fend for yourself night'. :)

Page 202 of 620 (18,589 results)

Posts 6031 - 6060 (18,589 total)

Mar 25, 2012 10:10AM Lacey12 wrote:

Debbie, I just wash the kale, remove the spines, spin it and cut bunches of it into roughly 1inch wide strips, then add whatever I want to make a certain flavor salad....e.g., the cranberry/ pecan one I mentioned yesterday, or one with cukes, red onion, kalamata olives, peppers, tomatoes, feta, with Greek dressing, whatever veggies and dressings you like. I usually try to let the dressed salad sit in fridge for at least an hour for folks who are shy about the denser texture of the leaves, but I take these salads to dinners at friends a lot, and always receive rave reviews. Google "kale salads" and you'll find lots of recipes. I do use lots of garlic in my dressings. My favorite thing about kale is that the "dressed" salad can go back in the fridge and last (in great form!) for even a couple of days unlike lettuce.....think " next day's lunch"!

I have yet to make kale chips....would love to know how you do that. Thanks! I'd probably like them to have a spicy flavor.

Boiling up some shrimp for a mid-day dinner today before DH and I head to the Celtics game.

Have a relaxing Sunday everyone!

Mar 25, 2012 10:18AM Kaara wrote:

Lacey:  That sounds good....I've used kale in smoothies and soups but I have yet to make a salad with it.  It tasted kind of strong, but maybe as you say, if dressed and sitting in fridge it would be better.  I'll definitely try it, because it is so good for me with my MD!  Lots of lutein and other vitamins!

Kaara

Dx 11/14/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 25, 2012 10:51AM Lacey12 wrote:

Michelle....yes the variations of house values is unbelievable...glad you can enjoy the lake.:)

Loved your Ruth Reichl -esque description of that tasty canneloni!

Mar 25, 2012 11:59AM carberry wrote:

Thanks for the great pictures...looks like you guys had a blast.  Its good to put faces to the people we are talking to.  Everyone looks so happy and healthy!

Michelle  your hair looks marvelous...sooo cute. All of the trees here are in full bloom also, the magnolias are amazing.

Well.....yesterday my girlfriend kidnapped me for some shopping, and 5 hrs later, and after me locking her car doors with the keys inside, we made homemade pizzas for our combined families and watched the cuse game.....I was totally dead!  I know she is ADD and nothing is ever simple with her, so should have been prepared for a long day...but really?  I think she forgot that I am just  recovering from surgery..oh well...I will rest today, or as my husband always says "we will rest when we are dead"

Carrie

Dx 10/25/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIa, 1/25 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Mar 25, 2012 03:22PM Lacey12 wrote:

Laurie, thinking about you and hoping that you are doing okay after what must have been a very painful and exhausting day. Sending Hugs your way......

Mar 25, 2012 03:22PM Laurie08 wrote:

Love the pictures from Pickety Place!  I am so glad everyone had a great time, the menu looked very yummy.  Still so sorry I missed it.

Carrie no wonder you were exhausted!  Hope you have gotten some rest now.

The funeral of course was very sad.  Seeing her little girl who is only 8 sitting in the front row was heartbreaking.   Everyone seemed to be doing well and holding up better then I would have thought though.  I've organized for people to bring my friend dinners this week, I will be doing Tuesday night.  Now I need to figure out what to bring.  

Last night we headed over to a good friends of ours that lives about 40 minutes away and had a big family slumber party.  They have 2 kids as well and the four kids had a blast together and were so happy to all camp out and sleep on a floor together.  We stayed up with our friends talking laughing and playing games until 2 in the morning!  So dumb but so fun!  

I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend.  I can't believe in just over a year we have over 200 pages on this thread....so glad we all found each other.

Bilateral Mastectomy on 6/30/10 Exchange surgery 1/10/11

Dx 4/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Mar 25, 2012 03:28PM joycek wrote:

Laurie, glad you were able to have a fun Saturday night after the sadness in the beginning of the day.  Yes, Pickity looked great but you and me were missing...hopefully next time...

Just came back from the last wake I needed to attend.  He was cremated and there was visitation only and no funeral.  I think maybe his wife is taking his remains home with her.......

It is a lot cooler here today and a little drizzle but still way above average for this time of year. My DH will be home Wednesday afternoon....he is at the Hard Rock Cafe with a friend in Lauderdale today.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!!!!!!!!!

Dx 2/23/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 03/10/2010 Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Right)

Mar 25, 2012 03:32PM Kay_G wrote:

Hi everyone! Laurie, I am very sorry to hear about your friend's sister. How sad.

Thanks for posting the pic from pickety place! Looks like a good time was had by all.

Carrie, glad the sx ix behind you. Hope you're feeling better today.

Debbie, how's your DH doing? Did he have the sx yet?

Michelle, I can relate to the house issue. We lived in Michigan for a short period, and I hated it. I loved our house though. I SO wish we could have picked that house up and moved it up here. I've said that many times. We sold it for about $270,000, but it would probably cost a million if it were here in Phila. I wish I could post a pic of it. I loved it so much.

I'll check back later. Going out to a nice restaurant called the farmer and the fisherman tonight for our anniversary. Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. It turned cold here. Brrrr.

Well that is a pie crust promise, easily made, easily broken. Mary Poppins

Mar 25, 2012 03:53PM debbie6122 wrote:

Laurie-Glad you checked in today you have been on my mind. Your so sweet to get everyone organized for your friend. I saw the picture of the other kids on FB and they are cute as a button like your own sons. Glad you were able to Have some kind of fun out of a terrible day.

Michelle- Those are just such beautiful trees. when they are in full bloom they almost look like wisteria or liliac both being my favorite, thanks for the link.

Lacey- I will have to try dressing the kale a day in advance next time to see how it softens up the leaves, i love kale and use it in soups quite a bit or mostly  for chips but have not had it that way. Prepare your kale like you normally would for your salad i break mine in smaller peices put on sheet pan top with evoo, garlic, (i like lots too) kosher salt. pepper, if i make them spicy i will use chili flakes and cayenne toss well and bake in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes, turning and keep an eye on them they will get brown on the edges i like mine pretty crisp where they are crispy. Sometimes i put parmesan cheese on them too.

Kaara- Kale in smoothies, i have to give that a try, whats your recipe?

Carrie- Well, that will teach your girlfriend to kidnap you again lol Sounds like you had a great day though hope you are healing and getting better.

Made some yummy monte cristo sandwiches for brunch (since i get up late) used turkey, ham, cheddar, swiss put mustard on the inside dipped in custard mixt and fryed it was so good DH wanted more.

masectomy, chemo, node positive

Dx 12/20/2009, IDC, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 25, 2012 03:59PM debbie6122 wrote:

Joyce- Boy, it sure has been a hard week for you and Laurie-;-(((   

Kay- HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!  Hope you have a great time tonight!  Yes Chuck had his gamma knife almost 2 weeks ago i think, he opted for that rather than surgery because of the time he would of missed at work, he is doing fine now. 

Mar 25, 2012 04:25PM joycek wrote:

Happy Anniversary Kay!!!  Hope your meal tonight is yummy.

Debbie, I buy any old frozen pizza.  I think I am a pizza junkie...I haven't met a pizza I didn't like.LOL

Carberry, your friend sounds like Michelle....always running on high speed.  My DH and I call her the energizer bunny...I would love to have half her energy especially after all she has been through.  She's a really great person (OK Michelle,don't get a big head LOL)

I am doing the Happy Dance that I don't have to go back to Florida on Wednesday!!!!!!!!  DH will be home Wednesday and we can start to get busy with a couple of things we want to do around the house. 

It's only 4:23PM and I really feel like putting on my PJs...maybe i will!!!!!

Dx 2/23/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 03/10/2010 Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Right)

Mar 25, 2012 04:40PM apple wrote:

the good thing about kale is it has longevity.. I always almost have some on hand.  i wash it and keep it in ziplock and will cut some strips for salads, to throw in soups and throw in a smoothie.. I've had it 10 days and it still seems quite fresh.. my fridge is cold.

peace and love, apple - ..... Mary Magdalen

Dx 4/10/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/9 nodes, mets, ER+, HER2+

Mar 25, 2012 05:34PM debbie6122 wrote:

My ummm smoothie thingy broke, shoot cant rememeber what you call those but it broke LOL i wonder if you can make a smoothie in a food proccessor if the kale will become liquidy. I think i should go back to bed i realize im not making any sense LOL!  Must be from the Tv being too loud (chucks day off)

Mar 25, 2012 05:47PM, edited Mar 25, 2012 05:50PM by bedo

Debbie, is the word blender???  I went to make your soup today but couldn't find the creme fraiche  I couldn't find it and forgot to buy Greek yogurt to replace it also.  I went to local shops but they didn't have it so I will go to Stop and Shop tomorrow just for it for your pea soup.

I made Mrs. T's Potato and onion pierogies instead.  I boiled them and then added sauteed onions, butter, salt, pepper, hot pepper flakes and a cut up tomato.  I would not recommend this.

Laurie I'm glad that you had some fun this weekend.  I have been thinking of you.

Dx 6/17/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 25, 2012 06:15PM debbie6122 wrote:

Bedo-  A blender yes, lol- I was thinking it was called somthing fancier i guess.. geeze! haha! If you cant find the creme fraiche or yogurt here is a recipe for it, its very good and this is how its made:

Don't worry about the creme fraiche spoiling while it's sitting on the counter; the acid in the mixture prevents bacterial disease associated with dairy products.

Ingredients

Directions

In a bowl, combine the cream and buttermilk. Cover with a clean kitchen cloth in a warm, draft-free place and let sit until thickened, but still a pourable consistency, 12 to 16 hours. Stir and refrigerate until ready to use. (Can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.)

Mar 25, 2012 06:23PM Kaara wrote:

Kay:  Happy Anniversary!  Enjoy your evening out.

Debbie:  The Kale smoothie recipe is simple...I use l head romaine, 3 handfuls of chopped kale, sweet red and yellow peppers, zuccini, apple, celery, several spears of pineapple and a few frozen strawberries.  Blend the kale and romaine first with 2 cups of water until smooth and then slowly add the other ingredients.  Turn on high for about 30 seconds to pulverize everything and drink.  You can also add protein powder if needed.  This makes a big 64 oz container (about 4 large glasses) so if you have a smaller blender you would have to cut the recipe in half.  This actually came from my DGD who is a vegetarian.  You can use spinach in place of kale if you don't have it.

Carberry:  You friend sounds like my daughter...she can really tire me out when we shop!

Just got back from playing golf and the weather cooperated...sun was behind clouds all day, and there was a nice breeze so didn't get too hot.  Also played rather respectable for not having picked up a club in two years.  Didn't keep score though which was just fine with me.

Brunch before golf was fantastic...raw bar, salad bar, about five entrees to choose from (small dishes to taste) and nice desserts.  It's all you can eat, but I was careful.  Leftover vegetable soup for dinner tonight! 

Kaara

Mar 25, 2012 06:30PM debbie6122 wrote:

I just realized the word i was looking for, it was Juicer- My juicer started smelling like electrical wires were burning so afraid to use it, i didnt realize you could make such good smoothies like that in a blender with veggies, i have a blender yay!!!

Kaara- That reciepe sounds delishis i will have to buy some strawberries but have all the other ingredients to make it. Thanks! Glad you had a good day of golf i know you werent to excited about playing with BF boss. so glad it worked out for you.

Mar 25, 2012 06:49PM Kaara wrote:

debbie:  Hopefully it's a powerful blender, and if not, just cut the veggies into very small pieces so that it won't overstress the blender blades.  My blender is a Vita Mix and it has a motor like a jet engine!

Kaara

Mar 25, 2012 10:48PM Lacey12 wrote:

Kay, Happy Anniversary, and hope your dinner was delightful!

Mar 25, 2012 11:00PM deborye wrote:

I have a 2 blenders, food processor, mini chopper, magic bullet and steamer.  I hardly use them.  I mostly use my cheap miracle slicer and something my Dad had that chops food real evenly.

~~~Deb~~~NEVER GIVE UP/NEVER SURRENDER**IDC 6mm & DCIS 7mm

Mar 25, 2012 11:05PM deborye wrote:

Mar 25, 2012 11:06PM deborye wrote:

Time to have a YARD SALE!!

Mar 25, 2012 11:35PM debbie6122 wrote:

Deb- Can i borrow one LOL!   I love my food processor it is the one thing i would take on an island with me if i had to make a choice.

Kaara- Its probably not that strong for things like kale so i may have to invest in a vito mix

Fixed DH chix and rice in a mushroom cream sauce, its what he wanted but for myself i made cod, asperagus, yellow squash, spincach and sweet potatoes. Then brownies for dessert.

Mar 26, 2012 12:31AM debbie6122 wrote:

Yikess, i just priced the vitamix machine and it runs starting around $300 up to and over $600 pretty spendy i might have to just buy a new juicer.Undecided

Mar 26, 2012 02:43AM Momine wrote:

Deb, that first do-dad, it was sold on TV down here, and they called it the "Nicer Dicer." Dd and I used to watch the infomercial and scream with laughter, because one of the people selling it was a German lady speaking in English, but with a heavy German accent. We still say "nicer dicer" with a German accent and crack up. Yeah, I know, it doesn't take much, lol.

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIb, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 06/20/2011 Cytoxan, Ellence, fluorouracil, TaxotereSurgery 09/13/2011 Mastectomy (Both)Radiation Therapy 01/09/2012 ExternalSurgery 03/08/2012 Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Hormonal Therapy 04/01/2012 Femara

Mar 26, 2012 06:36AM Kaara wrote:

debbie:  There are machines that do almost the same thing a the Vita Mix for much less money...you can find them at Walmart and places like that.  One that comes to mind is Ninja.  I think it's only $199 or something like that.  The Vita Mix is nice because you can make soups with it and it heats them right in the container.  It will also make bread dough and grind seeds for flour (something I will never do), also you can make nut milk like almond milk (not likely for me either).  It comes with a huge recipe book.

Kaara

Mar 26, 2012 07:34AM apple wrote:

i am going to be mostly gone all day and then from 5 until 8

I'll stick a chicken (peeled) in the crockpot..  maybe buy a packet of curry sauce mix and coconut milk for the kids to make a curry thing and see what happens.  I wonder if they'll bother to make some rice.

or it could just be soup.

peace and love, apple - ..... Mary Magdalen

Dx 4/10/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/9 nodes, mets, ER+, HER2+

Mar 26, 2012 08:26AM carberry wrote:

Debbie you are pretty funny when your tired...wonder what your like drunk? ha ha  Your meal of cod and all those veges sounds wonderful...have been craving some fish lately.

Deb  I think I might have some gadgets in my house that I could sell you....they never work like you expect them to.  My DS took my breadmaker, smoothie maker, toaster oven(brand new in box) and my chopper.  He is a mechanical engineer and loves anything with moving parts! Definitely a gadget geek. He did a skit in high school with his buddy called "set it and forget it" with a microwave.

My DH just announced that I should not cook tonight because he has his leftovers to finish up from the weekend....ok with me!

Kay  good to see you here...Happy anniversary!

Laurie   Glad to see you got through the weekend and even found some laughter.

Carrie

Dx 10/25/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIa, 1/25 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Mar 26, 2012 08:36AM LuvRVing wrote:

My DH is on a plane heading to Mobile, AL until Wednesday.  My DS is here with me.  We moved out his furniture yesterday and today we will go back and finish cleaning out his apartment.  Oh how I hate moving!  I think I'll cook some sausage and peppers for dinner.  He likes that and there will be leftovers for DH.

Debbie - I have a large and small food processor which I use all the time,and a mandolin slicer which comes in very handy for making onion soup.  I haven't used a blender in years - but I do have a stick blender.

Michelle - read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com - Be kind to one another!

Dx 6/15/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-Dx 3/29/2011, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIIb, Grade 3, 4/21 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-Dx 5/11/2012, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Mar 26, 2012 09:12AM carolehalston wrote:

Thank you, ladies, for posting the picture and providing the names caption.  You all look happy with your meal and the company.  It would be great fun to have a big gathering of the What's for Dinner posters.

The redbud tree is quite common here in our southern zone.  It's usually an early bloomer and makes a glorious display.  But it's not a long-lived tree.  I planted one in my yard 19 years ago when we moved to this house.  It has since died.

Another gorgeous spring blooming tree that grows wild in the woods is the dogwood tree.  White blooms.  It is gorgeous especially blooming in its natural setting.

I started cooking kale about a year ago.  At first I tried sauteing it in EVOO with garlic.  It was tough and bitter.  I read about kale in America's Test Kitchen cookbook, VEGETABLES, in which it's classified as a bitter green.  The recommendation is to blanch it first in salted water for a few minutes.  I tried that technique and it worked for me.  Actually the kale is tender and good enough to eat after the blanching.  But I usually saute it with the garlic and EVOO.  Can't imagine eating it in a salad, but maybe the kale I buy isn't young and fresh enough. 

Laurie, I'm glad your sad day ended with the company of friends.  That's a neat idea--whole family sleepover.

Michelle, your home in the midwest is lovely.  We find the New England area very expensive when we travel there with our rv.  Beautiful but pricey.  And also crowded because of the nearness of Boston to the favorite vacation spots.  In contrast there are very nice states in the midwest that offer a better value to summer rv'ers like us.  We particularly enjoy the nice municipal golf courses in MI and MN where we can play golf for a reasonable price.  Not so in NE, although we love Bethlehem, NH, which does have a reasonably priced golf course along with the quaint village atmosphere.

Now I must get on the phone and call Roto-Rooter.  Last night when I was running the dishwasher, we had water rise in the hall bathroom tub.  Not good!  This house was built in the 1970's and the plumbing is in the slab foundation.  We've had Roto Rooter out before in past years.

Happy Monday to all.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex

Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 202 of 620 (18,589 results)