We are 145,005 members in 73 forums discussing 114,829 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During and After → Topic: how soon after radiation do you start tamoxifen?

Topic: how soon after radiation do you start tamoxifen?

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During and After — What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Oct 1, 2009 06:14AM

aaronali12 wrote:

I am curious what is the time frame after you are finished with radiation do you most likely start tamoxifen and how bad is tamox????

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Oct 1, 2009 06:30AM melissa-5-19 wrote:

I don't know these answers but wiill be waiting to hear them also!!

aaronali2  WOULD YOU PLEASE  tell me when your surgery was , when you started rads and completed rads and which doc are you seeing now?

so you had a surgeon, a onc rad, and a medical rad??do you know what you er number was and your pr number? I think some of my DX information  is wrong as I am so new here and still learning.

AMAZING!!! BC MADE ME A BETTER PERSON- WHO WOULD COUNT ON THAT?

Dx 9/9/2009, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Oct 1, 2009 06:39AM IllinoisNancy wrote:

Hi,

I started taking Tamoxifen the day after I finished rads.  I have been on it almost 3 years and I really haven't had any major problems other than hot flashes.  I think it is completely doable for most women.  Good luck with your continued treatment.

OncotypeDX was 9, Pleomorphic ILC, Breast cancer twice, 10/06 and 10/10,

Oct 1, 2009 03:14PM Leah_S wrote:

My onc had recommended starting the tamox when I started rads but I wanted to wait and he was OK with that. I started it the day after I finished rads.

Mild hot flashes, insomnia, some constipation are the SEs I've had. The insomnia is getting better since I started taking it at night.

Hope this helps.

Leah

Dx 11/3/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 6/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 2, 2009 11:52AM luckyrabbit99 wrote:

My Ono Doctor had me start Tamoxifen right after chemo and the radiation doctor did not tell me that I needed to stop.  I hope this was ok.

Lumpectomy 1/21/09 Stage1 Grade 3. OncoDX 26/17% TC/4

Dx 12/28/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage Ib, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 2, 2009 12:06PM debnyc wrote:

my medical onc gave me the choice of doing tamox with rads or waiting until after rads. i've decided to wait until after rads. figured it was better to not deal with se from both if i did them concurrently.

Dx 9/1/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 2, 2009 02:09PM j414 wrote:

I started tamox a month ago today and haven't had any SE yet, except (and I'm not sure if this is real or imagined) maybe a little bloating - which is actually working out well b/c I'm not as hungry as I normally am. I was expecting the worse, but it's been fine so far.  Also, I have been taking it at night, so not sure if that has made a difference.

Dx 4/2009, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 2, 2009 09:00PM Leia wrote:

I had a 2cm IDC, in August, 2006. Stage 1, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-. Cut out with a wide margin lumpectomy. I had no Radiation or Tamoxifen, at all.

Three+ years later, still no cancer.  

Neither of those treatments ever made any sense, to me. With this minimal cancer that I had.  

Dx 5/5/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 2, 2009 10:04PM jancie wrote:

I just finished rads last Friday and will be starting on Tamoxifen 2 weeks out of rads when I see my oncologist. 

J414 - I hope I am less hungry after taking the medication!  I have been eating like a horse since I started rads and also during chemo when I was on dexamethazone.

Never Alone - My TaTa Sisters are always with me!

Dx 12/30/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-