We are 144,967 members in 73 forums discussing 114,788 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During and After → Topic: Best creams for radiation

Topic: Best creams for radiation

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During and After — What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Oct 8, 2009 07:13PM

linn56 wrote:

There was a thread I saw here somewhere, when I first joined, that discussed best creams for radiation. I did a search for it but now I can't find it. I bookmarked it but lost all my bookmarks in a computer crash.

Can anyone direct me to it? Or another such comprehensive list?

I saw Biafine cream recommended in several places but don't see it offered anywhere but Amazon. Seems like an odd place to buy skin cream!)

Thanks!

Posts 1 - 11 (11 total)

Oct 9, 2009 04:06PM annetteCHI wrote:

I'm only on day 10 of rads, but so far I get much relief from RadiaPlex Gel, given to me by my rad onc. applied up to 3xs/day it really helps with the pain, itch and heat. (no idea how good it will work after more days of rads...haven't seen it mentioned here before.)

annetteCHI

Oct 10, 2009 07:05PM Colette37 wrote:

I use "My Girls Radiation Cream"  I like it and it has a cool feeling when I put it on.

Colette

Dx 3/17/2009, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIb, Grade 3, 0/10 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Oct 10, 2009 07:10PM Jaybird627 wrote:

I only used aloe vera gel as per my doctor's suggestion. The brand was Lily of the Desert 99% organic. Most women use something else but I had no problems during nor after 36 rads.

Jaybird. My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope - Ovid.

Oct 11, 2009 05:13AM Leah_S wrote:

I also found natural aloe vera gel to be the best for me. I'm very fair-skinned so that's saying a lot.

Leah

Dx 11/3/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 6/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 11, 2009 09:12AM, edited Oct 11, 2009 11:02AM by j414

Linn56, 

I think this the thread you are referring to.

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/70/topic/663615?page=1

I tried a bunch of different creams, but after two weeks I started using aquafor with a cortizone cream (to help with the itching) and I covered the whole mess with xeroform bandages (the bandgages hosipitals use for burns and skin grafts).  It worked really well - I'm very fair so, by week three I was getting red and the radiologist thought we might have to stop for a couple of days, but the constant aquafor lubrication sealed in with the xeroforms kept the blisters at bay.  I'm about 7 weeks out of treatment and continued to use this mess until about a weeks ago and my skin color and texture are almost back to normal.

Best,

J

Dx 4/2009, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 12, 2009 06:31AM Alcie1 wrote:

I was told by my rad nurse that one secret is to have dry, not oily skin when going in for rads.  I only put on a little cheap aloe after the treatment to take away the heat I felt after each treatment, and I never burned.  I got a little pink right after treatment, but it went away in an hour or two at worst.

My worst side effect was axillary cording, probably brought on by rads hurting the lymphatic system just under the side of the breast.  I also got fat necrosis around the dye injection site, but that could have been the methylene blue dye itself.

Alcie1

Oct 12, 2009 06:35AM momand2kids wrote:

Linn

I am 6 months out of radiation-- skin looks just as it did before I started--I used aloe lotion from drugstore each day after treatment and slept with aquaphor on my breast each night (washed it off before treatment each morning).   seemed to work well.

good luck

Dx 10/29/2008, ILC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 11/25/2008 Lumpectomy (Right)Chemotherapy 01/16/2009 AdriamycinRadiation Therapy 03/23/2009 ExternalHormonal Therapy 06/15/2009 Femara

Oct 13, 2009 06:48PM linn56 wrote:

Thanks!

Linn DCIS, 1.6 cm, Grade 3, ER+/PR ? (PR test was inconclusive). Lumpectomy 07/ 28, re-excision 08/21 (margin <1mm at chest wall). Radiation will be completed Dec 3.

Dx 7/8/2009, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+

Oct 13, 2009 06:53PM dogsaver wrote:

aquafor healing ointment is awesome. you can get it at most drug stores. biafine is nice too, its prescription but most radiation onc offices have samples to give as well,

lumpectomy, 5 day multi catheter brachy radiation, finished 4 rounds of Taxotere/cytoxan Nov 17th. Under the care of a holistic oncologist as well "IF WE COULDNT LAUGH WE WOULD ALL GO INSANE"- Jimmy Buffet

Dx 5/26/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 2/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 13, 2009 07:21PM AsiaYM wrote:

Thanks Ladies, I am taking notes now for later use. I still need 3 rounds of TAC.  Do you have rest period between chemo finish and Rad.?

Diagnosis: 6/2009, stage IIIa,IDC,TAC

Oct 14, 2009 10:01AM, edited Oct 14, 2009 10:02AM by Rose_wood

After 2 days I discovered I was allergic to Aquaphor.  Switched to pure Fruit of the Earth Aloe Gel (any drugstore, and the clear stuff--not green) and it was like heaven on earth!  Also used plain ol' Walmart variety hydrocortisone for the itchies.  My rad. onc. wasn't much help (her office pushed the Aquaphor) but somewhere on this site I read about the aloe gel and it saved me from insanity  Smile