We are 144,985 members in 73 forums discussing 114,798 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) → Topic: LCIS AND ILC

Topic: LCIS AND ILC

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: Nov 9, 2010 08:21AM, edited Nov 9, 2010 05:25PM by MissTW

MissTW wrote:

I feel like an idiot right now after telling everyone I had only LCIS.

I read my own pathology report and never asked my breast surgeon for an explanation.Then I was told to have radiation, met with new oncology radiologist and he explained all.

I have LCIS and ILC Stage 1B, sentinal node negative so that is good news.

I need 4 weeks of radiation. I am frightened of radiation, is it true the heart and esophagus can be damaged?

I am a stage 3 colon cancer survivor, had 6 months of nightmarish chemo three years ago. You would think I am a brave person because of  my past experience but I am concerned about radiation and side affects.

How safe is tamoxifen? I need that for 5 years too.

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Nov 9, 2010 11:18AM kira1234 wrote:

MissTW, Radiation has changed quite a bit from the past, it is much safer. That being said, which side will you have the radiation on? Are they talking chemo as well? You may want to ask the BS about the Oncotype DX test. It will be used to help determine if you need chemo or not.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with all of this after just 3 short years. You are a brave person, and a survivor. Of course your scared, we all are no matter if it's the first time or not.

I hope later in the day those with much more knowledge than I will come along to give you more info. I didn't do external radiation, I did internal radiation, so don't know much about the external radiation.

Dx 6/1/2010, ILC, <1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 07/10/2010 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Radiation Therapy 08/03/2010 InternalHormonal Therapy 10/05/2010 Aromasin

Nov 9, 2010 05:27PM MissTW wrote:

I was told no chemotherapy was needed,

I had major breast reduction done on both breasts also.

My right breast had the ILC only.

What is an Oncotype DX test? Thank you for the info, I truly appreciate it.

Stage 1 ILC/LCIS er+/pr+ HER - 27 rads, grade 2, 0 Nodes NO CHEMO, ONCOTYPE SCORE 22 Colon Cancer Survivor STage 3, 5FU, Oxilaplatin/Leucovorin

Nov 9, 2010 10:47PM awb wrote:

MissTW----My mom  had ILC (with negative nodes) many years ago--had lumpectomy, radiation, and tamoxifen. She tolerated both well, with fatigue the main SE of the radiation (and had what she described as a "bad sunburn" on the breast), and is now doing well at 81, 24 years later. (How I love to be able to say that!) She also is a survivor of colon cancer twice in the last 8 years. I was diagnosed with LCIS 7 years ago and took tamoxifen for 5 years (now take evista for further prevention of invasive bc) with minimal SEs, mainly hot flashes. Tamox does carry a risk for endometrial cancer and blood clots, but it is very low, less than 1%, and they can monitor you very closely. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

anne

"I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds the future"

Dx 9/5/2003, LCIS, Stage 0, 0/0 nodesSurgery 09/16/2003 Lumpectomy (Right)Hormonal Therapy 10/30/2003 TamoxifenSurgery 04/05/2005 Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Hormonal Therapy 02/28/2009 Evista

Nov 10, 2010 09:35AM kira1234 wrote:

http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/testing/types/oncotype_dx.jsp

This is some info about the Oncotype DX test.

Dx 6/1/2010, ILC, <1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 07/10/2010 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Radiation Therapy 08/03/2010 InternalHormonal Therapy 10/05/2010 Aromasin