We are 144,831 members in 73 forums discussing 114,673 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) → Topic: optimal time for radiation after surgery

Topic: optimal time for radiation after surgery

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: Jan 13, 2011 10:16PM, edited Jan 13, 2011 10:25PM by lear

lear wrote:

I was diagnosed with DCIS -biopsy.Then had lumpectomy/wide incision surgery, then informed I had also ILC 1.1cm. The surgery was September 2010 and I was sent to radiation oncologist, who advised me to go back to the surgeon to have my lymph nodes surgery. I had sentinel node surgery - good news - negative. I will spare you all the details but I need to know is there an optimal time for radiation. I had cancer in the left breast 11 years ago and treatment was soo much faster. Perhaps, I am unfortunate but I have just been given a date finally for my radiation but it will be 17 weeks on Tuesday Jan 11,2011 when I start radiation. I did ask the radiologist oncologist and she said it would be fine give or take the % of her original I have forgotten "with radiation your chance of recurrence dramatically improves". 11 years ago I was told once the scar is healed they would like to follow with radiation within 6 weeks. Is there anyone out there who can answer this question? She also said if it was 6months later she wouldn't advise radiation but next week was still ok to go ahead. This delay was not due to any indecision on my part. Also wondered about Dr. Weiss' cancer and the article in the NY Times. It reads that she had invasive breast cancer and had no radiation or chemotherapy only hormone therapy. I was told that even with a mastectomy I would need radiation. I'm confused. My main concern now is that I am going for radiation when it's passed the time frame to be a benefit. My oncologist says it's ok. Help! 

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Jan 14, 2011 01:10PM momand2kids wrote:

Lear

I just wanted to respond so that you know someone is paying attention... Ihonestly do not have an answer to this--- I had chemo before radiation so by the time I got to radiation it was about 4 months (16 weeks) after my surgery--so it cannot be that uncommon.  

I don't know about Dr. Weiss' treatment--- it could just be the choices she made regarding treatment--I would not worry about it too too much--your treatment is what matters...... 

Dx 10/29/2008, ILC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 11/25/2008 Lumpectomy (Right)Chemotherapy 01/16/2009 AdriamycinRadiation Therapy 03/23/2009 ExternalHormonal Therapy 06/15/2009 Femara

Jan 14, 2011 03:10PM suzieq60 wrote:

My surgery this time was the 30th November - rads to start this coming Monday. But Mom has a good point - last year chemo came first for me, so the rads were much later. They usually wait at least a month until the wound has healed. I'll see if I can find out how long is optimal for you.

Sue

2nd diagnosis October 2010 - IDC 5.8mm node negative - missed on mammogram in October 2009

Dx 10/13/2009, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jan 14, 2011 03:20PM suzieq60 wrote:

Found this:

Should radiation treatment begin right after surgery? How long a delay is safe?
If you are not having chemotherapy, radiation treatment should begin as soon as possible after your incision heals, usually within 8 weeks after surgery. It is generally believed that radiation treatment should not be delayed longer than 12 weeks after surgery, although there is no proof to support this. If you are having chemotherapy, most cancer centres recommend that radiation treatment be delayed until chemotherapy is finished. Sometimes both kinds of treatment are given together. However, there is no evidence that this improves the outcome, and it can increase the risk of unwanted side effects, especially if any of the anthracycline drugs (drugs like Adriamycin) are used as part of your chemotherapy.

and this :

http://news.health.com/2010/03/04/radiation-most-effective-soon-after-breast-cancer-surgery/

2nd diagnosis October 2010 - IDC 5.8mm node negative - missed on mammogram in October 2009

Dx 10/13/2009, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+