We are 144,998 members in 73 forums discussing 114,816 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) → Topic: ILC and Diet (feeling blue)

Topic: ILC and Diet (feeling blue)

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: Jun 3, 2013 09:22PM

Butterflylady2012 wrote:

Hi Ladies, 

Here is my vent time regarding how to eat, what I should eat and why I don't always eat what I should all the time.  I'm a little frustrated with myself!

When I was first diagnosed 13 months ago I stopped eating dairy, rarely meat or chicken becomes of hormones and pretty much gave up sweets.  Now I am becoming more laxed and I don't know why.  Of course, I want to be healthy and PRAY TO GOD that my cancer does not come back.  This terrifies me.  But sometimes I just seem lazy about it.  Sometimes I have cheese now, sometimes I have meat, ect.  This frustrates me because I think it makes me seem like I don't care and I do. 

Can others share how they deal with food and their ILC?  Is there a way I can help myself stay focused?  You'd think having cancer would kick it into my head, but I'm having trouble keeping on target.  PLEASE help!!

Butterflylady (Sharon) 

Posts 1 - 21 (21 total)

Jun 4, 2013 07:54AM mary625 wrote:

I too find that my focus wanes or gets lost from time to time.  First I try to forgive myself for being human and remind myself that I am not going to automatically die because of an indisgression.  There are many women here on these boards who were perfect eaters, vegan and the like, as well as nearly athletes and still got cancer.  I remind myself that the nutrition is just a one-pronged approach among many that I am implementing.  Second I try to read some inspiring articles or just come here into the forum and see if I can get some inspiration.  Hope this helps!  We can all use some support from time to time. 

Dx 8/29/2011, ILC, 1cm, Stage IIIc, Grade 2, 10/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 09/26/2011 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolSurgery 02/06/2012 Mastectomy (Both); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Hormonal Therapy 03/12/2012 FemaraRadiation Therapy 03/13/2012 External

Jun 4, 2013 09:40AM gramwe wrote:

This stupid disease has no rhyme or reason. We do what we can to avoid it coming back, but there are no guarantees that changing diet or increasing or decreasing exercise or balancing on our left eyelash will prevent its return. Don't beat yourself up. If we are blessed to open our eyes to greet a new day, we try to do well that day, if we succeed great, if not we forgive ourselves and go on. We are only human.

Oncotype 16

Dx 1/29/2013, ILC, Stage II, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 3/12/2013, DCISSurgery 03/12/2013 Mastectomy (Right); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Left)Hormonal Therapy 05/28/2013 Femara

Jun 4, 2013 01:45PM Butterflylady2012 wrote:

Thank you for the reality check, yes, sometimes I am just too hard on myself.  I have to give myself some slack.  Even before the cancer, I had to work on this with myself.  Now fear comes into it as well because of the cancer. 

Yesterday evening I had a torta (a mexican sandwhich) at a little mexican restaurant near my house.  It was yummy and it wasn't healthy.  How do you deal with the sweet tooth.  I eat less sugar then I used to, but I know sugar and cancer are not friends at all.  I read about Stevia.  Does anyone recommend this as a substitute?  But for the most part, I eat more veggies (broccoli especially), take supplements (including Vitamin D3) because mine was found to be on the low end.  I was great with my exercise initially, now it has wained a bit.  Now with the nice weather, I have no excuse!

Be kind to yourself, I guess is the consensus.  I will try...thank you, for reminding me that I am human and each day is a new day.  I love you ladies!  

-Sharon 

Dx 4/12/2012, ILC, 3cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 4, 2013 03:16PM Momine wrote:

I find this difficult too. I have rehabbed my diet a great deal, and I try to stick to healthy choices for the most part. 

However, I think you need to find a way of eating that you can live with and that is not a constant struggle. I avoid red meat, for example, but I eat chicken. I checked, hormones are not used in poultry production. Is commercial chicken a super-food? Probably not, but I also don't think a moderate consumption of the stuff is going to give me cancer.

I drink red wine. I drink much less red wine than I used to, but I refuse to give up having a drink once in a while (meaning 2-3X a week).

I eat dairy. I stick to low-fat milk for my coffee, and some low-fat kefir and yogurt. I also eat cheese, but try to average a 1/2 oz (which is VERY little :( ) a day. For all the dairy, I pick goat, sheep or buffalo, as well as organic, whenever practical. OTOH, I do not drive myself nuts over it. The milk for my morning coffee is standard, crap supermarket milk.

Luckily I do not have a sweet tooth, so I have mostly given up sweets. But even there, I do still eat certain sweet things. My morning muesli has raisins in it. I often have a square of dark chocolate. Actual desserts though I usually skip. If I am at a party and there is a dessert I really love, I have some, but I try to save it for stuff I really, really like.

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIb, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 06/20/2011 Cytoxan, Ellence, fluorouracil, TaxotereSurgery 09/13/2011 Mastectomy (Both)Radiation Therapy 01/09/2012 ExternalSurgery 03/08/2012 Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Hormonal Therapy 04/01/2012 Femara

Jun 5, 2013 10:41AM itsjustme10 wrote:

Don't be so hard on yourself...there is no magic diet, there is no food that will hurt you - moderation is the key.  If you read these boards, there are people who have been Vegans forever who got breast cancer, women who are marathon runners who did as well - there's no magic in anything that will prevent it.

Like with anything else, do your best, but don't feel guilty for being human.  If you mess up, it won't hurt you - the guilt it probably worse for you than anything!!  As long as you follow a healthy lifestyle for the most part, you're doing what you can to be healthy.    :)

Jul 13, 2013 11:42AM beachwalker54 wrote:

Hi there, 

I have been on aromasin for 2 months and have found that my appetite has increased.  since dx I have gained around 15 lbs. and i am sure I will hear about this from my MO in 2 weeks.  I think it's a comfort thing, an anger thing to have to even worry about sugar, etc, and just a "can't I be left alone, it's bad enough I have cancer thing.  I realize that fat makes estrogen and isn't healthy anyway but it seems that I want sweets even more now and it's so hard not to give in.  I am trying to eat these things in moderation but find it more difficult than ever.  I am tired from the Al and the rads so that exercising is also more of a challenge.  Then when I think about all the very fit and vegan, etc. women who also get this it makes me want to forget about it all together.  I do make very healthy organic green drinks with flax seed and chia seed, fruit organic protein powder and all of that.  Also try to eat organic meats and fruits when possible. Oh my, but the frozen yogurt place is soooo good.  what to do, what to do???  thanks for letting me vent.  Yell

I lost 45 lbs. 2 years ago and have been able to keep most off for the first year.  I really think that i was growing the cancer in my breast a year after I lost all the weight because my energy and motivation really dropped dramatically and i couldn't understand why.  Nothing showed up on blood work.  Now i wonder if it wasn't my body fighting the d--m breast cancer.  

I am going to do some floor exercises now and then go the gym and will go right past the fro yo place, I hope. 

It doesn't help that I live in a tourist area either because there is all that yummy homemade icecream, fudge, homemade candy, little eateries, etc. around all summerEmbarassed

Also, anyone feel like everyone they see is thin? 

beachwalker54

Dx 1/30/2013, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 14, 2013 06:17PM kar123 wrote:

Everything in moderation  We didn't fight this hard to be miserable and not enjoy life and a good meal/dessert every once in a while!  The only thing the nutritionist told me to stay away from was soy and soy supplements. She emphasized veggies and fruits and lean meats and fish. She also said to enjoy a little dessert now and then.  I gained weight while on arimidex, but have been using Fitness Pal to log my calories and I try to walk briskly at least 30 minutes everyday.  So far lost 15 lbs and have 5 more to go to get to my goal weight.  Unless somebody tells me absolutely don't eat this, as long as my BMI is within recommended guidelines for BC survivors and I keep the walking up, I'm not going to worry about it.  Check out Weesa's post in the Stage III forum.  She has a wonderful outlook on this kind of thing.

Dx 6/2010, ILC, 6cm+, Stage IIIa, Grade 2, 2/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 06/28/2010 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolSurgery 11/17/2010 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Right)Radiation Therapy 01/24/2011 ExternalSurgery 04/04/2011 Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Hormonal Therapy 04/04/2011 ArimidexHormonal Therapy 05/01/2013 Femara

Jul 14, 2013 06:22PM kar123 wrote:

Weesa's post in the Stage III forum is called "Postcards from the edge..." 

Dx 6/2010, ILC, 6cm+, Stage IIIa, Grade 2, 2/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 06/28/2010 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolSurgery 11/17/2010 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Right)Radiation Therapy 01/24/2011 ExternalSurgery 04/04/2011 Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Hormonal Therapy 04/04/2011 ArimidexHormonal Therapy 05/01/2013 Femara

Jul 15, 2013 02:51AM beachwalker54 wrote:

Kar123- thank you for your input.  I'll definetly check out Weesa's post.  part of my problem is that I am recently very tired from the rads (finished 4 wks. ago and the aromasin) i think.  The heat of summer isn't helping.  But this fatigue I have never in my life experienced is really knocking me down. Willmention it to my MO at my 1st. appt. next week.

Jul 15, 2013 03:12AM Momine wrote:

Beach, I was also really dragging myself after rads. I had muscle inflammation from the taxotere, I was thin, looked like a ghost and had to rest twice on the way up an average flight of stairs.

I took a walk every day anyway, although very often it was a slow shuffle around the block. Slowly, as I started to feel better, it became more. I finished rads mid-February, and by late April I was back to walking almost as much as I used to. By May, I started going to the gym. That too was a slow, slow start, but it DOES help, and even if it is slow going you WILL get stronger.

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIb, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 06/20/2011 Cytoxan, Ellence, fluorouracil, TaxotereSurgery 09/13/2011 Mastectomy (Both)Radiation Therapy 01/09/2012 ExternalSurgery 03/08/2012 Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Hormonal Therapy 04/01/2012 Femara

Jul 17, 2013 09:52AM Cozzoli wrote:

Beach, Hang in there.Cool The terms fight and battle are really coming into play with radiation fatigue. It is a fight to get out of bed, a battle to make good food choices, a fight to stay positive and motivated, not to mention the physical battle of getting our tired and worn-out selves to the gym- ugh!!! But motivation is something we have to put on every day- like brushing teeth or taking a shower. I wanted so much to stay in bed the last few days, had a sore throat, and was achy all over.  I told my doc about it and she told me this, "get 30 minutes of cardio this afternoon and have 8 servings of fruits and veggies today, then let me know how you feel tomorrow". I was SO MAD.

But it worked, I dragged (under protest from every cell in my bodyYell) my butt to the Y, did 42 min on the treadmill and ate my fruits and veggies (and half a chicken parm sub).  And.........I feel much better today, not the person I was before treatment, but much better than yesterday. Today will be another challenge to get to gym and eat right....unfortunately, it seems to work. 

A small cup of Frozen yogurt topped with fruit just can't be bad, even with all the sugar. Everything in moderation.

We can do this! 

Veronica

Dx 5/14/2013, ILC, 1cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 05/13/2013 Lumpectomy (Right)Surgery 05/23/2013 Lumpectomy (Right)Radiation Therapy 06/21/2013 ExternalHormonal Therapy 08/23/2013 Tamoxifen

Jul 24, 2013 02:39PM beachwalker54 wrote:

You girls are all awesome!  thanks for the positive reinforcement.  It is definitely a constant struggle for me as I really enjoy eating and have always had a sweet tooth.

good for you cazolli doing 42 minutes of cardio when feeling so crummy!!   I think I am getting more energy back lately as I have been riding my bike around the island to do errands, (while trying not to get mauled by all the tourists).   i will try to find Weesa's post. 

just went and bought some bigger shorts GRRRR!!!

Jul 24, 2013 04:03PM Momine wrote:

Veronica, your post gave me a good chuckle. Good for you and I am glad you feel a little better today. It really is a bitch that it works ;).

I am 2 years past DX, you can see all the fun TX in my siggy, and I am probably in better shape today than I have been in 25 years. You don't have to do anything crazy or heroic, the slow, steady slog wins the day.

Jul 25, 2013 11:30AM beachwalker54 wrote:

momine -

what is a siggy?  it's great that you are in better shape now than years ago.  Is that because of the dx you are getting more exercise?

I like the phrase slow ,teady slog.  I guess that "helps win the race" today is much cooler so i will be out there.

Aug 4, 2013 01:30PM gavinsgrandma wrote:

Hi Ladies, I have not posted here on this thread yet but I was DX with ILC on 5/01/13 had BLM with delaided recon as I am starting chemo 8/15 followed by rads. I too always been a healthy eater, I grew up with a rainbow of colors on my plate and I still eat that way today, I love my wine and like momine said I don't drink it as much as I used to but I am not going to give it up all together but for me there is something very ironic about the sugar and cancer relationship, I quit eating refined sugar about 30 years ago, so I do not have a sweet tooth at all and except what sugar I get in foods or wine I never eat it. I just find that very odd in fact I have had so many people over the years say " I can not believe you don't like sweets, you are so lucky" I do not know how or why I got cancer with no family history but I do agree it is all about balance and moderation and on that note I am off to Chineese Champagne Brunch😄

Shary🌞

Dx 5/31/2013, ILC, 3cm, Stage IIIc, Grade 1, 15/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Radiation Therapy ExternalSurgery 07/18/2013 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Right)Chemotherapy 08/15/2013 Adriamycin, CytoxanChemotherapy 11/08/2013 Taxol, Taxotere

Aug 6, 2013 02:06AM, edited Aug 6, 2013 02:13AM by Momine

beachwalker, when I got my DX I made a point of getting some exercise every day, because I knew that it helped against chemo fatigue and other SEs of treatment. I have always been fairly active, but I got more consistent about it.

During and right after treatment, which amounted to about a year, my exercise was simply walking. Around the anniversary of DX I started going to the gym 3X a week to lift weights (tiny ones) and kept up the walking as well. The result has been that I am now far more toned that I had been in decades and my muscle mass has increased (very good for me, because my muscle mass is unusually low). We were just at a house with a pool last week, and I was able to swim back and forth several times. As a kid and young adult, I couldn't do that, because my arms and chest would ache after about 10 meters, due to lack of adequate muscle.

"Siggy" means signature, i.e. all the info at the bottom of people's posts with their DX and TX information.

Aug 6, 2013 02:10AM Momine wrote:

Shary, I never had much of a sweet tooth either, but something is funky with my glucose metabolism. Right now, my fasting blood sugar is fine, but my H1c, which measures average blood glucose over time, still clocks on the border to pre-diabetic.

Of course, in connection to cancer, the culprit is not sugar, in and of itself, nor is there any difference really to the body between table sugar, honey, white bread etc. The problem appears to be sudden spikes in blood sugar. So I try to eat high-fibre foods and eat some protein along with my carbs. I have also cut way, way back on refined carbs. For a good year or more I ate none at all, now I will sometimes have a few noodles or something, but it is still way less than I used to eat.

Aug 6, 2013 09:02AM LtotheK wrote:

Long time veg who still got cancer.  I think the latest studies, much as I want to deny them, indicate certain kinds of stress break DNA.  I consider myself lucky I didn't die a lot sooner, frankly, based on how I lived.

That said, it is important to echo no one, no doctor, no magician knows precisely what causes cancer, and as my onc said, they likely won't in our lifetime.  I asked her what I should do to minimize risk, and she's all about the hard evidence.  Her advice:  don't binge drink, exercise, and stay lean.

I try to eat a lot of greens, nuts, organic, generally healthy.  I have a sweet tooth.  Stevia's great for some things, it's wretched in coffee.  Keep in mind a couple of studies also indicate too much of anything, including healthy food, can be a problem (the antioxidant debates of late in particular).  There is no magic recipe, nothing we can overload our systems with to truly prevent this.  I am sorry to say my healthiest and leanest friends have had recurrences, right alongside the incredibly unhealthy ones.

If you want to do this to improve your life and health overall, going veg or vegan is also a wonderful way to consider animal welfare, and the environment.  Mark Bittman's VB6 is a fun book with tons of good recipes.

Aug 6, 2013 11:43AM claireinaz wrote:

Shary, cancer is random.  Athletes like me who ate either vegan or vegetarian for years, took supplements, etc etc ad nauseum still got the little  c.  All you can do is try to believe that you have knowledge now to fight back as best you can.  I found that I didn't want alcohol at all during chemo and I think it's ill-advised anyway, but when I began to feel better post chemo I would have a glass of red wine with my MO's blessing. 

I make sure I take Vit D, get regular workout cardio exercise, and take aspirin.  I take my tamoxifen. I try to make good organic choices.  But I try not to obsess about it.  Just being concerned and mindful, you are on the right track.  Good luck with chemo. I can say i was terrified about it but found it wasn't that bad. The ladies on these boards and their suggestions to mitigate SEs helped so much.

Hugs

Claire in AZ

9/29/11 ILC, 2 c. stage II grade 1, ER/PR+ HER2-, 6/11 nodes, lumpectomy, DDAC x 4, Taxol x 12, 33 rads, Tamoxifen to arimidex, BMX/immed recon 7/3/13 "God supposedly gives us only what we can handle. God must think I'm a badass."

Aug 6, 2013 12:40PM gavinsgrandma wrote:

Claire, good to hear from you, I was thinking about you yesterday and wondered how you are doing? I agree it is a crap-shoot and all we can do is be mindful of our choices and our lifestyles🌼
My youngest daughter Molly lives at home and she is on vacation this week, we had a Harry Potter movie marathon yesterday and right now she is making us Smoothies with kale,fruit and protein powder and then we are going to take a walk😄
Momine, sounds like we have similar diets and I defiantly keep up on the exercise, I was just thinking this morning how much I miss and love swimming, so I will ask my BS how soon I can get into a pool, 3 weeks post-op on Thursday.
LtotheK, Ditto on the stress, if that was the culprit I should have been gone long ago😕
P.S thank's for responding, I am on the August chemo thread and I think I am invisible there😕

Shary🌞

Dx 5/31/2013, ILC, 3cm, Stage IIIc, Grade 1, 15/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Radiation Therapy ExternalSurgery 07/18/2013 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Right)Chemotherapy 08/15/2013 Adriamycin, CytoxanChemotherapy 11/08/2013 Taxol, Taxotere

Aug 6, 2013 11:35PM claireinaz wrote:

Hi Shary, I'm doing okay...will post on the July 13 surgery site!  Hugs

Claire

9/29/11 ILC, 2 c. stage II grade 1, ER/PR+ HER2-, 6/11 nodes, lumpectomy, DDAC x 4, Taxol x 12, 33 rads, Tamoxifen to arimidex, BMX/immed recon 7/3/13 "God supposedly gives us only what we can handle. God must think I'm a badass."