We are 144,837 members in 73 forums discussing 114,674 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After → Topic: How long does Femara stay in your system?

Topic: How long does Femara stay in your system?

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After — Risks and benefits, side effects, and costs of anti-estrogen medications.

Posted on: Nov 7, 2007 10:22AM, edited Nov 7, 2007 10:22AM by amg

amg wrote:

I am going to take at least a little break from Femara, and I was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to completely leave your system??  Thanks so much!!

Posts 1 - 10 (10 total)

Nov 7, 2007 02:45PM planetstrands wrote:

i am curious about that, but i can't help. while we're at it, i have been wondering the same thing about aromasin. how long for the SEs to ease off?

adele

lancaster, pa 

"i will carry you through the hurricane waters", citizen cope

Dx 4/1/2003, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 3/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 8, 2007 02:12AM Hana wrote:

I finished Femara end of August this year. I was taking also Didrocal for bones. Since I finished that one now too, I went to my doctor to confirm that I don't need to take it any more since I am finished with Femara.

NOT SO.... She said that because it takes long time for my body to get rid of Femara, I still have to take Didrocal for minimum another 6 months. So I guess we can  presume, that at least 6 more months after stopping taking it, we still have Femara in our system.

Hana

Nov 8, 2007 06:03AM amg wrote:

Thanks so much for your response, and congratulations on finishing up with Femara!!

I haven't quite decided what I am going to do yet.  I am premenopusal and have been receiving Zoladex/Femara shots for the past two years.  I know this is controversial, and so I am going for one more opinion.

Congrats again!

Nov 8, 2007 10:10PM Simone wrote:

Hana are you sure that it take 6 months.

I would have said not very long because when you read the medical sites describing the medication you understand that femara works on a day our two day basis.   That is why they say that if you have forgotte you pill wait for the day after.  And that is why the advise you  also to try not to forget to take it.  And that all the sides effects go as soon as you stop taking femara.

Nov 9, 2007 12:55AM Hana wrote:

I don't know. I trust my doctor as she is a "Smart Cookie" as I was told by Emergency Staff in the hospital.Smile

What you are saying sounds right too. Then again - the bone pills I am advised to take for another 6 months are not going to cause me any harm. So be it.

I was happy to stop Femara. I was feeling great within couple weeks but I think it was more less hopeful wish because my hair didn't stop falling out and I had to start Tylenol for back pain, or joint pain or hands pain again - you know the drill. Of course - it has been only two months since I stopped.

So - jury is still out Undecided

Hana

Nov 12, 2007 07:05PM biondi wrote:

been off femara 6 mo, after taking it 6 mo. most all side effects have diminished, except for trigger thumbs, sore joints/bone pain. that is still going strong.. never had any pain before femara.

Nov 14, 2007 10:57PM colleenperry_1 wrote:

In 1999 my cancer  was stage 1, node neg. estrogen/ pro positve. I was on Tomixifen for 4 years and have been on Femara 2 1/2. I am now not able to afford it. I am 54. Any ideas if I have been on adj. therapy long enough?

Nov 14, 2007 11:02PM colleenperry_1 wrote:

ALso I did 8 rounds of chemo-CMF and 30 days of radiation. I had a lumpectomy Thanks for any info or info where I can get femara free or very very low cost.

Sep 2, 2010 03:25PM janatoo wrote:

I still had triple triggers in both painful/useless thumbs until I started taking an Omega 3, 6, 9 blend. Within 3 days I could tell they were going to heal. 2 months later I'm happy to say my thumbs are back to the same thumbs I had all my life, before Femara. I stopped taking Femara (after 6 months) 6 months ago, but I didn't know if my thumbs would ever be ok again, so I'm very happy. I wish someone had told me sooner. Best of luck to you..

Sep 17, 2010 09:47PM, edited Sep 17, 2010 09:48PM by vhqh

I got free samples of Femara from my oncologist for nearly a year.  Aparently the free sample program has ended and the onc is saving what they have left for the ladies with no insurance at all.  Now there is a program where you can get your prescription filled for $10.  Here is a link -

http://www.femara.com/index.jsp

IDC, er+/pr +, her2 +++, stage IV