We are 144,898 members in 73 forums discussing 114,714 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After → Topic: tamoxifen/menopause weight gain

Topic: tamoxifen/menopause weight gain

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After — Risks and benefits, side effects, and costs of anti-estrogen medications.

Posted on: Mar 27, 2008 02:17PM

bluesky wrote:

I am 43 years old and I was diagonsed with breast cancer in October 2006, I had 8 rounds of chemo and 30 rounds of radiation, I have been on tamoxifen for 1 year, and I have put on 20 pounds since everthing, most of the weight gain occured when I started the tamoxifen, I was also put into menopause by the chemo.  I was very slim when all of this started and am beside myself, I am grateful to be once again healthy, but very very upset over this weight gain, I also don't feel super healthy, I am constantly tired, I was very very healthy, can someone give any advice on how they coped, or lost weight and did this happen to anyone else?

Page 2 of 2 (47 results)

Posts 31 - 47 (47 total)

Apr 14, 2008 08:44PM gilpatsgirl wrote:

Bluesky (Allman Bros. fan?) I have also been struggling with a rapidly changing body thanks to tamoxifen and chemo induced menopause. What I've done recently is pretty much eliminate what I most crave...sweets, sweets and more sweets. I got away with eating alot of it when I was younger because I've always been active. Now, when I want a sweet, 9 times out of ten, it's a fruit. I'm having a love affair with apples! I've also realized that I can't get away with "stress" eating...eating when I'm feeling stressed. I'm trying not to eat anything processed. It's working slowly. I feel better. I hope this helps. I'm 49 and feeling fine!

Dx 2/3/2006, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 16, 2008 06:55PM michmom wrote:

Bluesky,  Hang in there.  I know exactly what you're feeling and the discouragement that comes along with all this.   It's like I don't know what else to do.  I thought about Weight Watchers but if its the tamox  I wonder if it will make a difference, so I just watch my diet carefully.

I have 2 questions to throw out to all of you.  I am having an issue with elevated liver enzymes that may have come with the extra weight or possibly from the tamox.  The doctors have been sending me for a whole slew of test with the reults being fatty depositis on the liver and a gall stone (none of which has given me any symptoms)  Has anyone else had this??

My second question is whether any one of you wonderful ladies ever took a "vacation" from the tamox to see if the side effects subside??

Any suggestions would help.

Michele

Apr 17, 2008 07:53AM bluesky wrote:

hi michmom,

i don't know the answers to your questions, but hopefully someone will come along and with some input. as far as taking a vacation from tamoxifen i think it would take a while for se to subside as there is an accumulation in our system.

the other thing that i am mad as hell about is that radiation damaged my thyroid so last july after one month of ending radiation my tsh count went very low, it has taken 6 months and still the doctor has not figured out the correct dose of synthroid, so this week he increased the dose and i also found out that i gained 9 lbs in four months, i was so upset, because i have been really trying to lose weight. i just hope and pray the gain stops, it's really really devastating to me after everything that we go thru with bc to now have to battle the buldge. i was 125lbs and have gained 25 pounds, i am so uncomfortable and unhappy!!

did anyone else have their thyroid damaged from radiation and did they lose the weight once they started taking synthroid?

Dx 10/25/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 4/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 17, 2008 05:11PM michmom wrote:

Bluesky,  I didn't have radiation but I wanted to send you hugs :)

Hopefully one day we will all be past this and our skinny selves again!

Michele

Apr 17, 2008 05:13PM bluesky wrote:

michmom- thank you for the hugs, back at you.

Apr 18, 2008 06:07PM choco wrote:

Bluesky, you always seem so positive and helpful, I wish I could say something to bring you up.  I know, we all know, just about everything you're going through.  You said that we have to accept and love ourselves despite the way we look.  I keep trying to remind myself that even though I may not be beautiful on the outside (that's my opinion of myself) I am still beautiful on the inside, though my husband insists he loves the way I look.  I can make people laugh and bring them up when they're down, and, in my opinion, again, am fun to be around. ha ha!!  I keep trying to remind myself that if I keep staying with my negative attitude that I'm letting the cancer win. It doesn't always work because, like the others, I don't think I look that bad until I see myself in a photograph.  I was a size 6 before tamoxifen and now am a 12.  It's very depressing, but I am going to try not to let it get the best of me.  This support group has helped me more than anything.  Thanks to all of you for sharing your lives with us.

Apr 19, 2008 10:56AM bluesky wrote:

choco-thanks for the post, and it's good to hear that you are trying to fight the negative feelings. it is very hard though, i'm a fairly positive person, but i have to say the weight gain for me has been even harder than the bc, with the bc, i had the surgery they took it out, i had the tx and kicked it's ass out of me. but the weight gain is just stuck and won't budge and keeps increasing, because of my damaged thyroid from radiation and menopause from chemo, i'm now on synthroid. i keep telling myself don't give up, just keep going and a shift will occur.

i was a size 4 and am now a 10. i have not taken any photographs, i can barely look in the mirror. this support group has really helped me as well. let's just keep trying and hopefully soon there will be a change and we can all go back to our beautiful slim, fit, healthy bodies.

Apr 23, 2008 12:09PM jdg1 wrote:

I have not started Tamoxifen yet, but have noticed I do have a belly now.  I think mine is from being in Menopause.  I am not sure.

Infiltrating Ductal In-Situ Stage IIB Grade 1 No node involvment, ER/PR + HER 2 -, Oncotype DX 17

Dx 5/30/2007, IDC, 0/2 nodes

Apr 24, 2008 06:59AM 2dogsnburg wrote:

So glad I found this thread, since  I started tamox 4 months ago I have gained 8 pounds!! I eat less work out more and nothing seems to help. Just good to know its not all in my head(more like my belly and behind).

Dx 7/19/2007, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+

Apr 24, 2008 07:40AM kiki wrote:

Hey ladies, add me to the list of people who can't seem to loose any weight.  I'm 41 and chemopausal, on tamoxifen too.  Yes belly fat, leg fat, butt fat.  Not like I was thin before, but I was able to loose when I tried.  Now it is like I have the appetite of a sumo wrestler.  I have no ability to control this ravaging hunger, it (I) am completely out of control and hating myself for it.  Every day I wake up and say today will be different, I will be able to control it.  Every day I fail!! I hate this.  I'm going to have to call in fat soon cause I have no clothing left to wear to work.

Bluesky, haven't seen you on the bitchin thread lately.  How's the job hunt going??  I've been thinking of you.

Laugh today do housework tomorrow!

Dx 6/4/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 24, 2008 09:39AM bluesky wrote:

hi kiki-sorry to hear about your weight issues, it is so hard to lose, i have been trying for months, i've been on it for a year, initially my appetite was out of control, but now it seems to have diminished.

the job hunting is not going well, still nothing, i've been looking for four months, really starting to panic now!!! gggggrrrr.

i noticed you are from canada, i'm canadian from toronto, what part of canada are you from?

Apr 24, 2008 10:45AM kiki wrote:

Hey Bluesky, sorry about the job thing that really sucks.  I can't imagine how frustrating that must be for you.

I'm not too far from Toronto, Burford to be exact about 2 hours southwest of TO. Do you still have family in the area?

Apr 24, 2008 11:44AM bluesky wrote:

hi kiki-yes all my family is still in toronto and i visit often, i've been thinking that i may move back there if i don't find a job soon, i've been in nyc for 11 years and am very tired of the stressful life.

i've never been to burford.

Apr 24, 2008 05:02PM kiki wrote:

Well Burford is a "don't blink or you'll miss it" kinda town.  Let me know if you do move back, maybe we could meet up some time!

Apr 24, 2008 05:25PM, edited Apr 24, 2008 05:27PM by Curlylocks

Hi Kiki

I am also from Southwestern Ontario - Acton to be exact!

I am 43 soon to be 44 in May and have struggled with the weight loss issue too.  I am chemically menopausal through Zoladex injections and on Armidex for almost 2 years.  

Loosing the weight is hard work, I have had to cut down my food portions, watch what I eat religiously, exercise at least 3 days a week doing 35 minutes on the eclipse along with weights, cutting out the junk and sweets.  I also drink alot of water.

I started working out faithfully since end of February and finally I am down 8.5 pounds since beginning of March.  Keep trying its so worth it when you start to see results!   The thing that totally sucks is that I cant allow myself to go back to my old habits of eating or it will come right back on....

All the best in your weight loss!

Michele 

Dx 10/23/2005, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 3/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 1/9/2014, IDC, <1cm, Grade 1, ER-/PR-, HER2-Surgery 11/09/2005 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Chemotherapy 12/05/2005 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolHormonal Therapy 05/01/2006 ArimidexRadiation Therapy 06/01/2006 ExternalSurgery 05/03/2008 Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Surgery 12/16/2013 Prophylactic Mastectomy (Both); Reconstruction: DIEP flap (Both)Chemotherapy 02/11/2014 Cytoxan, Taxotere

Apr 25, 2008 10:48AM bluesky wrote:

curlylocks-congradulations on the weight lose, that's great!! keep it up.  i will be in touch with both of you if i come back to toronto and maybe we can meet...take care, happy spring and lot's of weight lose!

Apr 25, 2008 06:21PM Curlylocks wrote:

Thanks Bluesyke,

I wish you the best in your weight loss challenge too!

Your bc sister

Michele 

Dx 10/23/2005, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 3/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 1/9/2014, IDC, <1cm, Grade 1, ER-/PR-, HER2-Surgery 11/09/2005 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Chemotherapy 12/05/2005 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolHormonal Therapy 05/01/2006 ArimidexRadiation Therapy 06/01/2006 ExternalSurgery 05/03/2008 Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Surgery 12/16/2013 Prophylactic Mastectomy (Both); Reconstruction: DIEP flap (Both)Chemotherapy 02/11/2014 Cytoxan, Taxotere

Page 2 of 2 (47 results)