We are 144,815 members in 73 forums discussing 114,658 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After → Topic: Black and Blue Bruises?

Topic: Black and Blue Bruises?

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After — Risks and benefits, side effects, and costs of anti-estrogen medications.

Posted on: Jun 25, 2009 03:34PM

MarketingMom wrote:

I posted thi in my bisphosphonate trial group forum, but I thought I'd ask others if they are noticing any odd bruising or if they find themselves bruing more?

I'm on my 7th month of my trial now. Other than the Hot Flashes and the monthly OS shots, I'm okay with the side effects which have been minimal.

What I have noticed though is that I have had lots of bruise marks that show up black and blue when i don't recall bumping into anything real hard or falling. My husband will just point out and say, "What happened there?" They just show up for no reason. Anyone else have this issue?

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Jun 25, 2009 03:42PM lovinmomma wrote:

I am getting that too!!!

Kimberly 45 yo fighter

Dx 10/1/2008, ILC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 26/26 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy XelodaChemotherapy 10/02/2008 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxotereSurgery 05/07/2009 Mastectomy (Both); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection, Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Right); Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Hormonal Therapy 05/12/2009 FemaraSurgery 07/10/2011 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)Chemotherapy 09/24/2012 AbraxaneChemotherapy 01/28/2013 Halaven

Jun 25, 2009 09:45PM Member_of_the_Club wrote:

Not sure if this is relevant but I got this the first few months on tamoxifen and then it went away.

Dx 9/30/2004, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIb, Grade 2, 1/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 11, 2009 10:58PM msvirgo828 wrote:

I just posted this in another forum...looking for answers too

OMG..i thought it was me. I had bruising on and off one or two every saw often and chalked it up to me being clumsy. Today I went shopping with my GF and when I looked in the full lenght mirror my thighs had black and blue marks all over them. I called my GF over to see and her facial expression was priceless. I called the overnight oncall doctor and MSKCC. He asked me what kind of cancer and treatment. I told him. He said unless I start bleeding from any part of my body I don't need to come into urgent care. He also did ask if they hurt. He's going to shot a note to my doctor to let her know. He said if I was on chemo he would be worrried about my count.

God doesn't give you more than you cand handle...keep your head up and hopes high.

Dx 4/30/2003, IDC, Stage IV, mets, ER+

Jul 12, 2009 11:53AM Kleenex wrote:

I have recently noticed (started Tamoxifen on 12/1/08) that if I do have a bump, I will get a much bigger bruise than before. My daughter playfully punched me in the arm, and I had a purple/red bruise that faded to a lovely purple/green/yellow and lasted for over a week. Currently, I have an attractive bruise on my left thigh from bumping into a side table in my living room. Is there anything prettier than a big, colorful, long-lasting thigh bruise during shorts season? Nope. Hadn't thought of Tamoxifen as the cuprit (these have been much bigger and longer-lasting bruises than I would normally get), but now I will look into that. Let me know what you learn, ladies!

Dx 6/19/2008, ILC, 2cm, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 12, 2009 02:41PM Cher61 wrote:

Hi Kleenex,

I started in February 09, and in the last month or so, have noticed the same thing with the bruising.  When I really started to think about it was when I had just scrapped my sneaker against my calf and within an hour there was a bruise under the scrape mark.  That night I did a whole body check, since I am somewhat clumsy.  I found a few more.  I am thinking of taking in more fruits with vit. 'c', but will call my nurse navigator and see what she knows.  I agree with the shorts season, and along with being unsightly, bruises aren't healthy as far as I know.  I'll get back to you wiith what I find. 

Cher61

Dx 11/7/2008, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-