We are 144,874 members in 73 forums discussing 114,700 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After → Topic: Elevated Liver enzymes on Femara??

Topic: Elevated Liver enzymes on Femara??

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After — Risks and benefits, side effects, and costs of anti-estrogen medications.

Posted on: Aug 9, 2010 02:25PM

cp418 wrote:

Anyone have information about eleveated liver enzymes while taking Femara?  I just started my 3rd year on this drug and of course take a ton of supplments.  I have to go back in 4 weeks and get re-tested and then scanned if still elevated.  I'm re-thinking to cut out some supplements maybe?? what to do and what could have caused it now?  Also, elevated potassium???

AST normal range 13-41 and I am 59

Potassium normal range 3.5-5.0 and I am 5.5

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Aug 9, 2010 02:32PM cp418 wrote:

Also, I had Shingles in March and took Valtrax for the blisters.  I see it may cause elevated liver enzymes but it has been several months now. 

Aug 9, 2010 03:28PM, edited Aug 9, 2010 03:29PM by dlb823

cp418 ~ I just took a look at information on Femara, as well as information about higher than desireable potassium levels.  I'm not a doctor, but the thing that I'd probably want checked if I were you is kidney function.  Femara can affect it, and it, in turn, affects our potassium levels.  That's just my first observation in comparing info' from the two links below.  The other thing I wondered about is, I know Femara can weaken our bones, and too much calcium in the blood from IV calcium can cause too-high potassium levels.  Do you know if Femara actually leeches calcium from our bones and spills it into our blood???  Or, are you also getting a bone building drug?  You may recognize other potential explanations by cross referencing these 2 sites:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-effects-of-high-potassium-levels.htm

http://www.rxlist.com/femara-drug.htm

I also found this page on elevated liver enzymes:  http://www.elevatedliverenzymes.net/   Quite a few herbal things, as well as "infections" (maybe Shingles?) and medications on the list of potential causes.  Also on Valtrex, "Liver Enzyme Abnormalities" and "Renal Failure" are clearly listed as potential SEs.     www.rxlist.com/valtrex-drug.ht...     

Hope this helps, and hopefully its nothing that won't resolve itself, maybe even taking a break from Femara, if that possibly becomes more suspect in the picture  ~ Deanna

"The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears" Native American proverb

Dx 2/1/2008, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 1/3/2014, Stage IV

Aug 9, 2010 04:27PM cp418 wrote:

dlb823 - - Thank you so much for the links.  I have osteopenia from Femara and actually received my 4th Zometa infusion today.  I take a large amount of Calcium supplements for my osteopenia, but my blood Calcium value is normal (middle value).  I will ask about the Valtrax - - it's been about 10 weeks since I had flow blown shingles blisters.  I thought it would take a while for your system to recover from the viral load.  Thanks!!

Aug 9, 2010 04:50PM dlb823 wrote:

cp ~ Speaking of osteopenia and calcium supplements, you might find this article very interesting.  Lots of great information in it that really made sense to me!  Don't know if any of it ties into the things about which you have a concern and originally posted, but well worth reading...

http://www.jonbarron.org/heart-health-program/nl100809/killer-calcium.php

"The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears" Native American proverb

Dx 2/1/2008, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 1/3/2014, Stage IV

Aug 9, 2010 06:15PM Calico wrote:

Hey cp418,

the potassium level had me once on the edge too. The onc asked if I take licorice (sp?), which I didn't ....so I thought...it was a component in milk thistle at the time....I also ate a lot of bok choy daily (you know the cabbage kills cancer therory...I was testing it ;) ) as well as a lot of mushrooms. I ditched all of these, including the milk thistle when I saw it contained licorice...everything went back to normal....I don't know what caused it....bananas have a lot of potassium too.

Hope all is well with you and you figure it out.

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics

Dx IDC, Stage IIa, Grade 2, ER+, HER2-

Aug 9, 2010 06:16PM cp418 wrote:

Thank you  - -  I've decided taht I will cut back on my Calcium supplements.  I certainly have been taking high doses to reverse the osteopenia.  Of course, heart disease runs in my family.

Aug 10, 2010 05:53AM, edited Aug 10, 2010 05:53AM by cp418

I just checked the lab report again and saw the footnote attached for the Potassium result.  When ever a blood drawal is hemolyzed you will get a falsely elevated Potassium level.  Basically the red blood cells are damaged and burst open during the needle stick and Potassium leaks into the serum being tested.  This gives an invalid high result.  I am going to stop the supplement for the next month until blood is retested. 

Calico - I take all the mushroom, Tumeric, Tocomin (spelling???) on top of calcium, vit D, Co Q, Omega 3.  Sometimes what I took in the morning and may have been double dosing in the eveing.  Too much of a good thing is bad too.