We are 144,837 members in 73 forums discussing 114,674 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After → Topic: Hair Loss and Tamoxifen

Topic: Hair Loss and Tamoxifen

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After — Risks and benefits, side effects, and costs of anti-estrogen medications.

Posted on: Jun 25, 2011 08:26AM, edited Jun 25, 2011 08:28AM by mrsbeasley38

mrsbeasley38 wrote:

I thought I had been losing more hair than usual lately.  But after 3.5 mnths on "T" I noticed a BARE patch on my scalp about size of .5 in by .5 inch above one of my ears.  Very noticeable when my hair is pulled back.  I have not had any other problems since starting 'cept a little warmness in the night when I sleep.  I also started a synthroid drug that may cause hair loss 4 months ago.  I did not notice any extra hair loss from the synthroid  after being on it for 4 weeks.  My bathroom floor seemed to have more hair on it that was visible after on month of tammie.  :(  I think I saw where someone took Biotin for hair loss while they were on "T" and am wondering if those persons or anyone has had any experience with this.

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Jun 29, 2011 09:10AM nancy2721 wrote:

Me too!!! Sorry, to say. I have been on Tamoxifen for 11 months and knew my hair was getting thinner. I have been on and off meds for Lyme disease for years and attributed to that. But....in the last several weeks I noticed the same spots as you when my hair is pulled back. I used to have so much hair..thick and full. Not anymore. I keep telling myself to be grateful that hair loss is the least of my problems. I hate tamoxifen ...but I think of it as my healing "T" every morning...I'm going to stick with it. Take care ~Nancy

Dx 1/7/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 29, 2011 10:44AM Sherryc wrote:

I have been on Tamox almost 5 months.  AFter being on it three months went to get my haircut and my hairdresser said I was lossing my hair.  I had already notice some spots that were very thin.  I am taking 5000mcg of biotin and my hairdresser put me on Nioxin treatments.  I do think it is slowing down a bit.

Sherry--lump left breast 9/30/10. No chemo, Zometa-6tx over 3 years.Oncotype score 23 with 14% recurrence rate. 34 rads. No family history, BRCA neg. 48 years old @ diagn. BMX/TE 3/26/2012, Exchange surgery 8/21/12, Revision surgery 11/27/12

Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 05/12/1997 Lumpectomy (Left)Surgery 09/30/2010 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Radiation Therapy 12/03/2010 ExternalHormonal Therapy 02/07/2011 TamoxifenSurgery 11/03/2011 Lumpectomy (Right)Surgery 03/26/2012 Mastectomy (Both); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both)Surgery 08/21/2012 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)Surgery 11/27/2012 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)

Jun 29, 2011 11:38AM suzanneinphoenix wrote:

My hair really thinned out while taking Tamoxifen.  It's not getting any better being on Aromasin.  I now own three pretty nice wigs, with a fourth one coming from an online shop Kiss  You can my scalp clear thru my thinning hairs.........I am on Biotin....guess I will look into Nioxin.  I didn't have to do chemo, so I really wasn't prepared for this amount of hair loss...........oh well.
Dx 6/23/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 29, 2011 01:34PM noellech wrote:

No hair loss for me on tamox. Could possibly be related to overall hormone levels. I would think tamox would help. I understood that it acts like estrogen in most of the body except breast tissue and a few other areas. I took biotin as a young woman for hair loss, and my hair really grew, on my head and everywhere else!! Good luck and stay strong.

Dx 6/21/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 1, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+