We are 144,778 members in 73 forums discussing 114,594 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment → Topic: Iodine as an adjuvant therapy like Tamox

Topic: Iodine as an adjuvant therapy like Tamox

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Jul 23, 2008 11:37PM

anondenet wrote:

Newest study on Iodine as a possible nontoxic adjuvant therapy 

Int J Med Sci. 2008 Jul 8;5(4):189-96

Iodine Alters Gene Expression in the MCF7 Breast Cancer Cell Line: Evidence for an Anti-Estrogen Effect of Iodine.

Brooks AD, Johannes GJ.

1. Department of Surgery, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA.

The protective effects of iodine on breast cancer have been postulated from epidemiologic evidence and described in animal models. The molecular mechanisms responsible have not been identified but laboratory evidence suggests that iodine may inhibit cancer promotion through modulation of the estrogen pathway. To elucidate the role of iodine in breast cancer, the effect of Lugol's iodine solution (5% I(2), 10% KI) on gene expression was analyzed in the estrogen responsive MCF-7 breast cancer cell line. Microarray analysis identified 29 genes that were up-regulated and 14 genes that were down-regulated in response to iodine/iodide treatment.

The altered genes included several involved in hormone metabolism as well as genes involved in the regulation of cell cycle progression, growth and differentiation. Quantitative RT-PCR confirmed the array data demonstrating that iodine/iodide treatment increased the mRNA levels of several genes involved in estrogen metabolism (CYP1A1, CYP1B1, and AKR1C1) while decreasing the levels of the estrogen responsive genes TFF1 and WISP2. This report presents the results of the first gene array profiling of the response of a breast cancer cell line to iodine treatment.

In addition to elucidating our understanding of the effects of iodine/iodide on breast cancer, this work suggests that iodine/iodide may be useful as an adjuvant therapy in the pharmacologic manipulation of the estrogen pathway in women with breast cancer.

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Jul 24, 2008 12:15AM dga wrote:

I have Lugol's and want to use it. How much per day & is it applied directly on breast? 

Jul 25, 2008 12:20AM carol1949 wrote:

You can read lots about Lugol's iodine, by Googleing it.  My understanding is you should take 6-10 drops of Lugol's iodine daily.  You can put it in juice or milk.  You can also "paint" it on the breast.  Years ago, I had a dr. treat my thyroid with Lugol's iodine and at that time I think I was on 4-6 drops per day.  There seems to be a connection.

Good Luck

Dx 4/4/2008, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIb, ER+, HER2-

Jul 27, 2008 11:17PM, edited Jan 21, 2011 11:41AM by anondenet

Lugol's drops are not reliable.

Don't want to be defined by my stats-- this would be medical hexing.

Jul 28, 2008 03:14PM pod1257 wrote:

I was just reading in my Breast Cancer Wellness magazine about the positive effects of iodine. Apparently some researchers think it is as good as chemo in eliminating cancer cells. The article specifically mentioned wakame seaweed as having alot of iodine.

Julie

Jul 29, 2008 06:45PM, edited Jan 21, 2011 11:42AM by anondenet

Julie,

Apparently scientists were going to compare one group taking chemo with one group taking Iodine. The study approval fell thru. Even tho you cannot induce tumors in rats who are given enough iodine. They simply cannot be given cancer with perchlorate (cancer-producer).

Aug 2, 2008 12:44AM pod1257 wrote:

Hi Anom,

Yes, the magazine is online. The article is in the summer 08 issue. The site is breastcancerwellness.org - They will provide a FREE subscription to any breast cancer survivor.

I have been receiving mine for about a yr and find the articles helpful and informative.

Julie

Aug 2, 2008 10:09AM jason222 wrote:

Hi,
I am wondering, does iodine works for all type of breast cancer (including triple negative), or only for hormone positive bc?

Aug 8, 2008 09:44AM, edited Dec 20, 2009 03:40PM by anondenet

Iodine works on breast disease in several documented ways including altering genes. It works more than on the estogen receptors. That is one of the exciting things about iodine.