We are 144,776 members in 73 forums discussing 114,616 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment → Topic: Near Infrared Saunas: A Discussion

Topic: Near Infrared Saunas: A Discussion

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Mar 5, 2011 12:52PM, edited Mar 5, 2011 12:56PM by TheDivineMrsM

TheDivineMrsM wrote:

I searched to see if there was a topic specifically devoted to this subject ~near infrared saunas~ but didn't see one, so I decided to start one.  There also seems to be a slight debate if this type is better for cancer than a far infrared sauna.

You can see what I've gone thru lately by reading my Dx in the signature line.  In dealing with BC, I'm searching ways to compliment the medical treatement I'm receiving.  One thing that has started to pop up in my research is the use of near infrared saunas to help the healing process.  I would even consider purchasing one if I believe they are effective.

So I'm asking those of you on the forum if you've tried this treatment, and/or purchased a sauna for your home use, what your opinion is about it.

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Mar 6, 2011 08:34PM impositive wrote:

I have a far infrared sauna.  I don't know about the differences in near or far but I've owned it for nearly a month now and I try to use it everyday. I love it.  I went through a sort of detox, my skin broke out in an ugly, itchy rash.  I hope the detox is a sign of healing.  I am just now getting over it and my skin tone is starting to look better.  I am most always cold so I am hoping this helps to increase my core body temperature, as well.  It was a little costly but I would definitely recommend it.

Mar 7, 2011 09:57PM SaunaLover wrote:

Dr. Larry Wilson and a well know cancer nutrition expert named Pamela McDougal both recommend near infrared as more effective for cancer. They have experience and have seen good results. Near infrared is relatively inexpensive and very easy to use and maintain. There is no reason not to add it to your healing program. Also, near infrared has positive cellular effects that far infrared does not. So I think it has more to offer. You can read about it on Dr. Wilson's site, www.drlwilson.com and see some good saunas at http:/www.nearinfraredsauna.com. 

And, yes, I have a near infrared sauna and I use it 5x a week. Be prepared for detox and healing reactions when you use it and start slow. Best wishes! 

Mar 8, 2011 09:21AM leggo wrote:

I love my infrared sauna; I doubt, though, that it does anything to "heal" cancer and it's symptoms.

Dx IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 26/35 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Mar 8, 2011 06:59PM impositive wrote:

I wish I had known about the differences between 'near' and 'far'.  SaunaLover is right.  I've used it everyday and I it took about 3 weeks to get past the herxheimer reaction I had.

Jul 6, 2012 01:23AM lmgr wrote:

We have a sauna that has near, mid and far infrared settings. We are blessed because we have a spa/movement therapy center and when I was first diagnosed with b/c my husband and I decided to invest in this multiple device. We had a far infrared sauna already, but I can say that that I did notice a difference using the near.

I used it in-between 4 lumpectomies and now, 3 1/2 weeks post op mastectomy, just started using it.

I have an expander implant. The company could not tell me anything about the expander handling heat. So I am keeping it low and short to start since the port is metal. So far I am fine and felt amazing after my first start at Gyrotonic therapeutic exercises followed by near infrared! I surprised myself.

My hope is to heal and educate at the same time. -With light and grace. lm 

Nov 4, 2013 10:09AM Lmimp64 wrote:

hello,

I am reading contradictions on the Internet regarding the safety of infrared saunas and silicone implants. The implant manufacturer said they have no studies and to ask for studies from the sauna manufacturers. The manufacturers say that metal and plastic reflect infrared but had no studies to send me. My doctor does not know. Before I make a substantial financial commitment, I would love more data. I'm looking at a full spectrum to get the far for detox and the near for cells. Does anyone have any data or advice they have found?

Dx 11/1/2012, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 01/09/2013 Mastectomy (Right); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)Chemotherapy 02/13/2013 Cytoxan, TaxotereSurgery 05/31/2013 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)Hormonal Therapy 06/04/2013 TamoxifenSurgery 07/10/2013 Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Left)Surgery 07/30/2013 Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Right)