We are 145,005 members in 73 forums discussing 114,829 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment → Topic: Epsom Salts -is it safe?

Topic: Epsom Salts -is it safe?

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Jan 11, 2012 02:47PM

naturegirl2 wrote:

Not sure what forum to put my question in as I did not see 'natural' treaments/questions for BC survivors.  Anyway, my question is, Is it safe to soak in Epsom Salts for breast cancer survivors?

Anyone?

Posts 1 - 12 (12 total)

Jan 11, 2012 02:49PM rosemary-b wrote:

I sure hope so. I do that several times a week.

Dx 2/25/2007, IDC, Stage I, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jan 11, 2012 05:00PM MariannaLaFrance wrote:

I have an Epsom salt bath every night... Should be very good for bc women, as it contains magnesium (which a lot of folks are deficient in) and sulphur. Your body needs both for optimal functioning. Not to mention the benefit of very restful sleep!

Dx 1/26/2010, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 11, 2012 09:07PM naturegirl2 wrote:

Hi rosemary-b.  Did your doctor recommend epsom salts?  If so,or not what for? 

Hi marianna, did your oncol. recommend epsom salts bath or did you decide to to this on your own due to sore muscles/stress etc?

Others?

I now see where I should have put this thread in Alternative Medicines - mods, can you do this for me?  Thanks

DX July 1991 IDCI ER/PR-stage 1(1.1 cm) DX Jan.2007 IDC Her-2/neg ER+Stage 1 Mastectomy left breast DX-Nov.2012 Stage IV-Mets ER+PR+ Neg-,sternum, lungs, 1 spot on 6th rib

Jan 12, 2012 03:50PM rosemary-b wrote:

Epsom salt soaks were recommended to me by a doctor for sore muscles long before I was diagnosed with breast cancer.

Dx 2/25/2007, IDC, Stage I, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jan 12, 2012 03:52PM calamtykel wrote:

Epsom Salts are a wonderful detox!  My holistic doctor recommends four pounds of epsom salts for radiation detox after scans and such.  I couoldn't live with my epsom salts!  They are just magnesium, and our muscles really need that!

"But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?” Matt. 14:28

Dx 6/12/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 2/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 12, 2012 11:39PM Caya wrote:

I also take a couple of Epsom salt baths/week.  I have fibromyalgia, and along with the joint aches from Femara, the Epsom salt baths are very soothing.

Dx 10/16/2006, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jan 13, 2012 01:09PM thenewme wrote:

I love epsom salt soaks too, for so many reasons! 

Dx 11/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jan 14, 2012 09:32AM MariannaLaFrance wrote:

Naturegirl, my onc didn't make many recommendations to me regarding healthful living. Though she is kind, and seems to know her stuff about cancer, she doesn't give me any other kinds of advice. My nutritionist, a PhD in cellular biology, degree in nutritional science and registered dietician, gave me the green light to use Epsom Salts.  

Since I take supplements for magnesium, any natural source of magnesium (in his estimation) is good as well. That includes Epsom Salts.  I even give Epsom Salt baths to my son (9 years old). He is very active, and tends to get uptight a lot. I give him an ES bath, and his teachers will actually make a comment about how much more "focused" he appears on the days after his baths. Needless to say, I give him a bath every week in Epsom Salts, and intend to do the same for my other kids as they get a little older. 

Dx 1/26/2010, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 16, 2012 04:14PM naturegirl2 wrote:

thanks for your input rosemary-b, cala m, caya, the newme, and marianna h.  I just didn't want go to jump in an epsom salts bath if it was unsafe.  I do know magnesium is good for people who are low in calcium and vit D.  I noticed everyone who responded has a common thread, infiltrating ductal cancer, hmmm, interesting.

DX July 1991 IDCI ER/PR-stage 1(1.1 cm) DX Jan.2007 IDC Her-2/neg ER+Stage 1 Mastectomy left breast DX-Nov.2012 Stage IV-Mets ER+PR+ Neg-,sternum, lungs, 1 spot on 6th rib

Feb 22, 2012 10:09PM massagebyjulia wrote:

Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate, excellent for general muscle function. You can also take magnesium supplements. FYI the supplements have helped my migraines disappear 75%! Yay!

massagebyjulia

Feb 22, 2012 10:22PM Blessings2011 wrote:

Oh, this is very interesting! I have fibromyalgia, too, and I never thought of Epsom salts.

It doesn't irritate your skin in any way? (Mine is very sensitive...)

How much do you put in the bathtub?

Dx 9/15/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 12/05/2011 Mastectomy (Both); Lymph Node Removal (Left); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both)Surgery 08/22/2012 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)Hormonal Therapy 09/05/2012 ArimidexHormonal Therapy 10/22/2013 Femara

Jul 12, 2012 04:56PM naturegirl2 wrote:

I think I'm going to try Epsom Salts for my costochrondritis starting tomorrow!  Who knows, could be the miracle drug for me in dealing with the pain from costo.