We are 144,992 members in 73 forums discussing 114,808 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment → Topic: Aspirin and Such

Topic: Aspirin and Such

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Jan 21, 2012 01:23PM

Layla2525 wrote:

Has anyone seen the research news on BCO regarding aspirin? Does any already take it for the heart?  Has anyone asked their dr about taking it for cancer? This months Life Extension magazine has an article saying that there is new research it may help prevent inherited bc. Has any tried acupuncture? Some insurances pay for it these days. I am too scared of needles..does it hurt?

Posts 1 - 11 (11 total)

Jan 21, 2012 01:43PM kira1234 wrote:

My Onc. suggested it the first time I went to him. I have never tried acupuncture I hate needles, and saw way too many of them during active treatment.

Dx 6/1/2010, ILC, <1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 07/10/2010 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Radiation Therapy 08/03/2010 InternalHormonal Therapy 10/05/2010 Aromasin

Jan 21, 2012 02:43PM, edited Aug 10, 2012 07:14PM by SunflowersMA

This Post was deleted by SunflowersMA.

Jan 22, 2012 04:39PM Thatgirl wrote:

Yes. I am on aspirin. It's an anti inflammatory and some Docs and research studies show it may help to prevent reoccurances. Talk to your Dr. about it. Take the article you read to your appointment.

Jan 22, 2012 09:06PM crabbiepattie wrote:

My onc recommended I take aspirin and cited some studies.  I take it.  It would be nice if it helped my heart too Smile

I started seeing an acupuncturist for energy during chemo and I still go but less frequently.  The needles are very fine - usually you don't feel them at all. It isn't covered by my health insurance.

Dx 6/8/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 1/11 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jan 23, 2012 08:35AM Mallory107 wrote:

I just read where Dr Oz suggests a half glass of warm water before and after taking the aspirin.  anyone know why?

Jan 23, 2012 10:09AM apple wrote:

so it won't eat up your upper digestive track... i think a low dose is recommended for maintenance.. .25% of 325 mg

peace and love, apple - ..... Mary Magdalen

Dx 4/10/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/9 nodes, mets, ER+, HER2+

Jan 23, 2012 10:19AM mks16 wrote:

I take 81 mg Aspirin as well. My onc was ok with it, wasn't convinced regarding link between BC prevention and Aspirin but said it will protect me from colon cancer. I also take it for my heart. Interesting info from apple and Dr Oz... I take my Aspirin after morning coffee, wonder if that counts as a warm drink.

Haven't tried accupunture so no input there.

Dx 12/10/2010, IDC, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 1/19 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 25, 2012 03:41AM Heidihill wrote:

I'm supposed to take 100 mg 4-5 times a week 15 minutes before a meal as prescribed by my onc. He says it helps against colon cancer more. I'm slowly building up to that frequency. I asked him for it when I read that it helps against metastasis. The theory is that circulating tumor cells send signals to our platelets to help them stick. There are trials combining aspirin with other anti platelet clotting drugs. So the question I guess is dosage. For me, every little bit counts.

Dx 8/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, 2/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 25, 2012 05:39AM kayb wrote:

I'm taking 81 mg aspirin every other day per Onc.. I also know he has all his triple neg. patients take it since they have no other maintenance drugs.

Acupuncture needles are a hair's breadth wide. They really aren't comparable to needles used for anything else. You hardly feel anything. My insurance used to cover it but I was just thinking I'd better check to see if they changed it this year. My maximum out of pocket for the year went up $700 so I wouldn't be surprised if they cut some coverage, too!

DX May/2010, synchronous bilateral cancer, triple positive

Feb 29, 2012 10:25PM Layla2525 wrote:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/758452?src=emailthis  This is a link to the aspirin research to reduce and affect cancer. I'll post it also on the Aspirin thread. Other cancer research articles available on their website for those interested.

bmx w/TE on 2/13/12,exchange to Mentor high profile 600cc gel implants on 08/30/12,07/01/2013,new Natrelle 45 gel,replaced Mentors due to capsule.

Dx 12/19/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 3, 2012 08:45PM Kaara wrote:

I was thinking of taking asprin but then in doing research for my advancing macular degeneration, it said that asprin should not be taken, or any blood thinners for that matter, because it could cause a retinal bleed.

It was a heads up to me that I need to cross check all meds and supplements with other health issues that I have to make sure there are no serious issues. 

Kaara

Dx 11/14/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-