We are 144,984 members in 73 forums discussing 114,798 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment → Topic: Very interesting interview with nurse who went holistic route~

Topic: Very interesting interview with nurse who went holistic route~

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Apr 22, 2013 02:24PM

jojo68 wrote:

http://www.chrisbeatcancer.com/nurse-refuses-treatment-for-breast-cancer-goes-to-mexico/

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Apr 22, 2013 03:14PM riverhorse wrote:

Interesting article, but very difficult to draw any conclusions about the Mexican clinic without more information regarding the nature of Chris's cancer.   Was it a tumor that was small and so once removed was unlikely to recur or spread regardless of additional treatments?  What was the grade of the tumor?  She doesn't mention any proposed treatment plan, just seems to assume that the plan would include chemo, radiation etc.  She should have met with a breast surgeon before a plastic surgeon -- unless procedures are totally different at the Mayo Clinic.  A breast surgeon would have discussed the possibilites - lumpectomy vs mastectomy or why one was better than the other in her case.  

It would be very hard to make any sort of informed decision regarding the value of the holistic approach based on the information in that article.

Dx 11/22/2011, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Apr 22, 2013 03:34PM jojo68 wrote:

Oh, I know...just thought it was an interesting article...

Completed DIEP recon... ILC Stage 2B/3A Grade 2/ER+/PR+/HER- 7/29 nodes/3cm tumor...Anti-chemo and rads girl!..."You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose."~The good Dr. Seuss

Apr 22, 2013 11:46PM HLB wrote:

That was interesting and I appreciate that she gave so many details! The beast dad in the world just bought me a rife machine!! Ordered today. Can't wait to start using it!

Dx 10/2004, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 2/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 7/23/2012, IDC, Stage IVSurgery 10/30/2004 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Surgery 11/30/2004 Mastectomy (Both); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both)Chemotherapy 01/02/2005 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolSurgery 09/15/2005 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)Hormonal Therapy 07/23/2012 Femara

May 6, 2013 02:56AM smillsbc wrote:

joellelee, thank you so much for posting this! Although very new to this site and still playing the waiting game as to a diagnosis, this link you shared is wonderful and very reasonable given the standard treatments recommended for breast cancer. I think the clinic in Mexico is where I would choose to go if it turns out that I have BC.

May 6, 2013 03:15PM jojo68 wrote:

Hi there Smillsbc!

I also highly recommend joining the following Yahoo groups...Breastcancerthinktank, iodine, and cancercured!  MANY survivors on those groups using alternatives!!!  And, everyone is so accomodating and don't attack your for your opinions!

Completed DIEP recon... ILC Stage 2B/3A Grade 2/ER+/PR+/HER- 7/29 nodes/3cm tumor...Anti-chemo and rads girl!..."You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose."~The good Dr. Seuss