We are 144,812 members in 73 forums discussing 114,653 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: do bone mets ever go away??

Topic: do bone mets ever go away??

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only or those posting on behalf of a Stage IV patient. There is a separate forum for Stage IV Caregivers/Family in "Support and Community Connections".

Posted on: Jul 15, 2007 08:34AM

AliceJean wrote:

Hi all,
I have distant bone mets from my first cancer in 2001. Have been on Xeloda, Avastin, and Zometa, soon done with the Xeloda but going to start Faslodex. Scans show improvement in the bone mets, but the onc says they may never go away completely. From reading other posts it seems that others have been told they are NED even with bone mets. Does it depend on the type of lesions, lytic vs. blastic, or what? Thanks in advance for your insight... Log in to post a reply

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Jul 15, 2007 10:29AM LuAnnH wrote:

In my opinion, they cannot say 100% there are no more bone mets. The mets destroys the bone and the destruction will continue to show on scans. At some point it is difficult to tell if there are any active cancer cells in the destroyed bone. I think the Zometa can help stregthen the bone. That is my 2 cents.

LuAnn

LuAnn --

Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 15, 2007 12:09PM suecolo2 wrote:

I had a breast cancer tumor removed April 2006. Then a PET scan showed 4 bone mets. I was put on Arimidex, and when I had a second PET scan after six months the scan showed no bone mets. The bone mets were growing from estrogen, and Arimidex shut down my estrogen production. I go for a 6-month PET scan next month and am scared to death to even go in fear they are back. I know everyone fears tests, but with everything I have read I don't know if they go away for good or what. I personally have not even wanted to ask my oncologist. From this chat room, I have learned everyone is different as to how they react to treatments.

Dx 4/15/2006, Stage IV, mets, ER+Hormonal Therapy 05/15/2006 ArimidexHormonal Therapy 08/20/2008 TamoxifenHormonal Therapy 10/20/2010 FaslodexTargeted Therapy 02/14/2013 AfinitorRadiation Therapy 01/15/2014 3-D conformal external beam radiationChemotherapy 02/17/2014 Xeloda

Jul 15, 2007 04:10PM kimmytoo wrote:

I was told that even if there aren't active cancer cells that the spots of bone destruction will still show on bone scans -- I've heard mixed reports from others, though... I dunno what's what....

Dx 8/25/2003, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 12/20 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-