We are 144,949 members in 73 forums discussing 114,775 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: Ixempra & Xeloda together?

Topic: Ixempra & Xeloda together?

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only or those posting on behalf of a Stage IV patient. There is a separate forum for Stage IV Caregivers/Family in "Support and Community Connections".

Posted on: Jan 12, 2008 09:09AM

KiminJax wrote:

Hi Everyone!  It has been awhile since I've been involved in these threads.  My name is Kim.  I live in Jacksonville and go to the Mayo clinic.  First dx in Sept 2004 Stage II, Grade 3, ER+/PR- Her2-.  My recurrance was in Sept 2006 with mets to both lungs.  Since Sept 2006 I have done Abraxane, then Abraxane w/Avastin, then Cisplatin w/Gemzar and Avastin.  These have each held things at bay about 4 months then my tumors grow again.  On Monday I will start Xeloda with Ixempra.  Have any of you done this combo?  Any tips and recommendations?  Thank you for being here! 

Posts 1 - 12 (12 total)

Jan 12, 2008 11:30AM Buzz wrote:

Hi Kim,

I haven't done the Ixempra but have been on Xeloda since June 06 and the only side effect I experienced was some cracking of the skin on my hands. Keeping them moisterized helped a lot. If you contact me through private message we can talk more if you want.

Jan 12, 2008 11:40PM FayeFighter wrote:

Hello Ladies,

My name is Rakesha and my mother was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer in November.  This is a lot to handle, especially since she had a right mastectomy in 1986, left mastectomy in 2002 and now this!  She will begin taking Xeloda next week and we do not know what to expect.  Glad to hear you do not have many side effects.  Do you have a loss of appetite?  My mother does not have an appetite right now because she just finished radiation.  Also, if you don't mind me asking, does Xeloda make you fatigue?  She is in the process of going on leave from work because we do not know what to expect and the radiation really did a number on her.  Appreciate any information you can give me.

Thanks

A very concerned daughter

Jan 13, 2008 12:24AM tooyoungtohavebc wrote:

Hi there

lots of more info on xeloda in the recurrence/mestatic threads if you do a search.

I have been on xeloda/tykerb since July. It is doable. I worked until this month and then decided to take some time off because I was getting tired. Side effects of xeloda can be managed with lowering the dosage if needed. i had mine lowered 3 times.

Side effects I have had:

-It does make me fatigued.

-Finger tips on my right hand are in bad shape.

-I also have had acne breakouts (just a recent development) that has to be due to xeloda because I have never had a problem like this in my life.

-major heartburn. I am prone to this anyway and xeloda just makes it worse. Eating less carbs seems to help this.

-loss of appetite at beginning but then it came back

Overall in comparison to other chemos I did, this is much easier and it does work cuz tumors have shrunk. Good luck to your mama.

Dx 2005, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jan 14, 2008 12:14AM LoriFL wrote:

yes, xeloda does make you tired. It is cumulative so plan your activities accordingly.

Jan 14, 2008 08:32AM ozzie2 wrote:

Found this and its from this site..google it thought!

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/chemotherapy/new_research/20071017b.jsp

DCIS and IDC 96. ER/PR + HER2- bone skin mets06 ,Lung mets May08

Jan 14, 2008 05:13PM KiminJax wrote:

Thank you all for the feedback.  I went in today for my first treatment but my white blood count (1) and my platelets (68) were too low and I could not get my chemo so now rescheduled for next week.  I pray this combo works for me.  So far, nothing else has.  Thanks you all.  Kim

Dx'ed in September 2004, mets to lungs in September 2006, mets to brain in September 2008. Mets to liver & Spine Nov 08. BRCA2+

Jan 14, 2008 10:21PM Shepgirl wrote:

KiminJax- regarding platelets take a look at the

Neumega (Oprelvekin) , I just posted.

THe drug has been approved to promote the production of the body's supply of platelets in cancer patients with solid tumors or lymphoma who are undergoing chemotherapy.

Good Luck.

Dx 12/23/2004, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 2/22 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 15, 2008 06:04PM KiminJax wrote:

Thanks for the heads up Shepgirl.  I'll check it out now.  They tell me there is nothing I can do to get my plates up and they tank a lot of the time.  It will be great to have something to help with that.  Thanks again.  Kim

Dx'ed in September 2004, mets to lungs in September 2006, mets to brain in September 2008. Mets to liver & Spine Nov 08. BRCA2+

Jan 15, 2008 06:33PM LuAnnH wrote:

Isn't red grape juice the one that helps platets also?  I can never remember for sure.

LuAnn --

Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jan 15, 2008 07:05PM bks wrote:

I will be starting Xeloda and have heard so many stories about diahrrea.  Anyone have any problems with this?

Jan 24, 2008 06:56AM KiminJax wrote:

Hi bks,  I finally got started on the Iexmpra and Xeloda this week.  I've done the Xeloda for three days now and have experienced the massive diahrrea you asked about.  I hate to be indelicate but holy cow!  I'll be running out for immodium or something today.  Kim

Jan 28, 2008 10:11AM GoldenEyes wrote:

I was on Xeloda and Tykerb since November...I didnt have  problem with diahrrea but I was very tired and I had the hand foot problems.. Severe cracking, bleeding. swelling on finger tips and on my feet. Onc. took me off the Xeloda this past week.. I see him again this week, to see if he will lower the dosage or switch to something else. Good Luck and KEEP FIGHTING, dont EVER GIVE UP!

Dx 9/20/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 1/1 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2+