We are 144,985 members in 73 forums discussing 114,798 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: Mets progression to Thyroid. Treatment & prognosis ???

Topic: Mets progression to Thyroid. Treatment & prognosis ???

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only or those posting on behalf of a Stage IV patient. There is a separate forum for Stage IV Caregivers/Family in "Support and Community Connections".

Posted on: Feb 13, 2008 02:47PM

Danie wrote:

Hello ladies,

Here is a quick background of my case.  I was diagnosed with bone mets on Jan.18th.  My original bc was June 2007, Mastectomy in July then Chemo which ended in December.  I am ER/PR+ and currently taking tamoxifen, clondorate and hydromorphone and tylenol 3 for pain management.  I have an appointment for consult with a radiation oncologist at the end of this month. 

I just went this morning for an ultrasound of my thyroid, which was a follow up from a CT scan.  The Doctor radiologist told me that there is abnormalities and it looks like it might be related to my breast cancer.  Has anyone have mets to their thyroid and if so what is the treatment and prognosis.

Thank you for your support,

Comfort hugs,

Danie

Posts 1 - 27 (27 total)

Feb 13, 2008 02:48PM, edited Feb 13, 2008 07:35PM by bco-admin

This Post has been removed by the Community.

Feb 13, 2008 02:50PM saluki wrote:

This is spam--Please report this and don't be fooled into clicking on the site!

Susie, member since Jan. 2003

Dx 12/12/2002, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 13, 2008 02:54PM Danie wrote:

Thx Susie for the spam alert.  I will make sure not to go on the above web site.

Danie

Dx 6/27/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 13, 2008 03:19PM katie11 wrote:

Hi Danie,

Sorry to hear you are dealing with progression.  I don't have mets to the thyroid so can't offer any good advice, but just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you.

Katie xx

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!

Dx 7/15/2006, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 13, 2008 03:23PM Danie wrote:

Thank you for your warm support Katie, it is appreciated.

Comfort hugs,

Danie

Feb 13, 2008 03:25PM LuAnnH wrote:

I have heard of mets and cancer to the thyroid and the cases I have heard of had very good outcomes.  Hopefully it will turn out to be B9 and you won't have to worry about it.

LuAnn --

Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Feb 13, 2008 05:52PM Jellydonut wrote:

Hi Danie,

Sorry you're having to deal with this.

My thyroid experience:  Last year I had a CT scan and the report read, "metastatic foci 2.2 cm on thyroid".  Needless to say, my doctor was alarmed and so was I!!!  Anywho, I had a biopsy (five needle sticks because the nice doc wanted to ensure he got enough tissue) and it was benign!  Wishing you have the same result.

What I've learned through this cancer experience is that most of us have "growths" in our bodies that are harmless, but because we have cancer and have scans, these things are detected and cause us needless worry.  A growth also showed on my liver and I thought I was as good as dead, but that's nothing either Smile.

Good luck to you and let us know the outcome.

Jelly

Dx 3/2002, IDC, Stage IV, 3/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 13, 2008 07:20PM Danie wrote:

Thank you for your positive support.  I'm sure hoping it is B9 aswell.  Having been diagnosed with bone mets is enough for one month.  I'm hoping that the spread to other organs will take a bit longer then this.

Comfort hugs,

Danie

Feb 13, 2008 08:41PM NYCarol wrote:

I had a thyroid scan on Monday because nodules showed up in my thyroid on a chest CT scan I had done in January.  I missed a call from my doctor today as I was out when she called, but in my experience, the fact that she called so fast does not bode well.  I suppose a biopsy is next.  The worry never ends does it? 

I hope both of our thyroids turn out to be benign!

Carol

Dx 2002, IDC, <1cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Feb 13, 2008 11:59PM Danie wrote:

Hi Carol,

My prayers are with you and hoping B9 for both of us.

Comfort hugs,

Danie

Feb 14, 2008 09:23AM Maya1 wrote:

Hi Danie,

I had a benign tumour removed from my thyroid about 10 years ago.  It is very difficult to do a biopsy on the thyroid as there are so many blood vessels in the area.  They tried 4 times to get a good sample from me but each contained too much blood to be useful. 

When I first found the lump on my neck my doc told me that the likelihood that it was cancer was slim, then if it was ca the chances it was malignant were slimmer still.  And even if it was malignant the prognosis was extremely good.  She said if you're going to have cancer then thyroid is the kind to get. 

I have not heard of anyone having bc spread to the thyroid but it's possible, I guess.  Most likely the lump is unrelated.

I wish you well with whatever treatment they decide.

Bernice

Pray to God but row for shore..... Russian proverb

Dx 6/30/2004, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 14, 2008 04:35PM TripleNeg wrote:

Hi Danie-

Praying for B9. Regardless of the results, God is able, Stephanie

"The girl who became emotionally distraught, and wavered at each new set of circumstances is now grown up, a woman who has learned to rely on God's sovereignty" Joni Eareckson Tada

Feb 14, 2008 09:06PM PuppyFive wrote:

Hi Danie,

I too am having a problem with my thyroid!

I had tests and a nodule was found, but doctors did nothing!

Not really concernedYell! way over a year ago!!!

So now I am waiting on them to read my CAT scan, so they can

figure out what to do! they will take the thyroid out, but I dont know yet about the DX! will let You know!

I will keep You in My thoughts and Prayer!

Puppy

One of these days "I'm gonna Love me" t.m.

Feb 16, 2008 09:08AM morgansmom wrote:

Hi Diane

Just wanted to add my two cents worth as someone else who has had thyroid and bc problems.  Actually my thryoid problems were found before the bc but what I learned is that an amazing number of women have thyroid nodules and much like breast lumps a vast majority of them are b9.  That still is not much comfort when it is your body that we are talking about.  I hope they can get a biopsy of that for you and set your mind at ease with good results. 

I do not know about bc mets to the thyroid but I did have thyroid cancer.  Actually, it was found two years before I was diagnosed with bc & mets.  My thyroid cancer was diagnosed by a needle biopsy and then removal of the thyroid.  It is one of the most treatable forms of cancer and nearly 100% curable with surgery and a radioactive iodine treatment.  I had just had a thyroid scan last winter and received a NED diagnosis six weeks before I found a lump in my breast that turned out to be bc that had mets to bones.  

I am sending you wishes for good results!  If you have any questions about thyroid stuff that I can answer feel free to post them or pm me.  I will be happy to share anything I have learned. 

Mindy 

Dx 4/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 16, 2008 09:23AM susan320 wrote:

A friend of mine had thyroid cancer from her bc. If I remember correctly, she did a special type of radiation treatments. They made her tired, otherwise she did quite well with her treatment and has been bc free for about four years. I have heard thyroid cancer is very treatable, with good prognosis. Still hoping for benign results for you!

Peace-susan 

susan "I'm strong enough to rise above most any troubled time. Today may be a mountain, but I was born to climb." and "Stop telling God how big your storm is. Instead, tell the storm how big God is!

Dx 7/13/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 6/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 16, 2008 09:31AM, edited Feb 16, 2008 09:32AM by susan320

This Post was deleted by susan320.

susan "I'm strong enough to rise above most any troubled time. Today may be a mountain, but I was born to climb." and "Stop telling God how big your storm is. Instead, tell the storm how big God is!

Dx 7/13/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 6/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 16, 2008 01:24PM Danie wrote:

Hello ladies,

I went to see my doctor yesterday for the ultrasound results and he mentioned that there were some nodules in the thyroid which were not of concern.  They also found a mass behind the thyroid which is of concern.  He said it is not part of the thyroid, but it looks like it is next to it or attached to it.  Thus, he is scheduling me for a biopsy.  Has anyone had a biopsy for this before and if so how was it.  I would just like to know what to expect.  I'm still hoping for B9.

Thanks for your good info and support.  It is much appreciated.

Comfort hugs,

Danielle

Feb 16, 2008 01:30PM Danie wrote:

Hello ladies,

Me again.  My doctor also mentioned that it might be a lymph node that is next to the thyroid.  Thus, meaning that it might be mets to lymph which is located behind the thyroid.  What would this mean?  I have bone mets, thus if it is in the lymph nodes, would this mean that it is mets to the soft tissue now.

Comfort hugs,

Danie

Feb 16, 2008 11:02PM sallyk wrote:

Hi Danie,

I have a large  3.7cm complex cyst on the thyroid. I was told with the size and how fast it grew there  was  concern. I had it biopsy and was told it was benign. My doctor said the thyroid on that side needs to come out. I do not want to go through more surgery so we will biopsy and us again in 6 months.

Sallyk

Dx 7/28/2005, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIb, Grade 2, 33/40 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 18, 2008 02:32PM Danie wrote:

Hi SallyK,

Thank you for your response.  This reassures me.  I sure hope my biopsy is B9. 

Thanks to all the comments.

Comfort hugs,

Danie

Mar 19, 2008 08:16AM Jellydonut wrote:

Danie,

How are you?

Dx 3/2002, IDC, Stage IV, 3/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 19, 2008 12:47PM FloridaLady wrote:

I was just searching this yesterday, for another lady on this site.  Do a Internet search of Thyroid Cancer and BC connection.  There is a lot of info out there.  I was looking for a article that I had seen that said daughter's who's mom's had bc are more liking to get thyroid cancer. I know two ladies this happen too.

You will see there is some connection to rads but they are not sure how strong. But in this information you will read a lot about your thyroid health could show you are at a higher risk for bc.

Living in Hope

Flalady

trip neg stageIV spread to IBC (2X) & 7 recur's, Treat Alt & Conv

Mar 19, 2008 07:50PM Danie wrote:

Hello ladies,

Once again, thank you so much for your concern and information.  I will have to look into web search. 

Sorry, I haven't been posting much.  I have been sleeping lots and having very bad bone pains.  I have been reading and following everything that is happening on the site.  I try to go on the site every couple of days.  We have been having a very hard time lately with everything going on with the sisters.  It makes me so sad and a feeling of no control over this disease.  I have been praying for everybody and hoping that things ease. 

I have been having lots of bone pain and also sleeping lots.  I'm doing not to bad, as best as I can.  I'm going for a PET scan for my thyroid in April and an MRI of my head for my lazy eye next week and having another bone scan at the beginning of April.  It feels like it is test after test and not much break.  I should know more about my thyroid and if there is progression at the end of April. 

My pain has been really bad for the last few weeks.  I changed oncologist two weeks ago and he gave me zoladex which has put me into instant menopause.  I read on the side effects and it says that the first month on zoladex makes your tumours and bone cancer flare, thus giving more pain.  I am on hydromorphone which is not really working, but that is what I have for now.  I'm waiting till mid April, then I will call my onc. if it doesn't get better.  I am currently taking a long lasting morphone of 6 mg every 12 hours and a quick release morphone that is 2 mg every 2hours and also take zopiclone for a good night sleep which is probably 4 good hours in a row(pretty good).  I also take clondronate for my bones.  I have been sleeping lots and always dozzy, which I hate.  Hopefully the pain subsides, so I can take less med's and be more alerte.

My prayers are with you all,

Comfort hugs,

Danie

Mar 19, 2008 08:37PM LuAnnH wrote:

Diane,  call your onc and ask for help with pain management.  You shouldn't be so drugged that you are sleeping all the time and you also shouldn't be in lots of pain.  There are lots of different types of pain meds to use and we all react differently to them.  You may have to try different meds to find the ones that work the best for you that gives you the best QOL.  So don't wait til April, make that call and get your pain meds fixed.

LuAnn --

Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Mar 20, 2008 12:27AM Danie wrote:

Thank you LuAnn.  I might just take your advise.  I just thought, having this pain was normal with the zoladex.     

Hope I can do something before next week.  We are leaving for holidays, next Wednesday to Mexico for a week.  I just can't wait.  I think it is going to be so relaxing.  I do need a break from all this.  My life has been a rollercoaster since last June, when I originally got diagnosed.  I'm sure we all have the same ride. 

Take good care,

Comfort hugs,

Danie

Mar 26, 2008 02:17PM kimf wrote:

Danie,

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I was dx'd stage III IDC in 12/04. During tx, a routine scan picked up a large goiter on my thyroid. I had it biopsied and was told negative. Due to its size, upon completion of chemo & herceptin, I had a thyroidectomy. As it turns out, the goiter was malignant, but was not mets, but a brand new thyroid cancer. It was dx'd papillary carcinoma, follicular variant. The treatment was having it removed, which I already did, and completing a single radioactive iodine treatment. At first it floored me to have another cancer, but I found out that the type of thyroid cancer that I had was really mild and curable. I hope that you find out that yours is similar and not more mets.

I'm sorry for all the pain you have been experiencing. Here's hoping that you adjust to the new meds quickly and the bone pain eases up.

GB,

Kim

Kimf

Dx 12/16/2004, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIIc, Grade 3, 15/23 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Mar 26, 2008 02:45PM Mazy1959 wrote:

Hey Danie,

I have bone mets that are in remission right now but I do still have pain. I have been on Oxycontin 20mg, twice daily and 2  Oxycodone/Tyl, 5/523, as needed for break thru pain every 6 hrs for more than a year now. It works really well for me but I do have to eat a sandwich or something with it. It doesn't make me near as tired as hydromorphone did and it doesnt make me sick. We had to switch my pain meds alot until we found something that was tolerable. Maybe your onc would consider trying different combinations too. They thought I had thyroid cancer too but it ended up being goiter and they just removed the left half so I dont have to take meds for it.  The biopsy was no big deal at all. I take Aromasin and that is what shrunk my tumor. I also take zometa iv once monthly. Bone tumors take longer to shrink and its a slow process but it can be controlled in many cases. Which bones are your mets in? Mine is on the 5th lumbar on the spine. Hugs, Mazy

Bone marrow mets in 90% of bone marrow.

Dx 3/6/2003, ILC, 3cm, Stage IIb, Grade 2, 2/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 12/19/2006, ILC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-Dx 4/25/2012, ILC, Stage IV, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 8/4/2012, ILC, Stage IV, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 08/09/2012 Abraxane