We are 144,967 members in 73 forums discussing 114,788 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: Tingling spot in back

Topic: Tingling spot in back

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only or those posting on behalf of a Stage IV patient. There is a separate forum for Stage IV Caregivers/Family in "Support and Community Connections".

Posted on: Dec 4, 2008 02:45PM

evieo wrote:

I am wondering if anyone experienced a tingly, sometimes numb, sometimes a litlle pain, in their back before dx with mets.  The spot is just to right of my spine, nothing can be seen like a mole, lump, etc. This sensation comes and goes.  I have reported it to my PCP but not the onc yet.

Posts 1 - 10 (10 total)

Dec 4, 2008 05:22PM SunshineSmiles wrote:

Of course, I'm no Dr., but I have also had this tingling sometimes since my mast.  I think it's nerve related.  I do have bone mets, but I never felt anything in that area to suggest it.  Your story doesn't sound like it.  Especially since it's to the right of your spine, not in it.  Follow your instincts, but I would bet money that you're fine.  

Hugs,

Susan 

"Never, never, never give up" - Sir Winston Churchill - - Age 43, orig dx 5/2005 Stage III;

Dx 11/22/2007, ILC, Stage IV, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 4, 2008 07:17PM evieo wrote:

Sunshine Smiles...first of all, I LOVE your name and the picture it paints in my mind.  Thank you for answering, I am going to continue pushing my PCP to look into it.  If it is nerve related, I still would at least like to know that.  Hugs back to you!

Evie

Dx 10/24/2006, IDC, Stage IIIb, Grade 3, 3/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 4, 2008 08:05PM Member_of_the_Club wrote:

You are describing the area where the muscle is attached to the bone.  For me, this is where all my stress pools.  By all means follow-up but try not to be too worried.

Dx 9/30/2004, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIb, Grade 2, 1/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 4, 2008 11:58PM LuAnnH wrote:

From a person who recently started having alot of back problems, if you need referrals get one for an orthopedic doctor.  If you don't need a referral find an orthopedic doctor to check it out.  I have major back problems and not one of them is related to my mets.

LuAnn --

Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Dec 5, 2008 02:14PM anitach wrote:

I have the same symptoms only mine is a spot to the left of my spine, kind of right under my shoulder blade. It started before I was dx with cancer and my Dr. thought it was probably just a pinched nerve. My cancer is on the right side but I still have that tingling sensation in a spot that I can almost pinpoint. I'm betting it is just a pinched nerve.... do you sit at a computer a lot? I have a desk job and I think that is where mine comes from.

Anita

Dx 5/1/2007, IDC, <1cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Dec 5, 2008 06:06PM kelly1215 wrote:

Yes, I did have that tingling sensation in my upper back prior to being diagnosed with mets. I still have it at times. Not sure if it has anything to do with cancer. I thought it might be residual stuff leftvoer from radiation.

The docs never seem to have answers for these kinds of symptoms since they can be caused by many different things.

Good luck & hugs to you!

Dx 5/23/2006, Stage IV, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Dec 5, 2008 09:27PM AusAla wrote:

I have had an off/on tingling and numbness below my shoulder blade for years.  It has had nothing to do with my mets or bc at all.  I have just dealt with it, however, there is no pain involved.  It seems to be worse when I was working and would sit at computer too long.  I've always felt like it was pinched nerve issue.

Good luck,

Bethie 

"I don't want to be in a battle, but waiting on the edge of one I can't escape is even worse! Pippin, Lord of the Ring: Return of the King

Dx 5/13/2002, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 3/17 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Dec 9, 2008 10:15AM evieo wrote:

Thanks for answering, everyone!!!  The PCP checked it again yesterday and feels it is connected to a neck problem that causes pain in my shoulder too.  I am going to keep on top of it.

Hugs and smiles,

Evie

Dx 10/24/2006, IDC, Stage IIIb, Grade 3, 3/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 9, 2008 10:52AM riverinerabbit wrote:

Hi Evie,

I was thinking the same. Neck radiates down to shoulder and into arm. I have the same.

Have you had an mri recently. Mine showed degeneration in the neck, possible mets.

Degeneration comes with age I guess. (although I don't think 50 is old). Thats. me. 

River

Dx 8/14/1999, DCIS, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 0/9 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 9, 2008 11:30AM Member_of_the_Club wrote:

I had to do some physical therapy a few years ago for runner's knees and the therapist told me that when they did a study of imaging backs they found that most people over the age of 35 have some degenerative changes in their spine, whether or not they had any symptoms.  He said that all of us get arthritis in our spine eventually, and that its usually there for quite some time before we realize it.

Dx 9/30/2004, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIb, Grade 2, 1/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-