We are 144,807 members in 73 forums discussing 114,651 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: Mets to the Bone

Topic: Mets to the Bone

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only or those posting on behalf of a Stage IV patient. There is a separate forum for Stage IV Caregivers/Family in "Support and Community Connections".

Posted on: Jan 7, 2009 03:05PM

Jlaw4545 wrote:

Does anyone know which test can pin-point cancer that has spread to the bone? Is Bone Scan the best?

Posts 1 - 11 (11 total)

Jan 7, 2009 03:39PM suecco wrote:

I think the bone scan give a fuller picture of whats going on, I'm not sure of any other tests, Im not a boney mets person but Ive had the scans

sorry couldnt be a better help

Sue

Dx 2002, Stage IV, 17/20 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 7, 2009 04:03PM KellyC wrote:

My first bone scan showed nothing........about a month later, tumor markers went up, he sent me for a CT scan.......bone mets for sure. Still don't know why that happened with the bone scan the first time. 

If life hands you a lemon, stuff your bra with it!

Jan 7, 2009 04:14PM Reneepals wrote:

Pet Scan/Ct & Bone Scan & density is what they did when staging me.

Renee

Jan 7, 2009 04:48PM saint wrote:

Full body bone scans are "gross" tests unless they scan a specific area for detail like a femur that has had symptoms. Bone scan is often the first test when bone mets are suspected, but I have heard of X-rays, CT, PET or MRI to dx bone mets......mine were found on bone scan, but mine were extensive. 

Life is not about waiting for the storms to end, but learning to dance in the rain! Orig dx Nov '00 stg1 gr3 0/27 pos nodes er/pr+ her2- mets dx apr '04 eyes & bones new dx jan '07 lung

Dx ILC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/27 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 7, 2009 04:55PM jeanne46 wrote:

Whole body bone scan - PET/CT - and to be more specific, MRI to specific area.

Dx 12/05, Stage IV, Grade 3 ER-/PR-Her2- YOU NEVER KNOW HOW STRONG YOU ARE UNTIL BEING STRONG IS THE ONLY OPTION YOU HAVE. -anonymous

Jan 7, 2009 07:24PM sdg605 wrote:

For me, tumor markers followed by bone scan followed by MRI.  PET/CT's now to check how the bone mets are responding to treatment (my onc is very methodolical).  Kelly, when the tumor markers went up for me, he didn't know if anything would show on a scan.  He said that markers (if they work for you) usually proceed symptoms by a few months and also things might be too small to register on a scan at that point.  I like that - no symptoms and too small to register on a scan.

Sandy

DX 6/2005, IIIa, 4/12 nodes, ER, PR (3+), HER2 (-) - Mets bone and liver 7/2008

Jan 8, 2009 05:58AM ozzie2 wrote:

Bone scan for me lit up like the lights on a   christmas tree and on looking at the scans u can see bone mets every where...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

hugs

oz

DCIS and IDC 96. ER/PR + HER2- bone skin mets06 ,Lung mets May08

Jan 8, 2009 09:44AM hezzy wrote:

My ONC runs a bone scan about every six months for my bone mets.  I agree the test can/will light you up.

Hugs Heather

heather j

Dx 7/2/2007, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, 16/17 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Jan 8, 2009 02:35PM LuAnnH wrote:

mine were seen with an xray because the tumor was so large on my sternum, then a CT was able to show how large the tumor was, then a full body bone scan was done to determine if there was any other mets throughout the bones.

LuAnn --

Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jan 8, 2009 09:28PM, edited Jan 8, 2009 09:30PM by vhqh

I "passed" a CT and Bone scan with no mets identified, PET picked up on a femur met that was confirmed with MRI.  MRI showed severe bone thinning that was later proven false by an xray.  Now, a year later, the femur met is healing and lights up brightly on the bone scan, latest PET did not pick up on it.

IDC, er+/pr +, her2 +++, stage IV

Jan 9, 2009 12:42AM curlieqs wrote:

Bone scan lied to me initially, then the second bone scan showed mets all over. I had then a CT and MRI to rule out spinal cord compression, but it showed mets too........

Bone and brain mets. It's not the amount of time served, it's what you do with it.

Dx 7/10/2008, IDC, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-