We are 144,987 members in 73 forums discussing 114,800 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: New brain lesions

Topic: New brain lesions

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only or those posting on behalf of a Stage IV patient. There is a separate forum for Stage IV Caregivers/Family in "Support and Community Connections".

Posted on: Mar 25, 2009 06:55PM

PineHouse wrote:

I was dx with 4 (smaller) brain lesions in December and was treated with Stereotactic Radiosurgery (similar to Gamma Knife).

Well, I just had my follow up MRI this week.  The 4 treated lesions were responding well.  But they also saw numerous NEW "specks", small but definitely mets.

This thing that I have is apparently aggressive.  It was only 2.5 months since last MRI and now these specks are already popping up.

My oncologist believed I would need a Whole Brain Radiation this time instead of Stereotactic/Gamma (and I agree with him).  He just called today so that I could get a jump on making an appointment with radiation oncologist.

I'm just seeing my horizon is closing up on me.  Given the fact that I still have serious lung mets and then now the brain mets gets to be more serious... I'm not sure I can survive multiple treatments.  We most likely need to postpone chemo while undergoing WBR, and my lung mets won't just stay put if we postpone chemo too long.

Can I just hit the "PAUSE" button.....

Posts 1 - 30 (30 total)

Mar 25, 2009 07:08PM mthomp2020 wrote:

Aw, crap, Pinehouse!  All I can say is, "F" this freakin' disease!   

I guess all you can do is take it one day at a time and hang in there.  Do what you gotta do.  You know we're all here for you.  Just get the WBR done and get back to treating those lung mets.  If you feel like ranting and raving here, go for it!  That's what we're here for. 

Hugs and vibes for you.

Marsha

Dx 5/21/2007, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Mar 25, 2009 07:13PM pattih wrote:

So sorry to hear. I agree - a pause buttonf or even 3 months would be a blessing.

Dx 12/15/2003, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 25, 2009 07:16PM Fitztwins wrote:

Alright.... I am just about ready to open the back door and SCREAM!! enough for you all!!! Shit. What gives??

Step back and take a deep breath. WBR can really help. I am sure it is only a few weeks. Then back to kicking the lung mets.

ARe you having a lot of side effects?'

I need to pray for 3 special ladies tonight. I will start an Novena for you all. Vicki, Susan and Pinehouse (name?).

Extra hugs, positive thoughts and anything else I can muster.

Plus I am drinking wine tonight (red-antioxidants).

Hang in,

Janis

Enjoy Every Sandwich.

Dx 12/12/2004, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+Surgery 01/19/2005 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left); Reconstruction: TRAM flap (Left)Chemotherapy 02/01/2005 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolRadiation Therapy 05/01/2005 ExternalTargeted Therapy 06/01/2005 HerceptinHormonal Therapy 01/01/2006 FemaraHormonal Therapy 06/02/2008 AromasinTargeted Therapy 07/01/2008 HerceptinTargeted Therapy 05/05/2010 TykerbHormonal Therapy 08/02/2012 TamoxifenHormonal Therapy 06/15/2013 Arimidex

Mar 25, 2009 07:17PM Watson wrote:

Pinehouse,

Huge hugs.  I hate this eff'ing disease!

It's like that arcade game Whack-A-Mole.  You just gotta keep beating on whatever pops up.  Try to stay strong but if you don't feel like it:  Cry, scream, cuss or whatever does the trick.

Watson

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. - Billy Joel

Dx 1/29/2008, Stage IV, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Mar 25, 2009 07:28PM Traci-----TripNeg wrote:

I'm so sorry.....It's just not fair. I hate this disease too.

(((((hugs))))) Traci

Trip Neg BRCA + If I never look behind me, my troubles will be few. Supertramp.

Dx 2/12/2007, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIb, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Mar 25, 2009 07:44PM VickiG wrote:

I can't believe this.... I can't believe you are going through even more of this.  I so freaking hate this disease.  Whack-a-mole is such the right description of how we have to fight this.  I feel completely deflated (not defeated!) with all this sucky news.  {{{{{Hugs}}}}} Vicki

Vicki

Dx 6/9/2007, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, 10/14 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Mar 25, 2009 07:51PM TripleNeg wrote:

Pine-

I went throught the same thing last year. I  went down on my knees, prayed and decided to do WBR and haven't had any more problems. God is able, stephanie

"The girl who became emotionally distraught, and wavered at each new set of circumstances is now grown up, a woman who has learned to rely on God's sovereignty" Joni Eareckson Tada

Mar 25, 2009 07:54PM Analemma wrote:

And that makes three in the space of a few hours.  Criminy!  I hope that's all for today!

Pinehouse, you got my email.  I am overwhelmed.

Brenda

Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see. --John W. Whitehead

Dx 12/10/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 5/12 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Mar 25, 2009 08:09PM CarynRose wrote:

Oh Pinehouse,

I am so sad to hear this.  Actually, devastated.  You have been my inspiration and role model since I became Stage IV.  You have taught me so much and I refuse to allow you to leave us.  I hope the WBR is quick and effective.  You know, while I was getting WBR I was also receiving Avastin and Zometa.  Maybe they can find a way to give you something while you are getting the radiation.

I'm speechless. I can't say anymore except that I'm am sending my love and ardent prayers to you.

Love,

Caryn

Dx 6/28/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Mar 25, 2009 08:23PM rkt wrote:

I will pray for you -

Becky

Becky, Stage IV, bone mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-, diagnosed June 2008, right mastectomy May 2009, 0/13 nodes, pleural effusion May 2011, mets to liver October 2011

Mar 25, 2009 08:34PM SunshineSmiles wrote:

Pinehouse,

Prayers for you in the coming days, weeks, as you kick cancer's ass again- and yes you can!!!!

Hugs,

]Susan 

"Never, never, never give up" - Sir Winston Churchill - - Age 43, orig dx 5/2005 Stage III;

Dx 11/22/2007, ILC, Stage IV, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 25, 2009 09:10PM PineHouse wrote:

Well, in the process of trying to get an urgent appointment with the rad onc, I decided to e-mail him directly after the office assistant told me "we'll call you back".  I was only hoping to "alert" him that I needed the appointment, but he apparently took it further and looked at my scan.  I got an e-mail back from him 30 minutes later saying that he thought I would qualify for another Stereotactic since it was "only" 5 lesions and all are small.

I am impressed with this rad onc at UCLA (dr. Michael Selch), but the whole thing is not making my disease any better.

Love you all ladies with support and uplifting words.  I'm still a bit disoriented, and it's not coming from the mets (I don't have symptoms from mets).  But I'm sure it's quite common when given this type of diagnoses.

Caryn, thanks for the tips.  I'll mention that to onc.  I'm the one learning a lot from you.  I always check Nancy's TNBC post, hoping to see your "update".  I'm sooo glad you're doing good and your tremors are moving out.

Steph, that's what I'm going to do too.  I'm just going to ask for enlightenment.  I'm sure by the end of next week we'll know whether WBR or SRS is the way to go.

In the meantime, I am going to practice Whack-A-Mole until my arms get sore.  Did they ever come out with a Whack-A-Mole Wii game?

Love you all,

Lani  (for Janis...sorry, didn't get into the habit yet, but I know it's not too late to start)

Numerous in-vivo studies have determined that chocolate-containing "treat"ment regimen SIGNIFICANTLY improved quality of life for breast cancer patients.

Dx 12/1996, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Mar 25, 2009 09:17PM CarynRose wrote:

I'm somewhat (nah, VERY) relieved to hear that they think they can do stereotactic.  It's much less invasive, quicker, and takes a lot less out of you.   I'll be praying that this will be the case.  Better to keep WBR in the quiver of options for later (or never) and let you continue to work on your lung mets.

I told you, I refuse to let you leave us anytime soon.

Love,

Caryn

Dx 6/28/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Mar 25, 2009 09:27PM Analemma wrote:

Lani, I just hopped back on the computer before shutting it down and saw that you/ve heard from the doc, and might do SRS again.  That's great news.  I'll tune in tomorrow for an update, and hope to know if you'll go Gamma knife again or cyberknife.

Brenda

Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see. --John W. Whitehead

Dx 12/10/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 5/12 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Mar 25, 2009 09:31PM heatherpalmerton wrote:

I'm so happy to hear you can still have stereotactic.  Sending warms hugs. Heather

HEATHER PALMERTON

Dx 1/18/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 25, 2009 10:38PM jeanne46 wrote:

Well this is the crappiest news.  I am almost speechless.  I hope you can do stereotactic because, other than the day of treatment, it seems much less intrusive than WBR.  However I'm sure between you, your rad onc and your med onc, you will come up with a good plan. 

As ever I send my deepest prayers, bear hugs and white healing light.  Cancer just sucks.  Wish we could all go on strike.

xxoo 

Dx 12/05, Stage IV, Grade 3 ER-/PR-Her2- YOU NEVER KNOW HOW STRONG YOU ARE UNTIL BEING STRONG IS THE ONLY OPTION YOU HAVE. -anonymous

Mar 26, 2009 01:02AM riverinerabbit wrote:

Dear Pinehouse, 

One things for certain, I am always so blown away by the courage shown by my sisters on this board shown in their darkest moments. You still have the strength to post and show support to others in need. I am afraid I would curl up in a little ball and never get up.

Pinehouse, I send you warm hugs, you are a very special lady.

River

Dx 8/14/1999, DCIS, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 0/9 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 26, 2009 06:22AM FloridaLady wrote:

My dear TN sister

I hate see another sister with this horrible news.  I agree we are having a really bad week. I hate to hear about Vicki and now you.  I get scans done today and get results next Thursday. I really getting nervous.

I'm praying for you both that treatment will be gentle and kick butt.  I need you guys so much.

Flalady

trip neg stageIV spread to IBC (2X) & 7 recur's, Treat Alt & Conv

Mar 26, 2009 06:33AM Reneepals wrote:

Pine,

It is very impressive that your Onc is so pro-active. I'm praying that the SRS does its job to kick butt. Gentle hugs...We are all here for you

Renee

Mar 26, 2009 07:22AM marshakb wrote:

Pine, I am praying you can do the SRS!  This sucks!  I am so sorry.

I'm not dead yet!

Dx ILC, Stage IV, 1/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 26, 2009 08:04AM luvtotravel wrote:

I don't know who always says this but "crap sandwich",  My prayers are with you and the other two ladies for strength and determination.

Luvtotravel Stage I 2004 Stage IV 2008 mets to bone and liver.

Mar 26, 2009 10:01AM LisaSDCA wrote:

I know I responded to this before turning in -  tha's what I get for writing a message after midnight!

You are fortunate in this rad.onc.,Dr.Selch - who has widened your horizon once again. His confidence that he can zap these new lesions without the trauma or delays of WBR is a godsend! You can whack this mole! And get it with a really BIG sledgehammer so it doesn't dream of returning!

Lisa

Stage IV mets to brain 11/2008 BRCA-1 positive

Dx 1/24/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Mar 26, 2009 02:42PM KellyC wrote:

I'm so sorry Pine, my prayers are with you.  Many hugs.

If life hands you a lemon, stuff your bra with it!

Mar 26, 2009 04:39PM mrs_X_Sunneedazee wrote:

Pine, I am so sorry for your bad news.  I too wish there was a pause button to stop all the cancer from growing.  I hope your treatments go well, and your cancer pauses while you are receiving radiation.  Keep us posted!

Every day is a gift...........www.amberchase.weebly.com

Dx 5/10/2007, IBC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 2, 3/5 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Mar 26, 2009 05:35PM LuAnnH wrote:

Pinehouse, I was away for two days and come back to you finding these brain mets.  I am glad to hear your rad onc is so good and thinks he can handle them with SRS!  That will hardly cause a blip in your tx.  I'm not sure what tx you are on but you should look into the drug temodar.  I know of ladies that successfully kept brain mets at bay with this drug.

LuAnn --

Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Mar 27, 2009 11:36PM PineHouse wrote:

Well,

Had the Rad Onc appt today. 

The good news is the 4 lesions treated in January were completely gone.  No trace.

The bad news is that I have 7 new lesions, which is one too many for the SRS eligibility cut off.  So definitely WBR.  Made a quick decision and got the simulation (the mask) today, will be starting treatment Wednesday or Thursday.  15x (3 weeks).

The thing that's quite worrisome is that I would probably need to skip chemo for a whole cycle.

But as DB said, nothing much I can do about it.  I just decided to trust the doctors, enjoy chemo break, and whatever it is I find at the end, I'll deal with it then.

LuAnn, I do intend to get on Temodar somehow.  Caryn also mention Zometa (with no bone mets).  We'll see what I can actually get.

Thanks thanks thanks for all.

Hugs hugs hugs

Numerous in-vivo studies have determined that chocolate-containing "treat"ment regimen SIGNIFICANTLY improved quality of life for breast cancer patients.

Dx 12/1996, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Mar 28, 2009 12:07AM LisaSDCA wrote:

Lani ~ I just don't know what to say.You will do what you have to do and do it well. You won't like it, but you'll get through it with determination and chocolate.Remember, I'm right down the road a piece if you need to call on me.

Hugs,

Lisa

Stage IV mets to brain 11/2008 BRCA-1 positive

Dx 1/24/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Mar 28, 2009 02:59AM riverinerabbit wrote:

Dear Pinehouse,

Glad the treatment programme's organized. You are pro active ," determined" is how Lisa describes you.  BIG hugs,.

River

Dx 8/14/1999, DCIS, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 0/9 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 28, 2009 08:22AM VickiG wrote:

Lani.... I know it's good news/bad news to you.... I am truly THRILLED for you that the original 4 are completely gone ~ that is the best news in the world!  I know WBR wasn't your first choice for tx, but it's still a GREAT choice to have, so we're all going to look at it from that perspective... we do what we need to do, don't we?  You will do great, I just know it... and I am definitely sending chocolate, just need your addy!!!!  In fact, think I might eat a box myself today!  One for Lani, one for Vicki, one for Lani, one more for Vicki, two for Lani, another one for Vicki... (Brenda, I brought back chocs from that Malley's place up in Cleveland ~ the one w/ the CHOC stickers?  Mmm, yummy!)  You hang in there!!!!!!!!!!  We love you!

Vicki

Dx 6/9/2007, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, 10/14 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Mar 28, 2009 12:34PM LuAnnH wrote:

Knowing me I would have tried to buck the system and get one of those buggars zapped then I would be within the range for SRS  :)  I am glad you are on top of things and moving quickly.  I am sure they time your starting of the rads to minimize the amount of chemo you missed.

LuAnn --

Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+