We are 144,871 members in 73 forums discussing 114,699 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: Mom w/ Stage IV, ILC, with bone and colon mets

Topic: Mom w/ Stage IV, ILC, with bone and colon mets

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only or those posting on behalf of a Stage IV patient. There is a separate forum for Stage IV Caregivers/Family in "Support and Community Connections".

Posted on: Dec 23, 2009 02:11AM

dejah wrote:

My mom was recently diagnosed with Stage IV, ILC.  She was diagnosed with IDC 10 years ago, which was treated with surgery and radiation.  Latest diagnosis came in June, 2009.  Recent bone scans have verified bone mets and a recent colon biopsy also verified colon mets (which the doctor tells us is a rare situation).  She's just starting a 2nd month of carboplatin, taxol, zometa.  Is anyone out there battling a similar diagnosis?  Would love to hear your story. 

Mom's biggest struggle on the "quality of life" front seems to be in controlling nutrition intake vs. dirrhea/consipation.  She can't seem to strike the right balance.  Dr. feels that the situation should get better with the chemo, but no such luck so far.  I'm thinking that perhaps a consult with a nutritionist and/or gastro-intestinal doctor might help answer some of our questions...We're going to talk with her onc about this at our next appointment.  I'm wondering whether perhaps some of you are going through a similar situation and could provide input on things that have been helpful to you.

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Dec 23, 2009 10:31AM konakat wrote:

I haven't had colon mets, mine is bone and liver.  I've been on taxol, carbo, and zometa.  It's a great combination.  Taxol is hard (I had terrible aches).  Since chemo affects even healthy cells of the intestinal tract and colon I can imagine your Mom is having a hard time.  If I were in your Mom's place I would really emphasize the tummy problems and get something prescribed to help with that from your oncologist.  I would not leave the appointment without a solution in hand.  I used to try to tough things out but no more -- QOL is very important!  I've also found that talking to my nurses helps -- they can bend the ear of the oncologist too if required.

If you do consult with a nutritionist and/or gastro doc it has to be someone experienced with oncology and in consultation with your oncologist -- they shouldn't treat your Mom without knowing what's going on cancer-wise.  It has to be a team effort.

Your Mom's on a great chemo combo -- I wish for her to get quick, good results.  And really emphasize to your Mom to push re. her stomach problems.  Sometimes when you feel like crap from the chemo it's just tiring to stick up for yourself.  If you can, go with your Mom to help out.  Good luck!

Elizabeth

xox

Elizabeth's Mantra: When in doubt, eat cake. When you haven't a clue, add ice cream. Elizabeth's Mets: Liver, bones, brain (yuck), and lungs (more yuck).

Dx 5/2007, ILC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 13/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Dec 26, 2009 01:58PM pitanga wrote:

Dejah,

I'm so sorry to hear of your mother´s struggle. I don´t remember reading anything on this forum about mets to the colon. A month or so ago someone posted that mets had been found in her bowels, but I think that was on the recently diagnosed forum. Since as you say it is rare for breast cancer to metastasize to the colon, maybe in order to get some perspectives from people who have experienced the symptoms you describe, you could try posting on a site for colon cancer.

There are not that many people posting lately because of Christmas, so perhaps someone will turn up in a few more days who could offer you more insights.

best wishes to you and your mom

Lisa 

Round 1-- 1999, age 39, Stage IIA. Round 2-- 2009, local recurrence and bone mets.

Dx 2/5/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Dec 26, 2009 05:41PM ICanDoThis wrote:

My husband had very similar problems when he was on cisplatin and taxol - he just got through with treatment for esophageal cancer.

He presented with severe GI symptoms  - if it didn't make him nauseated, it went right through him.

Turned out to be an intestinal  infection - that, after the first round of antibiotics, turned out to be c. diff.

Pay attention to this - the infection recurred after surgery, and everybody kept thinking it was refeeding issues - he ended up in the hospital with dehydration so severe that his kidneys and heart were put under a lot of strain.  But after 2 days of IV saline and a course of vancomycin, he is eating normally again.

If your onc doesn't have time, call your mom's PCP.

Sue - Proud to be Krista's Mom

Dx 12/28/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-