We are 144,850 members in 73 forums discussing 114,686 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: Spot on liver - what's next?

Topic: Spot on liver - what's next?

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only or those posting on behalf of a Stage IV patient. There is a separate forum for Stage IV Caregivers/Family in "Support and Community Connections".

Posted on: Aug 12, 2010 05:26PM

frankandfernsmom wrote:

I have been stage IV with extensive bone mets since March 2009. Was on Tamoxifen for only 9 months then switched to Aromasin for 7 months. At first my tumor markers went down drastically when I began the Aromasin but for the past three months they have begun to climb.  I went to MD Anderson on Tuesday and they found a small spot on my liver.  The spot was there on the scan in June but were concerned because it had doubled in size in just two months.  We are looking at a clinical trial that I am hoping to qualify for.  If I don't qualify I will need to begin chemo. 

I am wondering, what should I expect now?  Does a small spot on liver mean that the cancer has metastasized? They will be doing a biopsy next week to see if I qualify. I guess they will be able to tell me more then.  I think I'm just a little scared.  I would like for the progression to be a little slower. Who am I kidding...I want it to be A LOT slower!!!  Has anyone been in this same spot before?

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Aug 12, 2010 06:09PM jeanne46 wrote:

I think it depends on how small the tumor was to begin with in June. I had 2mm spot on my lung that grew to 4mm in three months.  It's now over 1 cm but not causing any problems. I also started a new chemo so it will be a good measurement for the efficacy of the chemo . I sincerely hope you will qualify for the trial - and give yourself more time without chemo  You will certainly be watched very carefully in the trial and I can't see that it would hurt.  But do discuss your concerns with the MD Anderson people

Dx 12/05, Stage IV, Grade 3 ER-/PR-Her2- YOU NEVER KNOW HOW STRONG YOU ARE UNTIL BEING STRONG IS THE ONLY OPTION YOU HAVE. -anonymous

Aug 12, 2010 06:24PM 17years wrote:

I've had a small spot on my liver for years and it just grew to 2.25 cm so I am doing a Liver Cryo  at Siteman Cancer Center in St. Louis next week.  It is apparantly not as invasive as most surgery and freezes the tumor and then puts a frozen ball around it. 

Dx 3/6/1993, 1cm, 3/21 nodes, mets, ER+, HER2+

Aug 12, 2010 06:44PM mari55 wrote:

A women I work with had a small liver spot that was BC mets and she pushed her onc to let her try cypberknife along with Femera  ( this was in April).   She has done really well, Her most recent scan was clean and her tumor markers are back to normal.  I haven't seen much about cyberknife for liver mets but based on her experience, I will certainly look at it if I should ever get liver involvement.

DCIS 1999, R mastectomy. Mets to spine, sternum,ribs,and femurs Jan. 2010 and new primary on left, DCIS, Dec. 2009. I am not afraid of dying, I am afraid of not living

Dx 1/11/2010, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 12, 2010 09:45PM pee wrote:

I hope that this can be taken care of fast and effectively so that your progression is very, very slow!  In fact NED would be even better.

Love and Blessings, Pee

Dx 12/24/2008, ILC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 6/6 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Aug 12, 2010 10:00PM apple wrote:

a good plan pee

and good luck frank and fern's mom (Fern is the name of my niece.. I just love it.  Come to think of it, I have a nephew named Frank)

peace and love, apple - ..... Mary Magdalen

Dx 4/10/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/9 nodes, mets, ER+, HER2+

Aug 13, 2010 08:38AM, edited Aug 13, 2010 08:45AM by Irina

In May 2007 I was Dx with stage IV with bone mets, in July 2010 I got liver mets. Now I'm on chemo Gemzar. I feel not good, I can't take care of my self. I don't know what's next...
<!--Session data--><!--Session data-->

Dx 2/2004, 4cm, Stage IV, 5/0 nodes, mets ER+PR+HER2-

Dx 2/2004, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, 5/0 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 13, 2010 10:42AM ElaineD wrote:

I'm sure there will have been some who have been in this position, and found that it's a benign lesion-and that's what we hope for you. Howevere, the rate of growth does make it suspicious sounding, so the sooner you get the biopsy results, the sooner you can get a treatment plan in place. There are any chemos to try which may help, so don't desapir.

Dx 11/4/2007, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Aug 13, 2010 10:49AM 3katz wrote:

I hope it is a B9 cyst, f&fs-mom. But as Elaine wrote, the growth is concerning. Everyone here has offered great advice. My first thought was that if it is progression would some type of ablation be an option. Good luck with the biopsy and let us know what happens.

Amy D - orig dx 2005, stage III / recur-mets Stage IV dx 2008, multiple bone lesions / er/pr+, her2neu+++ / Dx 5-2010 brain met