We are 144,849 members in 73 forums discussing 114,684 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: Liver, Bone and Lung mets?

Topic: Liver, Bone and Lung mets?

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only or those posting on behalf of a Stage IV patient. There is a separate forum for Stage IV Caregivers/Family in "Support and Community Connections".

Posted on: Nov 10, 2010 04:36PM

dee467 wrote:

I know you are all survivors and I'm very truly happy and proud of all of you and what you went through.  You are an amazing group.

I do have a question about a friend who was initially diagnosed in 2008 at age of 29 with tumor in left breast, had treatment and radiation.  Just about a month ago, mets were found on her liver and now the results of her MRI show that she also has bone mets and very possibly lung mets.

Could someone please respond if you know of others that had this same situation or a similar one, what treatment is available, what the prognosis would be and any advice you can give - it would be very much appreciated. 

Thank you so much.

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Nov 10, 2010 05:12PM konakat wrote:

Hi Dee,

I'm very sorry about your friend.  Obviously we all have at least one of these areas with mets since we're stage IV.  I have mets in my liver, bones, brain, and lungs -- the 4 most common areas to get mets from BC. 

Some of her treatment will depend on her estrogen receptor status and on her Her2 status -- there are various meds for women that have positive for one or both.  There are also many chemos available to try.  If one doesn't work you move to the next one on the list.  Sometimes bone mets are radiated.

Prognosis is a tricky one -- you just don't know.  It could be 1 day or 50 years.  Statistics say that there is a 20% chance of living 5 years.  I'm soon hitting year 4 and still going.

Your friend's oncologist will come up with a treatment plan for her and do regular bloodwork and scans to monitor her progress.  It can be a rough road at times but there are many women here leading full lives, even working fulltime.  Wishing your friend and you all the best,

Elizabeth

Elizabeth's Mantra: When in doubt, eat cake. When you haven't a clue, add ice cream. Elizabeth's Mets: Liver, bones, brain (yuck), and lungs (more yuck).

Dx 5/2007, ILC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 13/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Nov 11, 2010 04:07AM nancyh wrote:

Hi Dee,

I'm also really sorry to hear about your young friend.  I have been living with liver, lung, and bone mets for a little over a year now.  I started with Abraxane/Avastin, which knocked my cancer back quickly and effectively, now I'm on Femara and am holding steady.  As for prognosis, I think officially our prognosis (especially with liver mets) is pretty dismal, but as Elizabeth says, there are gals who live for years with good quality of life.  My onc tells me about one of her patients with a liver met who has been stable on Femara for 7 years and counting.  

I tell people that stage 4 is sort of a cat-and-mouse game.  You are put on a treatment as long as it keeps working, then if the cancer outsmarts the treatment, you try something else.  There are many, many treatments/chemos available.  

Good luck to your friend - and encourage her to come here for information and support.  The gals on these boards offer so much support and information. 

Best wishes to you and your friend.   

Stage 4 in 2009, mets to liver, lungs, bones, and brain.

Dx 8/12/2002, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIb, 3/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 4/2/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 9/1/2009, IDC, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 10/01/2002 Adriamycin, CytoxanChemotherapy 01/01/2003 TaxolHormonal Therapy 05/01/2003 TamoxifenRadiation Therapy 05/01/2003 ExternalSurgery 05/01/2007 Mastectomy (Both)Chemotherapy 06/01/2007 Cytoxan, fluorouracil, methotrexateSurgery 05/01/2008 Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement, Latissimus Dorsi flap (Both)Targeted Therapy 09/01/2009 AvastinChemotherapy 09/01/2009 AbraxaneHormonal Therapy 06/01/2010 FemaraChemotherapy 09/01/2011 XelodaHormonal Therapy 01/01/2012 FaslodexChemotherapy 06/01/2012 NavelbineChemotherapy 05/01/2013 GemzarHormonal Therapy 06/01/2013 AromasinTargeted Therapy 08/01/2013 AfinitorChemotherapy 10/28/2013 Halaven

Nov 11, 2010 10:59AM lovehersomuch wrote:

HI Dee - My sister was diagnosed at 32 and then again at 36 with lung and brain mets.  It is an overwhelming diagnosis but you came to the right place.  These ladies are so full of information.  It can be overwhelming to start the research process.  The statistics alone nearly made me vomit but no one knows how any one person will repsond to various treatments.  I get so much hope on this site but I also get very scared when I see how quickly things can turn bad.  Best of luck to your friend.  My advice is to research specific topics/issues, otherwise the informatin is overwhelming.  She is lucky to have someone on her side who cares to seek information. 

Marti, sister Diagnosed 2005 IDC Stage IIB ER+/PR-/HER-2/neu , 2010 stage IV with mets to lungs and brain,

Jul 25, 2013 01:16PM nfz15 wrote:

HI..my mother has recently been diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer and she has bone mets and lungs mets..but there are no liver or brain mets and she has no respiratory symptoms either.. im very scared for her..the doctors are still deciding the treatment..she has received radiotherapy for bone mets..