We are 144,949 members in 73 forums discussing 114,775 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: Faslodex

Topic: Faslodex

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only or those posting on behalf of a Stage IV patient. There is a separate forum for Stage IV Caregivers/Family in "Support and Community Connections".

Posted on: Aug 17, 2011 11:26AM

Trust wrote:

Do any of you ladies have any experience with Faslodex?  Mom had a 2nd opinion with another doctor then her own (Thanx JeninMi for recommending)...and even though she is ER/PR-..based on the biopsy that was taken from her bone..as they could not reach the liver...(She was ER+ before for 10 years and was on Tamoxifen)....long story short..this Dr. wanted to see if she was even 2-5% ER positive still and try Faslodex...Any help would be appreciate as we know nothing of the side effects this causes.  She is currently on Herception, Zometa, and had Taxol and Gemzar for about 8 months...Thank you so so much!  Love to you all!!!

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Aug 17, 2011 12:39PM Lynn1 wrote:

I took Faslodex for a few months.  It had very few se's.  It is a shot you get in your rear so pain from that for a day or so after that is to be expected.  However, there are some things you can do to help with that.  Ask them to warm up the shot before they give it to her.  Faslodex is very thick and they keep it cold, so warming it up made it go in easier.  Also ask them to do it slowly -- when they did it quickly, I would have nasty looking bruises from it.  And, be sure for her to stand on the opposite leg she is getting the injection -- if they are giving it to her right cheek, she should stand on her left foot.  Not sure why exactly, but this helped too.  Best of luck to your mom!!

~Lynn ER+, HER2- Bone mets: sternum, pelvis, spine, ribs....it's everywhere. Started Afinitor/Femara 10/15/12

Aug 17, 2011 01:02PM, edited Aug 17, 2011 01:02PM by caall1234

I am on Faslodex. I have not had side effects what so ever. They have changed it from one shots

two shots. I go once a month. The last few time I was not even sore from the shot. They

give it more in the hip area. And you do lift the leg that the side they give the shots. I get

both on one side. That way if it is sore then I only have one sore side. So far they have

seem to work for me.

Dx 11/6/2009, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3

Aug 17, 2011 01:58PM Tina2 wrote:

I've been on Faslodex for a month, which means thus far I have received four injections, one in each cheek/hip area every two weeks. The current protocol is every two weeks three times to start, then once a month. I echo Lynn's suggestions about making sure that the syringe is warmed and the shot is administered slowly. I had a lot of subsequent pain the last time I received the shots because those instructions were not followed; I will make sure they are the next time.  I have had no other side effects but a slight tinge of nausea, but not enough to keep me from eating! My best to your mom. She is lucky to have a daughter who does investigative work for her!

Stage IV, lung mets, ER+/PR+; treated with Faslodex since July, 2011

Dx Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+

Aug 17, 2011 02:29PM Helmie wrote:

Hi Trust, I'm on Faslodex since March of this year. Thus far no SEs to speak of, maybe a little tired the day after the injection, but that could be from the other shots I'm getting too (Xgeva and Zoladex). It is confusing to me that your mom is told she is now ER/PR neg, while she was Positive before. The only time I have heard this happening is when there is a 2nd Primary cancer. A friend of mine had BC 12 years ago, which was ER/PR-, than 10 years later she had a new Primary BC which was ER/PR+.

All the best for you and your mom.

Hugs, Helmie

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." (Forrest Gump) - thank God for chocolate and puppy dogs -

Dx 2/8/2010, Stage IV, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 17, 2011 04:09PM cookie97 wrote:

Hi I just started Faslodex 2 weeks ago and go back Friday for the 2nd loading dose. So far other than night sweats and a couple of hot flashes not too bad.

Hope this is of some help,

Edie

Dx 5/6/2010, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 17, 2011 07:57PM susan_02143 wrote:

Helmie,

Strangely enough, the hormone receptors can change. It happens all the time, and without a new primary. That is why so many women have their mets biopsied. Hope this helps,

*susan* 

... and its back. May 3, 2010 mets found. Three years hanging with NED on Faslodex.

Dx 6/8/2005, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 17, 2011 10:01PM vickib wrote:

I had no side effects with Faslodex, I had it a few years ago but only one shot in the bum, once a month. It is a little uncomfortable but warming does help quite a bit. I hope it works wonders for her!

Vicki B. Cincinnati, OH

Dx 3/3/2006, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 12/17 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Aug 17, 2011 10:42PM Helmie wrote:

thanks Susan, I did not know that. In my case the biopsied mets were all the same as the primary from 1998; ER/PR+ / Her2-.

Helmie

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." (Forrest Gump) - thank God for chocolate and puppy dogs -

Dx 2/8/2010, Stage IV, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 18, 2011 09:02PM Trust wrote:

Thank you so much for your responses...I truly appreciate each and every one of them. With love to all!