We are 145,000 members in 73 forums discussing 114,820 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: Still Stable! :)

Topic: Still Stable! :)

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only or those posting on behalf of a Stage IV patient. There is a separate forum for Stage IV Caregivers/Family in "Support and Community Connections".

Posted on: Sep 20, 2011 06:48PM

3littlegirls wrote:

Well as some of you know I went down to Mexico and had a bunch of alternative treatments done.  I was so hoping that I would have some great shrinkage but it turns out I am still in a tied game with the beast.  Doesn't matter how much I seem to up my game I can't get these buggers to shrink.  I am relieved to have them stable. I know there could of been worse news but their was that tiny bit of hope for some shrinkage.  

On a good note my Onc, (who never gives out any hopeful comments) said since I have been stable for this long on Tamoxifen, that I should have similar results with other hormonals, once I need to switch.  I figure that should keep me going long enough for those lab rats to find the cure.  I don't think I will be going back to Mexico for any follow ups but I am still glad I went.  It certainly gave me all my energy back.  Just a very expensive way of doing it.  And who knows maybe it has helped.  

Anyone been on Tamoxifen for a really long time?   Just curious how long it can work for Stage IV.  I know it's 5 years for lower stages.   

Posts 1 - 24 (24 total)

Sep 21, 2011 01:52AM Leah_S wrote:

Michelle, stable is great! If you're feeling more energy that's also wonderful.

How long have you been on the tamox? I've been stable on Femara for 16 months and I hope I continue this way for a very long time.

All the best.

Leah

Dx 11/3/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 6/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 21, 2011 02:32AM jan125 wrote:

I have been on femara for five!

Dx 5/20/2006, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Sep 21, 2011 04:26AM dianaleo wrote:

Hi 3girls

Stable is a very good thing!  You still have a lot of hormonal treatments to try after this, so I think you are doing exceptionally well.  I did the 5 years tamoxifen after intial dx, but have just gotten a little over a year on Als since MBC dx.  Onc did talk about going back to tamoxifen before moving on to chemo. 

Keep up the good work,

Hugs,

Diana

Mets to spine, hip, skull, femurs, ribs, sacrum

Dx 7/7/2009, ILC, 6cm+, Stage IV, 0/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 21, 2011 04:51AM Fitztwins wrote:

Good news. At least you tried it right?

Enjoy Every Sandwich.

Dx 12/12/2004, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+Surgery 01/19/2005 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left); Reconstruction: TRAM flap (Left)Chemotherapy 02/01/2005 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolRadiation Therapy 05/01/2005 ExternalTargeted Therapy 06/01/2005 HerceptinHormonal Therapy 01/01/2006 FemaraHormonal Therapy 06/02/2008 AromasinTargeted Therapy 07/01/2008 HerceptinTargeted Therapy 05/05/2010 TykerbHormonal Therapy 08/02/2012 TamoxifenHormonal Therapy 06/15/2013 Arimidex

Sep 21, 2011 05:49AM kathya0814 wrote:

Michelle,

I have been on Tamoxifen for 2 years now.  Still no change on scans- ONC says still stable.  Like you, I was hoping for some shrinkage also. But I guess i will take stable for now.

Kathy

Dx 3/2009, Stage IV, 1/18 nodes, mets

Sep 21, 2011 06:10AM RobinNY wrote:

I also got the "stable" thumbs up this week after almost 18 months on Femara.  Onc told me the same thing...we would stay with the hormonals and he would hope to see similiar results for me too.  I did Tamo for 5 years after chemo the first time around.  

Nice to see some good news again on the boards.

Hugs!

Robin 

If what doesn't kill you...makes you stronger ~ I should be able to bench press a Buick. Courtesy of "Fight like a Girl"

Dx 10/1999, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 2, 1/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 4/8/2010, ILC, Stage IV, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2-Hormonal Therapy 03/08/2010 FemaraHormonal Therapy 07/12/2012 FaslodexChemotherapy 10/01/2012 XelodaChemotherapy 02/18/2013 NavelbineChemotherapy 06/17/2013 TaxolChemotherapy 08/18/2013 Doxil

Sep 21, 2011 06:10AM ibcmets wrote:

Michelle,

I had aggressive ibc with bone mets in 6/09.  Chemo eliminated my 3.5 idc tumor & helped reduce inflammatory cancer.  I'm now on Femara & monthly zometa for the bones and have been stable for 18 months.   I also had BMX a year after being stable.

I'm glad you were able to try everything out there.   I'm not sure if it makes any difference but like you I want to do whatever I can to be stable.  I do drink alkaline water and eliminated hormones added in milk (I drink organic milk).   I also eliminated all diet additives and diet sodas.  I try to buy chicken & beef without hormones added.  I'm not 100% organic and sugar free; but do what I can.

Terri

6/2009: ibc,stage IV bone mets, ER/PR+, Her2-, 1/2011: BMX/Recon, Femara & Zometa;10/13 Aromasin/Afinitor

Sep 21, 2011 07:19AM Lynn1 wrote:

Congrats on STABLE!!  I did not do well on Tamoxifen, but I was on Femara (another AI) for 5 years!! 

~Lynn ER+, HER2- Bone mets: sternum, pelvis, spine, ribs....it's everywhere. Started Afinitor/Femara 10/15/12

Sep 21, 2011 10:05AM Anne45 wrote:

Congrats on the stable.  I wish you got shrinkage too.  Hugs and keep those lab rats working for the cure!

Dx 7/29/2009, IDC, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 21, 2011 10:21AM dreamwriter wrote:

Congrats on staying Stable   Guess you really like the Stable Boy!

Laugh until it really IS funny.

Dx 12/20/2005, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 18/18 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 21, 2011 06:40PM 3littlegirls wrote:

Thanks guys!  I really am grateful for stable!  Just feel like I keep uping my game and the enemy won't even take one little step backwards.  Grrrr I don't know if it is just the Tamoxifen working or the high dose VitC 2 x a week or the handful of supplements I take or the mistletoe I inject everyday or my diet.  It could all be a waste of time and money but I am not soooo not ready to gamble and try to figure it out. lol

On a high note I am off to climb another mountain this weekend and enjoy the fall colours.   

And dreamwriter I like the Stableboy but I pine for NED!  He is where my heart is with.  I think I have to come to grips with the fact that my cancer was caught soooo late in the game and had progressed so much that NED is maybe not an option. I will have to learn to live with stable.  Who knows stable might get me far enough along for the cure.  Just hate it being in my liver.  I don't really dare have a drink.  And I used to love binge drinking.  Perhaps that is why I am in this mess. Who knows?????  

Michelle

Dx 4/19/2010, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 5/18 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 21, 2011 06:42PM 3littlegirls wrote:

Leah I have been on Tamoxifen for a year now.  Guess it is my Tamoxaversary!  

Michelle

Sep 21, 2011 07:52PM Heidihill wrote:

Congrats on stable! Who knows, the stable boy might be the love of your life!

Dx 8/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, 2/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 22, 2011 03:04AM Bruburn wrote:

Hey!

Stable is awesome and if you have this type of response on all the hormonals you will be around a long time my friend!  NED and the Stable Boy are very similar...they can come and go as they please...it seems the stable boy likes you as much as we do...perhaps it was that wonderful trip to Mexico you brought him on!

liver, bone, brain mets.... Cancer is a ruthless enemy. But, God is able and I am worthy. I am up for the fight of/for my life.

Dx 8/13/2010, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 22, 2011 03:46AM reesie wrote:

Michelle I hope you and the stable boy have a LONG relationship - only to end with an affair with NED!

Marie - It's A Great Day To Be Alive. Dx 10/29/2010 ER+/PR+, HER2- Stage IV mets to bones, liver, lungs, skin, pleural effusions

Sep 22, 2011 04:14AM 3littlegirls wrote:

Well then I should book another vacation pronto, just incase Stable Boy is getting restless. lol Do you think that would work on my husband?  I can only try.  Thanks for all your wonderful comments.  You guys are all awesome!  

Michelle

Sep 22, 2011 08:28AM sweetangel wrote:

HI Michelle, congrats on stable boy, I am hoping you meet NED soon.  I started working last month and feeling good too.  I was also put on tamoxifen and hoping i will stay stable with it too! I just hate it that I started losing my hair again with tamoxifen.  I wonder if it does the same to you?

I feel like I'm fighting a battle when I didn't start a war...

Dx 2/21/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 22, 2011 09:32AM cookie97 wrote:

Glad you had a rejuvinating trip to Mexico and sooooo glad to hear you are stable!

Cogratulations!,Edie

Dx 5/6/2010, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 22, 2011 05:59PM radiant wrote:

Michelle -

I know - how we LONG to hear the words regression. GLAD that you are stable, and it's HUGE that you have energy on iscador. Iscador normally knocks a big punch. I think the vit c is helping.

Hugs,

Kim

Kim, Stage IV, triple +. First dx 2005, stage 3C, mets 2010

Oct 27, 2011 02:56PM Magie1 wrote:

Thanks for sharing details of your trip to Mexico. It is about what I thought. Did you go to Hope4Cancer or Oasis of Hope. Do they do follow up here in Canada after discharge? I am a cancer survivor, but my friend has devolped liver mets. Her friends are urging her to go to Mexico rather than take the next chemotherapy Taxatere. She was on CMF low dose for one year, but tumors did not shrink. In fact since she stopped taking the chemo they are growing. Anyway any more details would be appreciated. I wish there were a thread on this.

Dx 10/28/1994, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-

Oct 27, 2011 02:57PM, edited Oct 27, 2011 02:57PM by Magie1

This Post was deleted by Magie1.
Dx 10/28/1994, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-

Oct 27, 2011 03:11PM 3littlegirls wrote:

If you PM me your email I can send you all the info on what they did. It was the Angeles Hospital.  They do all sorts of things there and I believe it is a good hospital. Just not cheap. My main reason for going was to try the hyperthermia. They did Ozone as well as Vit C and supplements.  You can choose a more expensive packeage and have more things done. They do do follow ups for 3 years.  The one place I keep hearing amazing stories from is Dr Castillo's Clinic.  He uses laetriel (can't spell but the appricot seed). There are so many people who have gone to him from around here.  I think if I do go again I will try him.  

Michelle

Oct 27, 2011 03:50PM Iwillwinthisbattle wrote:

Cheers!! Stable is the same as even money! Nice!

Stage IV IDC 4/2011. (2 small mets to back, 2 small mets to liver) ER/PR+, HER-, BRCA-. 6 doses of A/C-done-8//2011. 2/20/12---NED!!!! What an amazing gift!!! Fighting hard to win this battle!!! Enough with awareness, it's time for a cure!!!!

Oct 27, 2011 03:53PM sincitydealer wrote:

Stable is great!  Now onward and upward!

Peggy