We are 144,790 members in 73 forums discussing 114,635 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: Pet scan vs. Bone scans????

Topic: Pet scan vs. Bone scans????

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only or those posting on behalf of a Stage IV patient. There is a separate forum for Stage IV Caregivers/Family in "Support and Community Connections".

Posted on: Sep 26, 2011 07:48PM

tammie wrote:

I was just dx'ed with bone mets througout my body on 9/9/11...I've never yet to hav a pet scan i requested one from my onc. to verify issues in liver or not? as ct scan says sm lesion..My onc. informed pet scans not necessary as bone scan will track progression and even if liver mets wont change my dxs, plus he says insurance wont want to cover pet scan???? Well i informed him would matter to me... so just wondering which is more accurat pet scan or bone scan?? ty and hugz

Posts 1 - 27 (27 total)

Sep 26, 2011 08:15PM, edited Sep 26, 2011 08:17PM by jloon

Pet scan is definitely more accurate but I'm sure that bone scan would be fine to monitor progression. I had a bone scan, liver CT and chest xray that all came back clear; a week later paid to have a PET/CT ($2800) done and it showed mets to liver and bones :(

jloon@shaw.ca

Dx 5/4/2010, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIc, Grade 3, 19/19 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Sep 26, 2011 08:20PM reesie wrote:

Tammie I think this is a big question around here. I've never had a pet only bone and ct. Others have other tests and not bone and/or ct. I think it's what you have had in the past that's important - theYy are able to do comparisons with past scans if they're the same type of scans.

That being said all my mets were clear with my ct/bone scans. Since they're not sure with te iver I don't see a pet request as unreasonable. But I tink if the spot is too small the pet won't see it? Someone else might be able to help wIth that.

Marie - It's A Great Day To Be Alive. Dx 10/29/2010 ER+/PR+, HER2- Stage IV mets to bones, liver, lungs, skin, pleural effusions

Sep 26, 2011 08:22PM, edited Sep 26, 2011 08:36PM by thats-life-

Hi tammie, I hear very different accounts here on the forum, and it seems PET's are capable of detecting things the other scans dont. (yet they can give false positives too). There is also a higher radiation intake with a PET (correct me if wrong anyone) ...in my bio i copied out the reports from the CT and bone scans. The person who wrote the report states that my 'extensive' bone mets do not show up much on the CT, and to refer to the bone scan...the bone scan report states that spinal mets dont show on bone scan. Only the spinal MRI showed up those mets.(!) I have been told if i want another MRI, i would need to come up with the money for it. I have bought up the option of a PET scan to my oncs...they were vague in their responses. When pushed, my regular onc admitted that PET's were not offered in the public health system here, and again if i wanted one i could push for it and pay for it. They will only do a PET when it is important to look further into a particular area that is of concern on another scan, so she said. So it seems to me, at least in Australia, that the basic standard approach is bone scans and CT scans, and 'wait' for any measurable lesions elsewhere to show on those scans, or else when we present with symptoms, investigate then.....i know it can be frustrating. I suppose we have to decide how aggressive we want to be re detecting things as early as possible, and how much we want to self advocate and self fund scans...thats how i see it anyway. My recent bone scan result was 'stable disease, no changes since feb'...i asked the onc if my extensive spinal mets only showed on MRI, how do we know they are stable too?...he said " well, we can order another MRI down the track and check that, yes"    hmmmm... MRI's  are costly, either to the health system, or us, and you may have to push for one, as i am going to do, but i may have to pay for it..  im not sure if your onc was correct to say that bone stability would be a good indicator of soft tissue organ stability??...im sure there are people here who have had progression to soft tissue organs with stable bone disease....?

It is the opportunity to build what one loves into something permanent that makes this very difficult game worthwhile. mets skull, rib, hip, spine.

Dx 8/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 26, 2011 08:42PM chainsawz wrote:

From the little I know there are two types of bone mets....lytic and blastic....one is seen best by PET and the other by CT

Lisa -mets to lungs & brain - clear lymph nodes.....the weakest step toward the top of the hill, toward sunrise, toward hope, is stronger than the fiercest storm.

Dx 7/21/2008, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Sep 26, 2011 08:42PM Suze35 wrote:

I think ressie has it right - consistency is key, in many cases.  My old MO used PET/CT scans mostly, and they worked for me.  I had just a CT in June that didn't show anything, but my PET in late September did.  Could be nothing was there - I have an aggressive cancer - but also could be the plain CT didn't catch it.  It will be interesting to see, as my new MO uses CT scans to monitor.

Like you, I disagree that knowing about the liver is unimportant.  While it will show up down the road more obviously if treatments stop working, I would MUCH rather be prepared for that than having it sprung on me.

I wish you luck getting the scans you want.

Original dx Stage IIIa TN 9/2010

Dx 9/19/2011, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 8/12 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Sep 26, 2011 09:19PM tammie wrote:

Ty ladies i think i may just see if i can pay for pet scan myseolf then..The radiologist originally brought up pet scan to c what was in liver n detect (metaphysical) behavior in bones? as they have just diagnosed there really isnt a baseline of any scans other than scans from 02 which show nothing  so i would like to be followed by the most accurate..Not to mention im still finding it hard to swallow that there are soo many mets to my bones, and was curious if pet shows how active they are?? Thans ladies think im gonna yell and get one as im in this whole wantin to know all phase..Figuring knowledge is power at this point and i want to get ontop of somthing thats clearly run pampant through my body so will see..Big hugz and thanks for listening to my rambling..Tammie

Everytime the wheel turns round bound to cover just a little more ground!!

Dx 10/8/2002, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+Dx 9/7/2011, Stage IV, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+Surgery 10/29/2002 Lumpectomy (Right)Chemotherapy 12/17/2002 TaxolRadiation Therapy 05/08/2003 ExternalRadiation Therapy 09/12/2011 ExternalChemotherapy 11/22/2011 Adriamycin, Cytoxan

Sep 26, 2011 09:31PM, edited Sep 26, 2011 09:43PM by Alpal

Tammie, the PET will show how active the bone lesions are. And, future PETs will compare activity level to past PETs. If  my onc requests a PET sooner than 3 months from the last one, the insurance company refuses to pay unless I have a CT first that indicates need for a PET. Other than that, they've never refused to pay - YET. That's subject to change! I think I've heard that PETs don't show anything less than 2 MM. I'll look that up and edit if I'm wrong. PET should also show the liver lesion. If it's not cancer, then it shouldn't light up. As someone said, the knock on PETs is false positives. I haven't had a problem with that, but I know some have.

So sorry you're having to deal with this.

ETA - googled and came up with something that said PETs weren't good at picking up anything less than 6mm.

Allison

Dx 7/2008, IDC, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 26, 2011 09:54PM thats-life- wrote:

yes tammie, as the other's said, the other benefit of PET's, from what i can gather, is that they seem to show if lesions have healing  activity...which would be Bl**dy great to know!...instead of my situation, where the best they can say is 'stable', no progression...we could have healing lesions but dont know it...i have had 2 times in this last year where there was quite consistent pain in mets areas, and i was convinced it was progression, but scans read as no progression, i always wonder now if the activity was a positive thing..i.e.healing..,  its much better to know than to wonder, more sleep at night in my opinion! :)

It is the opportunity to build what one loves into something permanent that makes this very difficult game worthwhile. mets skull, rib, hip, spine.

Sep 26, 2011 10:06PM ibcmets wrote:

I have Pet scans done every 6 months.  My onc orignially ordered MRI, bone scans, & Pet scan to diagnose.  Now, I just get Pet scans done unless I have a lot of bone pain. I believe the Pet scan will show anything above 2mm.  My scans indicate healed bone lesions at this point.

Terri

6/2009: ibc,stage IV bone mets, ER/PR+, Her2-, 1/2011: BMX/Recon, Femara & Zometa;10/13 Aromasin/Afinitor

Sep 26, 2011 10:32PM, edited Sep 26, 2011 10:34PM by camul

I too have extensive bone mets, most every bone is involved, and got a false negative on a pet, which I disagreed with because the pain was increasing.  MO sent me to RO who did an MRI on the spine followed by a bone scan which showed that the  cancer was active with new tumors up and down my spine.  She also said that bone scans and mri's are more accurate than pet scans on the bones, but I still have the pet scans to monitor activity in my other organs.  At first my mo was very happy with the results, figured that Abraxane was working, but after seeing the MRI and Bone Scan, my chemo changed to Erubulin.  So the accuracy of the scans is so important in the treatment of this disease. 

Like your doctor, my mo says that whatever is going on with the liver will not make a difference with treatment...   so I will go with that as I do not want a liver biopsy.  

Sep 26, 2011 10:33PM, edited Sep 26, 2011 10:35PM by clemson93

Chainsawz is correct. Lytic bone lesions show up better on PET scans and blastic and sclerotic show up on bone scans. I had several bone mets including a large c-spine met and my bone scan was "perfect" per the radiologist. The PET showed it all for me since my bone mets are lytic lesions. Now for the liver, I don't know. I have always heard that the PET is more sensitive but I'm not sure.

Susan

Diagnosis: 9/17/08, IDC, 6cm+, grade 3, stage 3, nodes, dx with bone mets 9/09, stage 4, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 26, 2011 10:57PM tammie wrote:

I'm definately not down for liver biopsy either lol..I do however want a closer look at what goin on...All said imma fight for a pet scan so i can see comparitively what activity it shows!!! I just feel like in 2002 when i had my 1st diagnosis i did just what they told me and went along like a mule..Post tx i had many issues with pain and my left leg...I swore it was bone aches the onc insisted nuerological pain and sent me to nuerologist well despite my gutt tellin me there was somthin wrong i convinced myself it was the nueropathy that the nuero dr said i had...I plugged on livin in pain working full time and raising my family for 8yrs. before discovering i now have mets from my skull to my darn toes..So ive decided i want all the answers now and im gettin 2nd opinion this time...Want every bit of info i can as im not expiring in one yr like this drs. telling me my youngest is only 15 n im faar from ready darn it!!Ty ladies for all your support most of my the ladies i use to talk to on these boards back in 2002 either have lost this battle or dont frequent the boards anymore much like myself till a few weeks back..Its so wonderful to know however that i always have a place to come we have the best sisterhood her HUGZZZ To u ladies n ty for bein here id be lost without u all..Tammie

Dx 10/8/2002, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+Dx 9/7/2011, Stage IV, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+Surgery 10/29/2002 Lumpectomy (Right)Chemotherapy 12/17/2002 TaxolRadiation Therapy 05/08/2003 ExternalRadiation Therapy 09/12/2011 ExternalChemotherapy 11/22/2011 Adriamycin, Cytoxan

Sep 26, 2011 11:11PM Helmie wrote:

Hi Tammie, PET scans are very expensive, that's why the ins-co might give you a hard time. Your onc should be able to justify to do the PET. As far as I know, a PET is more sensitive, and picks things up better than a bone scan, or a CT. My ins-co pays for a PET twice a year. My bone lesions were found with a PET, and not with a bone scan. Hope you can get it done, and your ins-co will pay for it. Good luck.

Hugs, Helmie 

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." (Forrest Gump) - thank God for chocolate and puppy dogs -

Dx 2/8/2010, Stage IV, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 26, 2011 11:34PM tammie wrote:

Thanks and im startin this fight and not backin down!!

Sep 27, 2011 12:05AM nancyh wrote:

I'm no expert, but I thought bone scans are best for picking up...well...bone mets while PET/CT (or just plain old CT) is best at picking up lesions in soft tissues such as liver, lungs and nodes.  The benefit of PET is that it picks up hypermetabolic activity, which gives the doctors a sense of how active the cancer is.  When then cancer is really active, it lights up like crazy on the PET.  The CT gives the best image of anatomy, meaning they can see the outlines of the tumors in context of normal organs in the body.

A note to the moderators - questions about imaging modalities come up all the time, I wonder if you could do an "Ask the expert" session or some other special section about the different types of scans and what is considered best practice?  I would love to know more about when different tests are used and why one scan is preferred over another given the patient's condition.  

Good question, Tammie.  Lots of good discussion.  Best of luck to you.  Hugs. 

Stage 4 in 2009, mets to liver, lungs, bones, and brain.

Dx 8/12/2002, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIb, 3/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 4/2/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 9/1/2009, IDC, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 10/01/2002 Adriamycin, CytoxanChemotherapy 01/01/2003 TaxolHormonal Therapy 05/01/2003 TamoxifenRadiation Therapy 05/01/2003 ExternalSurgery 05/01/2007 Mastectomy (Both)Chemotherapy 06/01/2007 Cytoxan, fluorouracil, methotrexateSurgery 05/01/2008 Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement, Latissimus Dorsi flap (Both)Targeted Therapy 09/01/2009 AvastinChemotherapy 09/01/2009 AbraxaneHormonal Therapy 06/01/2010 FemaraChemotherapy 09/01/2011 XelodaHormonal Therapy 01/01/2012 FaslodexChemotherapy 06/01/2012 NavelbineChemotherapy 05/01/2013 GemzarHormonal Therapy 06/01/2013 AromasinTargeted Therapy 08/01/2013 AfinitorChemotherapy 10/28/2013 Halaven

Sep 27, 2011 12:29AM Helmie wrote:

Nancy, good suggestion for the moderators. I would like an "Ask the experts" section too.

Hugs, Helmie

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." (Forrest Gump) - thank God for chocolate and puppy dogs -

Dx 2/8/2010, Stage IV, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 27, 2011 04:47AM pq2 wrote:

I have spine mets and have had since day one. Have had MRI and CTs, no PET. We've asked this question a bunhc of times, with local team and at UNC Chapel Hill. Not saying it's the definitive asnwer but: PET concentrates on sugar activity in tumors (their fuel). It can point the way to activity, but for actually seeing what it's doing and its size, the other tests do the trick. So Nancy H and I have the same impression -- PET is for cancer activity, the others are for status. REALLY like the idea of a page on imaging Nancy. Also helps with those on the periphery of our care who keep saying "why didn't you have such and such a test" (said in a tone that it would have made all the difference of course).

Dx 10/19/2010, ILC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 13/15 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Sep 27, 2011 06:18PM tammie wrote:

Yea it would be a great idea Nancy to do an ask the experts, it get confusing  to know what the best tests are for different things...If pet scans show only  how active the cancers are it would seem beneficial to us to hav done occasionally so we know whats goin on with those little gremlins feeding on us...I'm gonna fight for one regardless cause my radiologist still thinks it would b a good idea..ty n hugzzz..Tammie

p.s. Nancy couldnt help but notice your join date for this site..You must have known Sunshine, Pepper and some of the other ladies from that era on this site..I miss them i kept in touch with Pepper for years but lost touch a few years back..Hugs

Sep 27, 2011 10:55PM MJLToday wrote:

Have you had ANY whole body imaging to see if you have other mets?  You need some sort of scan to check your liver and/or lungs for mets.  If you can't get a PET or PET/CT combo scan, try for a CT scan.

And I strongly recommend a re-biopsy if possible for anyone who is several years out from their original dx.  HER2 and ER/PR status can change between original tumor & recurrence. 

MJ '98 Stage 2 ER+/PR-/Her-, AC+Tam: Sep 08 bone/liver mets. Arimidex,Faslodex,Zometa thru 12/09, Aromasin+Everolimus thru 03/10, Abraxane thru 3/11,Xeloda 8/11,Armed Activated T cell trial 9/11, Taxotere/Gemzar now

Sep 27, 2011 11:15PM tammie wrote:

I've had ct scan to spine and ct of abdomen,mri,and complete bone scan, ive never had a pet scan ever...And can they biopsy the bone as thats the only place it appears to be, i didnt know er/pr and her2 status could change..Ive had no ovaries since 2mo. post rads in 2003 and if er/pr has changed tamoxifen is of no use..Hmmm this gives me even more ?'s for the docs and my current one doesnt seem to wanna answer many...He also says if lesion in lver is mets dont change tx which confuses me..I'm only 41 and i dont recall saying i wasnt gonna fight this war but he seems to be not so much of a fighter so will see considering requesting a new dr. from the practice n tryin to get record together to go to roswell for 2nd opinion..TY Mj an big hugzz to you

Sep 27, 2011 11:23PM ppplocke wrote:

In my opinion you should fight like heck to get a PET! I've been told by all of my doctors that a PET is the "gold standard" for these issues. I had one right after I found my tumor so we could make sure no mets then I had a "routine" one over the summer. A PET will catch everything over 2mm. Good luck. Go get 'em!

BMX 9/21/2010 withTE at 39 -- Oncotype 8 -- BRCA Neg -- TAC 6 rounds -- 36 rads -- Total Hysterectomy -- Exchange Surgery -- Finished! -- Worry does not change tomorrow, it only ruins today!

Dx 9/1/2010, 1cm, Stage IIb, Grade 2, 5/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 27, 2011 11:28PM thats-life- wrote:

there's a bit of info on BC changing status recently in the trials and research forum...very interesting..

Sep 27, 2011 11:34PM nancyh wrote:

Tammie,

Oh my goodness, yes, I remember Sunshine and Pepper!! There were so many incredible gals back in the day.  One thing I really miss was how we used to LAUGH and have funny posts back when the boards were smaller.  We need more of that now in my opinion.  That's what made the boards great, that we could connect, share, vent, laugh and support each other.

I miss Sunshine, she was the heart of the boards back then, just like our beloved KonaKat was these past several years.  A lot has changed on the boards and we have lost so many dear sisters.  I know AnneW still posts from time to time.   I'm sure there are others out there.  

Thanks for noticing that I'm an "old timer" around the boards, Tammie.  I'm sorry you're dealing with a recurrence, but glad you are at home on the boards.  

Warmest hugs,

NancyH 

Stage 4 in 2009, mets to liver, lungs, bones, and brain.

Dx 8/12/2002, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIb, 3/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 4/2/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 9/1/2009, IDC, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 10/01/2002 Adriamycin, CytoxanChemotherapy 01/01/2003 TaxolHormonal Therapy 05/01/2003 TamoxifenRadiation Therapy 05/01/2003 ExternalSurgery 05/01/2007 Mastectomy (Both)Chemotherapy 06/01/2007 Cytoxan, fluorouracil, methotrexateSurgery 05/01/2008 Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement, Latissimus Dorsi flap (Both)Targeted Therapy 09/01/2009 AvastinChemotherapy 09/01/2009 AbraxaneHormonal Therapy 06/01/2010 FemaraChemotherapy 09/01/2011 XelodaHormonal Therapy 01/01/2012 FaslodexChemotherapy 06/01/2012 NavelbineChemotherapy 05/01/2013 GemzarHormonal Therapy 06/01/2013 AromasinTargeted Therapy 08/01/2013 AfinitorChemotherapy 10/28/2013 Halaven

Sep 28, 2011 09:31AM GrandHillMom wrote:

I have mostly blastic mets, which did not show up on a bone scan (some of you have the opposite result) or just looked like healed fractures.   I did not get a PET until my tumor markers went up, then the PET lit up like the proverbial Christmas tree.  Now I only get PET/CT's, no bone scans.  The PETs do show changes to the tumors better than bone scans, I believe. 

3//2006 Rt: IDC, DCS & IDC, ER+PR+HER2- IIIB, Lt: IDC IIA ER+PR-HER2-; ACT, bilateral radiation, Tamoxifen and megace. 3/2010, bone mets skull, spine, ribs, pelvis, femurs, Aromasin and Zometa. 5/2012 clear cell ovarian cancer, carbo/taxol

Sep 28, 2011 10:50AM clemson93 wrote:

GrandHillMom, I guess I spoke too soon about which type of bone mets show up better on PET versus bone scan. I suppose the important info is that bone scans aren't sensitive for all bone mets and be cautious of a negative bone scan alone.

Susan

Diagnosis: 9/17/08, IDC, 6cm+, grade 3, stage 3, nodes, dx with bone mets 9/09, stage 4, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 30, 2011 10:11AM Padiddle wrote:

I have interest in this too.  I am having my first PET scan next week.  In the 11 years since my diagnosis, I've had CT scans, bone scan, brain scans and MRI.  My onc was thinking outloud yesterday on whether to do PET scan or bone scan.  He decided PET.  It is what the surgeon suggested too.  Since 2009, I have had bone mets, small spots on lungs, liver, spine and most recently metastatic disease to left breast (not a second cancer), and skin mets.  Guess I'll see what PET shows.  Stopped FEMARA yesterday as it is no longer working.  Start Megace after the PET scan.  Continue Zometa.  We'll see.  Jean

Mets to sternum, ribs, thoracic and lumbar spine, femur, pelvis, lungs, skin, peritoneum, adrenal glands

Dx 8/2000, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIb, 10/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 10/5/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, 1/1 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 09/10/2000 Mastectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Right)Chemotherapy 11/17/2000 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxotereRadiation Therapy 06/20/2001 ExternalHormonal Therapy 03/01/2010 FemaraSurgery 11/30/2011 Mastectomy (Left)Chemotherapy 04/04/2012 TaxolChemotherapy 11/26/2012 GemzarChemotherapy 02/04/2013 AbraxaneChemotherapy 01/06/2014 Halaven

Sep 30, 2011 10:33AM IllinoisNancy wrote:

Hi,

I had my first dx of BC in 06 and I had only an MRI of the breasts done.  In 2010, when I had my second dx of recurrence in the same breast, they ordered MRI's, CT and a PET scan.  They never even asked my opinion....just ordered it.  Thankfully everything was clear except in my left breast where it was the first time.  I don't understand how the different surgeons and oncologists decide what tests to run.  They told me I won't have another PET scan unless I have symptoms which is fine with me.  I hated having all that nuclear junk injected into my veins.  Good luck with your journey that no one wants to take.

Nancy

OncotypeDX was 9, Pleomorphic ILC, Breast cancer twice, 10/06 and 10/10,