We are 144,899 members in 73 forums discussing 114,718 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: How often should you be tested CT Scans/Bone Scans/PET Scans?

Topic: How often should you be tested CT Scans/Bone Scans/PET Scans?

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only or those posting on behalf of a Stage IV patient. There is a separate forum for Stage IV Caregivers/Family in "Support and Community Connections".

Posted on: Mar 25, 2012 08:53PM, edited Mar 25, 2012 09:33PM by PinkSurvivor

PinkSurvivor wrote:

This Post was deleted by PinkSurvivor.

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Mar 25, 2012 09:03PM K-Lo wrote:

I dont know what they do for stage II.

Kathy

Dx 8/30/2010, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, 8/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 25, 2012 09:04PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

You've posted this in the stage IV forum, so I think most of us get scanned more often than stages I and II. Even then, I imagine we are all a bit different based on where we are in the course of our disease. You might want to ask this question in the stage II forum and, of course, ask your oncologist. I would agree with her about the radiation exposure. Every 6 months, in the absence of symptoms, sounds like overkill. As to how we found out we had mets, that varies by individual as well. Live your life with joy and gratitude each day and try not to worry about what you can't control.
Caryn

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur

Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 09/07/2011 Mastectomy (Both); Lymph Node Removal (Left); Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)Radiation Therapy 11/15/2011 ExternalHormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex

Mar 25, 2012 09:18PM Naniam wrote:

Tina, I was a Stage II gal and my oncologist was really good if "I had a complaint" of getting a regular xray or sometimes a CT scan.  Other than the normal follow up times and mammograms as guidelines indicate, I never was routinely scanned. 

I had 6 glorious years - I lived life.  I finished treatment and put cancer out of my mind.  I think you really could benefit with a cancer support group as looking over your shoulder all the time is not living.  All any of us can do is do the treatment recommended and live - don't let cancer rob you of the joy of living.  I think every Stage IV lady fights like hell for cancer not to steal our joy - we know the stats.  You are Stage II and it might never return so enjoy life, laugh often, travel, etc.  

Dx 8/18/2005, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 25, 2012 09:34PM PinkSurvivor wrote:

I am so sorry for posting this on here, I was just looking for answer's and I didn't mean to offend anyone or hurt anyone's feelings, I wasn't trying to be unsensitive at all.  Please forgive me. 

You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Tina

Dx 7/19/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Mar 25, 2012 09:37PM reesie wrote:

I agree with the above. I was dx with mets to start so I don't know what the standard is but even at Stage IV I haven't had scans that often (in the beginning we were able to track my tumor of origin's response to treatment). I'm sure that they'll be more often now that I had my BMX but I would expect that for Stage IV.

You need to talk to a professional to help deal with your fear and get some meds if needed so you can live your life. Remember MOST people don't recur. The odds are in your favor.

Marie - It's A Great Day To Be Alive. Dx 10/29/2010 ER+/PR+, HER2- Stage IV mets to bones, liver, lungs, skin, pleural effusions

Mar 25, 2012 10:10PM Naniam wrote:

Tina, I wasn't offended.  I think the other ladies and myself are saying you don't need the scans if you are not having symptoms, complaints   We have each told you to grab each day and make the most of it - don't let cancer rob you of one moment of living.  Yours may never return.  I think you need to be involved in a cancer support group to help you move forward. 

We have scans because that is how they measure the worth of our treatments and we have scans if we have new symptoms or complaints.  Our scans are sometimes,4 months, sometimes 6 months but for the above reasons. 

Dx 8/18/2005, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 27, 2012 05:53PM BouncingBetties wrote:

Tina, I don't think you have to apologize. I think my stage IV bosom buddies are right though. We have advanced stage cancer, so our scans and tests are likely more frequent than that of a stage II patient. Please be grateful that you caught your cancer early. You likely have a full, cancer-free life ahead of you, so please enjoy it. I know you are probably afraid but try to focus on how lucky you are.

CANCER SUCKS!!! I'm almost out of txt options, Metsisters. 😔

Dx 7/12/2011, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 08/05/2011 TaxolHormonal Therapy 01/19/2012 TamoxifenSurgery 01/03/2013 Lumpectomy (Right)Chemotherapy 01/25/2013 XelodaHormonal Therapy 07/25/2013 FemaraHormonal Therapy 11/05/2013 AromasinTargeted Therapy 11/09/2013 AfinitorChemotherapy 02/14/2014 Adriamycin