We are 144,784 members in 73 forums discussing 114,625 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: tingling in hand and arm

Topic: tingling in hand and arm

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only or those posting on behalf of a Stage IV patient. There is a separate forum for Stage IV Caregivers/Family in "Support and Community Connections".

Posted on: Jun 27, 2012 10:05AM

ejnova wrote:

a couple weeks ago i noticed a numbness and tingling in my right hand and arm. i let it go and decided monday to check in with the oncologist. he's concerned, since i have spinal mets, that might be causing the numbness. my shoulder is achey, so it could also be a cause. i have on and off tingling in other parts of my body, so i'm not sure what to think. i have a bone scan tomorrow and CT scans of chest, abdomen and neck on thursday. any insight from anyone?????

Page 1 of 2 (32 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (32 total)

Jun 27, 2012 11:07AM sincitydealer wrote:

ejnova, sounds like something pressing on a nerve.  My Mom had a numbness and tingling in her right arm and hand.  It turned out to be her port pressing on a nerve.  I hope it's something simple, and your scans turn out good.  

Peggy

Jun 27, 2012 11:22AM rkt wrote:

About 3 months in from initial diagnosis (stage iv with extensive bone mets), I started having numbness in the upper region of my back (thoracic vertebrae).  It came and went for the next few months, and finally oncologist ordered MRI - I had multiple herniated discs (T-3 through T-8) - they prescribed physical therapy, to strengthen the muscles and take some of the pressure off of my spine having to support itself.  That really helped, and I continue to do the exercises today (almost 3.5 years later) - haven't had any problems with numbness in back since.  With the arm/fingers, it might be vertebra higher up (cervical) - hope you find answers, I think MRI would be best to see this - CT, pet, bone scans didn't really tell them anything about the herniated discs in my case - MRI did.

Becky

Becky, Stage IV, bone mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-, diagnosed June 2008, right mastectomy May 2009, 0/13 nodes, pleural effusion May 2011, mets to liver October 2011

Jun 27, 2012 11:35AM Rohm wrote:

I have the numbness and tingling in my left arm (just the outside and it goes all the way to my hand).  My oncologist thought at first it was a pinched nerve, but after an MRI of my upper back it turns out to be tiny mets to my spinal cord.  I'm getting a five day course of radiation to try to slow the progression down and get things back undercontrol.  

I am hoping your symptoms are from something like a pinced nerve and not progression!!

fuck-this-cancer.blogspot.com

Dx 2/16/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jun 27, 2012 01:35PM ejnova wrote:

thanks for your posts. i have mets on most of my spine and i'm hoping if this is the cause there will be something they can do to slow it down.

Dx 1/1/2010, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+

Jun 29, 2012 01:15AM CAROL1MAINE wrote:

I've heard a few radiation treatments really help with pain and progression. Wishing you the best. I'm so glad you posted, Since last Friday I've expereinced similar symtoms and have been having forearm pain as soon as laying down almost before head hits the pillow. as well as after sitting for short periods of times. I woke in the night with electrical pain from my funny bone, remember how that felt when you had hit your funny bone? I called my ONC Monday, she thought it was an inflammed nerve and ordered Decadron 2 mg twice a day till I see her on July 3rd. After the first pill i noticed immediated relief, so since I also have extensive bone mets entire spine I asume an MRI and radiation are next. So does this mean there is a lesion  on the spinal cord causing edema or bonecancer pushing on spinal cord? I'm also on my first cycle of Xeloda so July 3rd is my 11th day so all ready had the appointment. Good luck and keep us posted

Dx 6/20/2010, ILC, Stage IV, mets, ER+, HER2-

Jun 29, 2012 01:48PM ejnova wrote:

i got scan results back on my neck and adomen/pelvis. nothing new there. but still haven't got back the chest scans (i have a tumor/lymph which was growing rampant and had radiation six months ago and it reduced it to half size). so i'm anxious to get the chest results. our hospital has an on line website where you can get results before the doc calls. so if nothing show up by morning i'll call. carol1maine mine is also like an electrical shock from just below my shoulder and extending down to my fingertips. i'll let you know what the diagnosis is as soon as all the tests are in. my tumor markers are up so i think there's something brewing.

Jun 29, 2012 02:17PM nancyh wrote:

ejnova,

Not sure what to make of the tingles, but wanted to say I'm thinking about you and hoping for an explanation that doesn't involve cancer.  Keep us posted.

Hugs,

NancyH 

Stage 4 in 2009, mets to liver, lungs, bones, and brain.

Dx 8/12/2002, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIb, 3/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 4/2/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 9/1/2009, IDC, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 10/01/2002 Adriamycin, CytoxanChemotherapy 01/01/2003 TaxolHormonal Therapy 05/01/2003 TamoxifenRadiation Therapy 05/01/2003 ExternalSurgery 05/01/2007 Mastectomy (Both)Chemotherapy 06/01/2007 Cytoxan, fluorouracil, methotrexateSurgery 05/01/2008 Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement, Latissimus Dorsi flap (Both)Targeted Therapy 09/01/2009 AvastinChemotherapy 09/01/2009 AbraxaneHormonal Therapy 06/01/2010 FemaraChemotherapy 09/01/2011 XelodaHormonal Therapy 01/01/2012 FaslodexChemotherapy 06/01/2012 NavelbineChemotherapy 05/01/2013 GemzarHormonal Therapy 06/01/2013 AromasinTargeted Therapy 08/01/2013 AfinitorChemotherapy 10/28/2013 Halaven

Jun 30, 2012 11:00AM ejnova wrote:

ct scans came back and they seem to be ok (chest, abdomen and neck). the radiologist is still concerned because of the numbness etc and wants a brain and neck MRI. i'm not sure if i want to do MRIs. i really think it feels like an arthritic problem because my shoulder is so sore and sometimes theres a crackling in my shoulder if i move it around. should i or shouldn't i go ahead with the MRIs?????

Jun 30, 2012 01:47PM rkt wrote:

MRI would indicate if you have herniated disk - that could be responsible for tingling like you describe - Even though I hated being in the MRI machine (had to remind myself to breathe), finding out that the numbness I had was from disk issues rather than cancer issues was worth feeling so confined in the MRI.  You could ask if there is an open MRI machine - I have heard those are better. 

I would get the MRI

Becky

Becky, Stage IV, bone mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-, diagnosed June 2008, right mastectomy May 2009, 0/13 nodes, pleural effusion May 2011, mets to liver October 2011

Jul 1, 2012 01:40AM kayfh wrote:

Have you googled brachial plexopathy?

Kay

Dx 3/3/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 8/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2+Surgery 04/27/2009 Mastectomy (Left)

Jul 1, 2012 01:48AM pip57 wrote:

I just had an MRI last night for this issue.  They are pretty sure it is just a nerve hooked up on a spur.  We do know that I have ddd in my neck.  

I wanted to tell you about acupuncture.  I have been getting treatments for a month now and it has really made a difference with the pain.  I strongly urge you to look into it. 

PIP - multi focal, FEC100/Tax, rads, dble mast with no recon, ooph/hyst, arimidex

Dx 2/1/2007, IDC, Stage IIIb, Grade 2, 9/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 1, 2012 11:12AM ejnova wrote:

i just did and thanks. it seems to mock my symptoms. i think i'll talk to the oncologist about this

Jul 3, 2012 03:53AM CAROL1MAINE wrote:

Ejnova.I like the arthritis idea, lets go with that.  I also have DDD in top of neck and when I move my neck around I can hear it grindling away. Sitting down brings on some numbness but up and moving about really helps. Appointment tomorrow will let you know. Are you on Xegva? could that harden up our DDD. Sending you best wishes  Carol

Jul 3, 2012 06:22PM Angela-R wrote:

Hi there. I had similar symptoms, nothing showed in ct scans etc. I had MRI of my neck which showed degeneration that accounted for the symptoms. Perhaps this will be the case for you.
I was referred to a neurosurgeon (who fortunately also treats patients with cancer) who wanted an MRI of my brachial plexus (the bundle of nerves coming from the neck) and bingo, there was a soft tissue tumor, just under my collar bone, wrapped around nerves. Surgery 2 weeks ago, brilliant surgeons, no pain or tingling anymore, just another scar. I wish you all the best.

Angela

Dx 2/7/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIc, Grade 3, 16/18 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-Dx 4/1/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIc, Grade 3, 21/21 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-Dx 4/23/2012, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2-Chemotherapy 05/09/2011 XelodaChemotherapy 10/29/2012 AbraxaneRadiation Therapy 02/21/2013 ExternalChemotherapy 04/17/2013 carboplatin, Gemzar

Jul 6, 2012 12:51AM CAROL1MAINE wrote:

Angela-R thanks for posting. It must have been quite a relief for you to get definate answers and solution. It's this not knowing what's inflaming the nerves in my back.  I have ILC and it's so hard to see on scans.

Jul 6, 2012 01:56PM ejnova wrote:

this is encouraging. i have an onc appointment tomorrow and will probably go ahead and schedule the MRI. thanks for your response

Jul 6, 2012 09:59PM CAROL1MAINE wrote:

Rohm Just want to say Hi and hope your radiation gives relief.

Jul 8, 2012 11:04AM ejnova wrote:

spoke to the oncologist yesterday. and am having an MRI of cervical spine. we, together, decided not to do the brain MRI. he said he's not looking for cancer but looking to see if there's compression in the cervical spine. i do have cancer there in the bone. so that's it for now. 

Jul 9, 2012 01:24AM Lowrider54 wrote:

ejnova

I totally agree with acupuncture...I have bone mets throughout my spine and since the risk of fracture is great, there is no more chiropractic so acupuncture is the option.  The needles are wonderful!  It has significally reduced the tingling and numbness - it still happens but with less frequency.  

I have also discovered horsetail for bone healing - I have been taking it for a full month and I have my next scans next week and I am so looking forward to see if it has done what is supposed to - rapid bone healing.  Since healing bones hurt - and I have had increased pain in all my bones - I am inclined to believe it is doing its job!  I ran it by the onc, as I always do and there seems to be no down side to taking it at all! 

Oh, I have never resorted to any radiation during my entire adventure with breast cancer and I am trying to not ever do it.  It would be my last resort - just my personal opinion.

Hugs to you...LowRider

Smile...it will make people wonder what you are up to...Initial dx 04/99 - CMF; 9/2009 bone mets Arimidex; 6/2010 Faslodex/Xgeva; 8/2011; abdominal wall invaded, ER/PR flipped to TN, Abraxane/Avastin//Xgeva 09/02/2011; 11/2011Xeloda/Avastin/Xgeva.

Dx 9/16/2009, Stage IV, 5/25 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jul 9, 2012 01:35AM, edited Jul 9, 2012 01:36AM by Karen2012

LowRider - You say your taking a supplement called "horsetail"? Never heard of it. I have bone mets so I'm very interested in your results. Please keep us posted. Good Luck!

Karen. Mets to lymphnodes, bone, lung, liver and brain

Dx 5/13/2011, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-Targeted Therapy AfinitorSurgery 05/05/1992 Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Right)Chemotherapy 06/15/1992 fluorouracilSurgery 05/10/2001 Mastectomy (Right)Hormonal Therapy 06/10/2011 FemaraHormonal Therapy 07/07/2011 AromasinRadiation Therapy 11/05/2011 ExternalChemotherapy 12/20/2011 TaxolHormonal Therapy 01/03/2012 FaslodexChemotherapy 12/27/2013 Xeloda

Jul 13, 2012 11:48PM CAROL1MAINE wrote:

cervical spine MRI results - showed some DDD of the T3 showed bone cancer and bone marrow involement which past CT's had showed, but really nothing new, didn,t show any spinal cord compression. Arm and 2 baby fingers, neck, back burning is so much better since they put me on Decadron 1mg morning and night. So know I have a Spinal tap on Tuesday 17th. My other complaint is my legs just feel weak although they are better since I'm on day seven of 14/7 Xeloda first cycle and I did read muscle weakness SE for Xeloda . Will keep you posted. Thanks. Helps talking.

Jul 17, 2012 01:12PM ejnova wrote:

had cervical MRI this morning and it was negative for any nerve damage and spinal cord is aligned. problem is over the past couple days i've had tingling in my face and top of head as well as my arm. not sure what to make of this. oncologist said perhaps we should go ahead with brain MRI. going to wait a week and see if this subsides. any suggestions or comments??

Jul 19, 2012 08:53AM CAROL1MAINE wrote:

does the arm tingling change with your position? mine seems to come or go according to what position a lay in or sit  in a chair. or bend on and reach

I also have some funny numbness on my upper lip and the very front of my head feels a little soar  and tight. I had my lumbar tap yesterday. Went pretty well I just had to lay down still for the day. Appointment with the ONC tomorrow afternoon, sort of anxiety I know they are looking for cancer cells in the spinal fluid, Since I.ve been on the Decadron for inflamation I feel so much better arm pain gone, back not burning. Well wish you the best at least we know our spinal cords don't have any tumors pushing on them. If they could only find some spots to give a tinny zap to.

keep us posted

Jul 19, 2012 10:20AM ejnova wrote:

doesn't matter what position i'm in. standing, sitting or lying i still get the tingling in my arm. not sure what i'm going to do. let me know how you make out carol1maine. i'll be thinking about you

Jul 19, 2012 12:43PM ejnova wrote:

i'm sitting here this evening thinking and pondering what to do and my phone rang about 9:30 and it's my oncologist who said he's sorry for calling so late in the evenng but he was thinking about me and wanted to know how i was doing. after some conversation we agreed to do the brain MRI. if we can rule out anything going on there then we can conclude that this is not anything serious. is it wonderful to have an oncologist who actually cares. i feel good.

Jul 19, 2012 01:37PM ibcmets wrote:

Thinking about you Ejnova.  Sounds like you have a great onc.  I had a brain MRI at diagnosis.  The scan was pretty easy.  Hope they can figure out what's causing the tingling soon.

I just had my PET scan today and will find out results on Friday.  I get them every 6 months now.  I was having Zometa for the bones monthly for the last 3 years and will now switch to once every 3 months. 

Terri

6/2009: ibc,stage IV bone mets, ER/PR+, Her2-, 1/2011: BMX/Recon, Femara & Zometa;10/13 Aromasin/Afinitor

Jul 23, 2012 09:26PM CAROL1MAINE wrote:

Spinal Tap negative for cancer cells, LM. Onc also said had high sugar which was also good, with CNS mets sugar seems to run low.

ONC believes because of the extensive spinal mets and also some DDD the nerves coming off the spine are inflamed. The Decadron 2 mg a day has taken all symtoms tingling burning down back away. ONC is going to take away the Decadron not a drug she wants to keep one on. Try maybe Lyrica

to calm the nerves, She's also hoping the Xeloda will kick in I"m on my second cycle. 

Ejnova I'm so pleased you feel good with your ONC that was nice of him to call, I completely understand how that made you feel, My husband and I were waiting in the exam room with door open waiting for the spinal tap results and the ONC stuck her head in and said you're OK ! good results then she went off to another patient room wasn't our turn yet, but I really appreciated her not letting us sit thereanother half hour or so worried. Best of luck,

Jul 23, 2012 09:27PM CAROL1MAINE wrote:

Spinal Tap negative for cancer cells, LM. Onc also said had high sugar which was also good, with CNS mets sugar seems to run low.

ONC believes because of the extensive spinal mets and also some DDD the nerves coming off the spine are inflamed. The Decadron 2 mg a day has taken all symtoms tingling burning down back away. ONC is going to take away the Decadron not a drug she wants to keep one on. Try maybe Lyrica

to calm the nerves, She's also hoping the Xeloda will kick in I"m on my second cycle. 

Ejnova I'm so pleased you feel good with your ONC that was nice of him to call, I completely understand how that made you feel, My husband and I were waiting in the exam room with door open waiting for the spinal tap results and the ONC stuck her head in and said you're OK ! good results then she went off to another patient room wasn't our turn yet, but I really appreciated her not letting us sit thereanother half hour or so worried. Best of luck,

Jul 31, 2012 01:16PM ejnova wrote:

all my scans, mri's came back negative for cervical spine issues or brain mets. i still have the tingling in my right arm and face and guess i'll just ignore it unless something changes.

Jul 31, 2012 03:27PM formygirls wrote:

It is great that all scans are clean. Awesome. Hope your tingling goes away.

Initially diagnosed with triple neg stage 3 bc in Feb 2008. Mets dx in Feb 2012 with change in receptors .Mets to liver, brain, bone, lung and nodes and central nervous system.

Dx 2/3/2012, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 2/29 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Page 1 of 2 (32 results)