We are 144,874 members in 73 forums discussing 114,700 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: Can you get SSDI and short term/long term disability?

Topic: Can you get SSDI and short term/long term disability?

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only or those posting on behalf of a Stage IV patient. There is a separate forum for Stage IV Caregivers/Family in "Support and Community Connections".

Posted on: May 22, 2013 02:55PM, edited May 22, 2013 02:56PM by LizLemon

LizLemon wrote:

So sorry, as I know that these issues have been much discussed, but I couldn't find the answer to this in what's been previously written...

Can a person be on short term disability/long term disability AND be receiving SSDI benefits? I guess I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to bridge the 6 month waiting period with the Short Term Disability benefit from an employer? Or - for that matter, if one can have them overlap once the SSDI starts?

Also - does just having the Stage IV dx automatically get you approved for SSDI (and/or short term disability) , or must one "prove" in addition that they can no longer work due to physically or mental issues? If so, how does that work?

One thing I learned today: You can go to the Social Security website, create a login, and get an estimate of what you're monthly payment would be (specifically based on YOUR income history). I also learned that the SSDI benefits basically last until you reach retirement age - then are called retirement benefits (not sure if amount changes at that point, though). So, for me, being 46 now, soon to be 47, it's not realistic that I'll hit retirement age, so the SSDI benefits once started would be there for me for the rest of my life at the amount approved.

Thanks in advance all - 

LL

Page 1 of 2 (38 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (38 total)

May 22, 2013 03:25PM pattih wrote:

I can't answer the short/long term question but I filed online with the Stage IV "ending in death" box checked. Gruesome but true. I gave my oncology information and they faxed to the SS office what they wanted. I was approved in less than a month and recieved one year back pay. Plus my two minor children qualified for SS also. Not much but it helps, especially since my husband was given notice this month.

Dx 12/15/2003, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 22, 2013 03:28PM K-Lo wrote:

Liz, I don't know about work disability as i was not eligible.  I have heard that one should file as soon as you know you may need it.  Also, EMLA, which you probably already have.  BC is supposed to be a red flag for employers.   There have been many lawsuits.

I got retirement disability immediately.  SSDI was a sure thing with stage 4 breast cancer.   But they will not pay you for 6 months AFTER you stop working   But it is only a matter of forms.  Your doctor, you; done.

Kathy

Dx 8/30/2010, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, 8/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 22, 2013 03:44PM Fitztwins wrote:

Yes.

The LTD/STD insurance companies make you apply for SSDI benefits.  I qualified for 60% income of my salary. I received that amount for 6 months, then when SSDI started to pay, I received the difference from the 60% -SSDI from the insurance co. I also had to apply for my kids (Under 18), which they(LTD insurance) deducted also.  Long story short is that the Insurance companies will pay as little as they can. We can't double dip. Too bad right?

example:

60% of my salary = $1000

LTD paid                  $600  for 6 months

after SSDI

SSDI                        $300

Bene SSDI                $100

LTD                          $200

still the same amount.

I have been on it over 2 years. The LTD makes me fill out a form yearly saying I am disable. I also have to fill out a form for the government saying how I used the income for my boys.

Oh, then medicare kicks in @ 2 years. Thank goodness, because my husbands insurance change 3 months later. Phew dodged that bullet.

Does this help?  Feel free to email me if you need to.

Janis

SSDI

Enjoy Every Sandwich.

Dx 12/12/2004, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+Surgery 01/19/2005 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left); Reconstruction: TRAM flap (Left)Chemotherapy 02/01/2005 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolRadiation Therapy 05/01/2005 ExternalTargeted Therapy 06/01/2005 HerceptinHormonal Therapy 01/01/2006 FemaraHormonal Therapy 06/02/2008 AromasinTargeted Therapy 07/01/2008 HerceptinTargeted Therapy 05/05/2010 TykerbHormonal Therapy 08/02/2012 TamoxifenHormonal Therapy 06/15/2013 Arimidex

May 22, 2013 05:10PM Bon_ wrote:

Janis, that's awesome explanation for all.

LL, hope you go for it and don't forget about life insurance payout that you can get now and use for paying off things and that lightens the worry about bills from not being able work.  Janis can tell you more about that too, wish I'd had it, many don't know you can cash it in, forgot the words for it.

Dx 3/15/2008, IBC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/18 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 22, 2013 05:18PM Bon_ wrote:

oh I just remembered its excelerated benefits from life insurance....like 75% of it now and 25% to beneficiary when time comes....something like that.

May 22, 2013 05:53PM LizLemon wrote:

Thanks everyone!!

Why did you get back pay, Patti H? Had you not been working all that time, but only applied after a year? When does back pay figure in to this. Hmmm..

Fitz - thanks so much - that makes perfect sense. It's good to know I could soften the blow of not working at least by the amount of the Short Term Disability while waiting for the rest to kick in from SSDI.

K-Lo - I don't know what EMLA is? I tried googling...and I get Licocaine! LOL!! Also good info to know that basically the diagnosis is enough. Incidentally, my other dx now, is also on the compassionate something or other list, where they do quicker approvals like they do with BC. 

Unfortunately - the only life insurance I have is through my job...so I don't think I can do that. But I saw an ad for that kind of an early payout thingee last night in Cure Magazine online, and I thought, "Wow - they've thought of everything!" The ad was a little creepy, honestly - but I get it that if I had a policy I could cash in, that would be pretty awesome to know! (And who knows these things until you have to??).

Thanks again, ladies. I learn new things every day around here.

Mets to lungs and bones dx 10/18/12, Endometrial Stromal Sarcoma dx 5/16/13

Dx 3/31/2000, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 2/22 nodes, ER+/PR+Dx 10/18/2012, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+Surgery 04/06/2000 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Chemotherapy 05/03/2000 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolHormonal Therapy 09/18/2000 TamoxifenRadiation Therapy 10/01/2000 ExternalSurgery 10/24/2004 Reconstruction: DIEP flap (Left)Surgery 02/15/2005 Reconstruction: Nipple reconstruction (Left)Hormonal Therapy 10/24/2012 TamoxifenChemotherapy 11/02/2012 Xeloda

May 22, 2013 06:17PM Chickadee wrote:

Just because your insurance is through your job doesn't mean they don't have n accelerated benefit. Check with HR. mine does but I haven't asked or it. Mine would only give 50% of the benefit. This varies by company too. Beware some will give you a loan on the insurance, you don't want that.

At the risk of repeating myself ad infinitum, SSDI is not "automatic" for stage IV, but we are entitled to an expedited review based on our terminal status. Once filed direct all your inquiries to the states disability review board, that is where the approval takes place. Various states are more lenient then others but your documentation should support your contention that your disability will prevent you from working for 12 months or more.

I don't have any advice on the rest of the work issues.

I'm in such bad shape, I'm wearing prescription underwear." Phyllis Diller 1917-2012

Dx 9/1/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 22, 2013 07:07PM EnglishMajor wrote:

Chickadee is correct--tho you might not pay for it, you have life insurance thru your employer. I know I did--I never elected addtional coverage because I am single w/no dependents. But I did have a policy. As I have a low volume of bone mets I am able to continue to work full time and thus never claimed the benefit.

What you saw in CURE was for a viatical settlement--if you did have another life insurance policy you could sell it to the viatical company. It may be--if you have life insurance as part of your employer provided benefits--your policy would provide for the  "accelerated death benefit."  You can then take the payout from your policy now vs. your heirs collecting it. Your doctor would have to sign off on the paperwork, essentially affirming your days are numbered.

I think K-LO has a typo in her comment. She might be refrring to FMLA...Familyand Medical Leave Act.

I have not applied for SSDI. As i understand it, your doctor would have to sign paper work to the effect you can't work. You would also have to provide supporting documentation--for example a copy of the relevant scan report indicating metastatic disease.

Dx 7/6/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 22, 2013 09:46PM ibcmets wrote:

Liz, Your work most probably does carry the accelerated death benefit for the group life insurance for you.  Normally it covers up to your yearly sallary, but when hired you may have had the opportunity to pay a small amount more to take out more.  I took out 2X the amount. 

I'm in California and I did take out the accelerated death benefit on my work lns policy.  I got 75% and it's not taxable.  They said I could keep the remainder in place for a year, but it would terminate at that time or I could convert it over to a private ins. policy but it was too expensive and had to convert term to whole life.

Janis is correct--no double dipping.  Your LTD will deduct what you are getting from SSDI.

Terri

6/2009: ibc,stage IV bone mets, ER/PR+, Her2-, 1/2011: BMX/Recon, Femara & Zometa;10/13 Aromasin/Afinitor

May 22, 2013 10:36PM pattih wrote:

The year backpay was confusing for me too. I thought I filled out the app wrong and was going to jail. I called SS and was told based on my medical records and working only part-time I was elegible starting a year prior. I have been stage IV for 5 years and the last year has been bad. I guess it was up to their review board and whatever info my oncologist faxed over. I will be taxed heavily for that back pay because my husband still works so I called my accountant and she told me what to set aside for taxes next year.

Dx 12/15/2003, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 23, 2013 12:30AM Bon_ wrote:

I got back pay to when applied, the reason SSD rep gave me is that my first symptom was swollen lymph node under right arm and went to gyn who explained to me that lymph nodes swell when our bodies are fighting off something like the flu (even though I didn't have flu symptoms) and he sent me for mammo & ultrasound...which I mentioned a slight size difference at that time but was told by rad tech that most women are assymetrical and at that time had no other symptoms of IBC - not that they (rad tech or gyn) knew anything about IBC then (they didn't)...the lymph node went back to normal... but by March08 it was obvious something was wrong.

So because I went to see a doctor and that is documented with those first symptoms, which were not dx as any cancer then, the SSD rep said that's the date they go back to, as long as I had not been working full-time...if I had been working full-time but had to take time off work for anything related to symptoms or diagnosising, would still go back to that date.  There is a five month waiting period.

Here's how mine worked.

March 2008: Diagnosed with biopsy.

March 2008: Filled out application online and went into local office with required documents.

April 2008: Received entitlement letter stating my date of diability, benefit amount, backpay to receive, that my benefit will be direct deposited on 3rd Wed each month.

May 2007: Was determined by the SSD rep date became diasbled (first sign of symptoms and not working).

November 2007: Calculated to my Date of Eligibility (because of the waiting period: May to June to July to August to Sept to Oct = 5 months of waiting)

May 2008: Received backpay benefit (direct deposited) for November 2007-March 2008.

May 2008: Received first benefit payment for April 2008 and have ever since on 3rd Wed of each month.

You can get a debit card or have it direct deposited to your own account.

May 23, 2013 10:01AM Annie62 wrote:

Liz- I haven't read the other replies but here is my experience:

Stage IV is considered a compassionate allowance and you basically get approved automatically. My onc was helpful in filling out the forms for this properly to make sure this was granted.

Was on STD through my job for 6 months. The insurance company that my firm uses took care of transitioning me to LTD and outsourced my SSDI applications at no charge as well. So you don't get SSDI untill he STD is done. We started the SSDI application before LTD kicked in and it will take a while for it to be finally approved. They will pay back to the effective date. Because I was a 'high wage earner', the amount I get in SSDI is deducted from my LTD. So the first SSDI payment is deposited into an a account and I won't touch it until the insurance company takes the reimbursement.

I chose to go for the SSDI even though I end up with the same total payment because my daughter will also get SSDI and it will be set up when I die and my husband won't have to deal with it. They also help you handle anything that comes up which is helpful.

Also, my state, NJ has STD disabiltiy payments. My STD throught he insurance company also deducted that from my STD payment but the handled the whole thing.

For people who make less than I did, you may end up with more on STD + state STD and then the LTD + SSDI.

Hope this helps.

Annie

Stage IV 8/2012 Bone, liver, pleural mets. Xgeva, Doxil. Past chemos - Gemzar, Navelbine, Xeloda, Faslodex Orig Dx 11/2004 Stage IIIc IDC 11/19 nodes AC and Taxotere. Tamox, Aromasin, Recurrence 2011 Abraxane and Gemzar , ER+/PR+ Her2- BRCA-

May 23, 2013 10:09AM Fitztwins wrote:

more thoughts, 

For me STD was 100% of salary for 12 weeks, the LTD 60%. 

As to accellerated benefits, I did my employer life insurance policy. I still have a 2nd policy. 

I recieved 80%, paid off everything and put $$ in the bank. It made the transistion to 60% very easy.

Enjoy Every Sandwich.

Dx 12/12/2004, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+Surgery 01/19/2005 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left); Reconstruction: TRAM flap (Left)Chemotherapy 02/01/2005 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolRadiation Therapy 05/01/2005 ExternalTargeted Therapy 06/01/2005 HerceptinHormonal Therapy 01/01/2006 FemaraHormonal Therapy 06/02/2008 AromasinTargeted Therapy 07/01/2008 HerceptinTargeted Therapy 05/05/2010 TykerbHormonal Therapy 08/02/2012 TamoxifenHormonal Therapy 06/15/2013 Arimidex

May 23, 2013 10:14AM JillThut wrote:

Ibcmets,

I was able to maintain the 25 percent remainder of my life insurance from work after taking the accelerated death benefit without having to pay a premium for it due to being disabled prior to retirement age.

bone, liver and brain mets Jill

Dx 10/6/2009, Stage IV, metsDx IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 23, 2013 12:06PM chefmiche wrote:

I had so much pain in beginning of getting dx already I had been taking muscle relaxers because my MD said I prob had pulled a muscle, so I was having a hard time at work and when I was told I had been dx with IV MBC, and they wanted to start me on pain meds for my hip pain, I was then unable to work due to the pain and pain meds, my pain kept getting worse so I had went on STD which then turned into LTD and like it has been said already LTD required me to apply for SSDI, which I was approved immediately and it had been 6 months since I had been at work that the SSDI started pretty quick after application.  My company will continue to pay LTD until retirement age, but they deduct what SSDI pays, which totals 60% of my pay.  I had to sell my car and use my 401k (which I was auto qualified to have full access to after going on LTD) money to pay off most of my debts.  That was nice, except for tax time that 401k money showed as income and had more to repay.  UGH.  My company does offer 1 times my annual salary on the Accelerated Death policy, I looked up my employee handbook to see it in writing, bc, when I called my co hr serv center 800# the person who answered the phone didn't know what I was talking about, and I got discouraged until I used the words Accelerated death benefits through Life insurance.  They transferred me to the Life insurance company to ask for the form.

I wish I could get my onc to sign the Accelerated Benefits form, I could use that money!  I know she won't sign it due to me asking her my life expectancy (hoping she would say less than a year, which my form requires her to say) recently and she said "I know you won't die in one year and maybe not even 2 years, but not sure after that.  I just don't think I can ask her to sign the form knowing she thinks I will live longer than a year or two.  But she did say that before I had progression and had to stop A/A and move to Xeloda this month, maybe she would sign it now, I am chicken though.  My empoyer will terminate me on last day of September of this year and COBRA begins Oct 1st, which will be very expensive.  My onc office knows of a Medicaid program for breast cancer and ovarian cancer patients in treatment, but when he called to see if I qualified for the program, the person he asked said that I was not qualified due to me taking oral chemo and that wasn't the same as iv chemo.  My onc said Xeloda is just as much a chemo as any iv chemo would be so she said she would check into that for me.  I wish there was a person that handed a newly dx patient a list of contact #s for programs and companies, organizations that help either with co-pay assistance, or help with cost of meds, and all the info needed when you have to leave your job.  It has felt like a mystery I  have to solve to find out what to do, luckilly I have this site to refer to where I get most of my info, thanks so much!

Mets to bones, currently no active tumors! As of 11/8/13

Dx 9/2011, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 07/10/2007 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolSurgery 11/23/2007 Mastectomy (Both)Radiation Therapy 01/15/2008 ExternalSurgery 04/15/2008 Reconstruction: DIEP flap, Nipple reconstruction (Both)Hormonal Therapy 09/28/2011 AromasinRadiation Therapy 10/05/2011 ExternalSurgery 12/09/2011 Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Targeted Therapy 01/29/2013 AfinitorChemotherapy 05/13/2013 Xeloda

May 23, 2013 05:59PM ibcmets wrote:

Jill,

That's wonderful that you were able to have your company pay for the premiums.  I know my company has paid for them for 3 years after disability, but no more.

Terri

6/2009: ibc,stage IV bone mets, ER/PR+, Her2-, 1/2011: BMX/Recon, Femara & Zometa;10/13 Aromasin/Afinitor

May 23, 2013 06:36PM JillThut wrote:

Actually.....it's Anthem..the insurer that waived the premium...not the employer. The employer, in fact, ..the HR dept specifically was oblivious to how it works..accelerated death benefits and everything. She is educated now..but only because I researched it and informed her. In the Anthem book it specifically states that if one leaves their employment due to a disability that precludes them from working prior to retirement age then they can continue the coverage without the payment of premium. Sometimes they check periodically to be sure the disability is continuing to be sure you're still eligible for the waiver of premium. But it is the health insurer in my case that has waived the premium.

Dx 10/6/2009, Stage IV, metsDx IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 23, 2013 11:28PM Brendatrue wrote:

I had the same experience as Jill: no one told me about the possibility of continuing my life insurance (and it was not in the employee handbook), and the HR contact had just made a comment about converting to a private policy and how prohibitively expensive that would be. I later discovered that once I had been approved for LTD through my employer, I was eligible to apply for the premium waiver provided by the life insurance company's disability waiver provider. That approval process was incredibly easy, and now I just provide a physician's statement annually so that I can keep my life insurance until retirement age.

And to add my experience to others' reports: I received STD for 6 months, during which time I applied for LTD and SSDI. When I applied for LTD, my health insurance was automatically continued, with just my regular monthly premium cost deducted from my benefits. When I was approved for LTD, I was also approved for continuation of my health insurance (at the same group premium rate as all other employees). My health insurance will continue as primary until I am eligible for Medicare later this year, when it will become secondary, if I choose to keep it (and it would continue to be offered to me at the group rate). ALso, I was fortunate to have SSDI approved in 48 days, and that approval seemed to positively affect the decision process of the LTD insurer.

Brenda

Dx 1995, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 2006, IDC, 1cm, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 2009, IDC, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 24, 2013 01:34AM ibcmets wrote:

Thanks for the info,  I still may have time to check the disability waiver on the Insurance.  At least I took out the majority for accelerated  death benefits.

Terri

May 24, 2013 04:34AM, edited May 24, 2013 04:36AM by Bon_

Since I was not working at time and had no life insurance (just a lil $2k death benefit with DH union) so didn't get any of the STD, LTD or accelerated life...but I did investigate about the the life insurance for terminally ill and bought a few policies...have to make it 2yrs from date started to get full benefit payout to beneficiaries.

DH told his sister she ought get all her benefits from work and life insurance, and he ask me to email her the info...about a month or so ago she text and said she did it, and is grateful because had we not told her she wouldn't have known.  She asked her onc if what we were telling her was so that if he'd sign those documents, and he said yes he would if she wanted him to....that's how all oncs should be, why make a patient have to beg for their signaure, that's something they are entitled to and earned. just my opinion on it.

May 24, 2013 11:32AM chefmiche wrote:

I agree Bon, why should we have to beg?  There is no repercussions if we live longer than the 12 months in my case, the money would not be repaid by me or MO.  They don't even follow up after to check to see if we are alive or not is what I was told by the Life Insurance company.  So if she tells me no (if I get the nerve up to ask) it seems very unfair of her since we didn't have a choice to stop working or to get this disease, why not make it easier to pay the large medical bills we get!  Hard to understand.  I think I will have a problem with my onc if she tells me no.  But I will have to get over it.  Unless I go to my pain Dr and ask her to sign.  My therapist offered to sign it for me, would that count?  Prob not.  It's not like it's a lot of money in my case, ($50K).  That would change my life if I had that cash though! 

Dx 9/2011, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 07/10/2007 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolSurgery 11/23/2007 Mastectomy (Both)Radiation Therapy 01/15/2008 ExternalSurgery 04/15/2008 Reconstruction: DIEP flap, Nipple reconstruction (Both)Hormonal Therapy 09/28/2011 AromasinRadiation Therapy 10/05/2011 ExternalSurgery 12/09/2011 Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Targeted Therapy 01/29/2013 AfinitorChemotherapy 05/13/2013 Xeloda

May 24, 2013 03:10PM JillThut wrote:

At the time I took the accelerated death benefit I was switching oncs. The original one didn't know it yet though since I had the second one request my records and I never actually formerly told him I was leaving him. But in any case regarding the benefit...I had already started with the second onc so wasn't sure which one to have complete the paperwork...but both were willing...which was bittersweet 'cause I almost wanted one of them to argue that I had more life left. I copied the page from the life insurance booklet that said what the requirements were...12 months or less...and left it with him so he knew what to say. I'm not sure why some oncs are hesitant to do that....because if any of us were to stop treatments it would probably be accurate. It seems maybe some of them see it as a personal failure on their part. In any case, chefmiche, maybe she won't have a problem signing it. I hope you get it if and when you ask.

May 24, 2013 05:28PM chefmiche wrote:

fingers crossed Jill Smile

May 24, 2013 07:34PM Chickadee wrote:

The hesitancy of a doctor to sign is tied to their risk of being charged with insurance fraud if the facts don't support the application. Doctors in major medical centers probably have legal guidelines dictated to them by their employers.

I'm in such bad shape, I'm wearing prescription underwear." Phyllis Diller 1917-2012

Dx 9/1/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 29, 2013 04:38PM, edited May 29, 2013 04:41PM by LizLemon

This is such wonderful information to have. Thanks to everyone for this great discussion!

I would've never known in a million years about Accelerated Death Benefits - nor would I have known about how STD/LTD work together with SSDI. I understand now about the back pay as well - thanks so much!

I agree with Chefmiche - it would be great to have someone tell us all these things when we are ready to hear them. It seems that everyone shares by word of mouth, but just having things spelled out in one place would be so helpful.

I've also started telling DH these things. While sometimes it's really hard for me to talk about, it's also good that we can begin to make plans. I just don't want to leave him with a boat load of debt.

Having had my original bout with BC 13 yrs. ago, I always used to get the most life insurance possible at any job. In the past few years, I had stopped that practice, thinking, "I'm probably fine now. Why spend the extra money?". Well, this is exactly why. Oh - I could just KICK myself for that. I suppose I could get another job, and go to the max on the life insurance - but that seems like such a lot of effort right now. 

Mets to lungs and bones dx 10/18/12, Endometrial Stromal Sarcoma dx 5/16/13

Dx 3/31/2000, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 2/22 nodes, ER+/PR+Dx 10/18/2012, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+Surgery 04/06/2000 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Chemotherapy 05/03/2000 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolHormonal Therapy 09/18/2000 TamoxifenRadiation Therapy 10/01/2000 ExternalSurgery 10/24/2004 Reconstruction: DIEP flap (Left)Surgery 02/15/2005 Reconstruction: Nipple reconstruction (Left)Hormonal Therapy 10/24/2012 TamoxifenChemotherapy 11/02/2012 Xeloda

May 30, 2013 12:46AM ERWMfromCentFla wrote:

I agree this type of information is so helpful.  I can't imagine how much we would have completely wasted and not known about.  Planning is much more solid at this point.  I too had never heard of such an option as Acclerated Death Benefits but here it is.

While we can't really apply just yet I just feel grateful to learn about these things.  Her group plan with work has said no problem, however my insurance company said no way, since we didn't check off the ADB Rider when filling it out 15 years ago. 

Aug 22, 2013 08:00AM chefmiche wrote:

i did ask my onc and she did sign papers and i received the money it has totally changed our life by paying off debt and lessen our monthly bills so not as much pressure on my hubby which helps us a lot! I also learned of a program here locally called WINGS that helps bc women pay for COBRA and other things too!  There are so many resources out there for us...which is great!

Aug 22, 2013 08:22AM, edited Aug 22, 2013 08:54AM by JillThut

Great, chefmiche. Glad to hear it! The Healthwell foundation is another resource that helped me pay for COBRA premiums for a few months. They can help with copays too.

Aug 22, 2013 08:39AM muthom-stage4 wrote:

I am thankful that I just received my approval letter for SS Disability.  It will not start paying until December, but fortunately my husband's work offered an Aflak plan which we signed up for last year.  They pay out a lump sump for a critical diagnois.  So that money should tied us over until the diability kicks in.  I don't know how people do this without insurance.

Dx 5/23/2013, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-Hormonal Therapy 05/23/2012 Fareston

Aug 22, 2013 11:53AM RangerMom wrote:

On the accelerated life insurance, I believe my company benefits people told me I have to be 12 months or less life expectancy to claim it.  Did anyone else require that prognosis to get their life insurance? thanks

Extensive mets to spine and both hips. Dx with ca in both breasts, left pr+ and right er+

Dx 3/22/2011, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 2, 3/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 11/14/2012, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 04/28/2011 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolSurgery 08/16/2011 Mastectomy (Both); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Right)Radiation Therapy 09/07/2011 ExternalHormonal Therapy 12/01/2011 AromasinHormonal Therapy 11/14/2012 FaslodexRadiation Therapy 11/29/2012 ExternalRadiation Therapy 02/20/2013 ExternalChemotherapy 03/15/2013 Xeloda

Page 1 of 2 (38 results)