We are 144,895 members in 73 forums discussing 114,712 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: IBC (Inflammatory Breast Cancer) → Topic: Did anyones Rash look like this?

Topic: Did anyones Rash look like this?

Forum: IBC (Inflammatory Breast Cancer) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for IBC. Posting pictures of symptoms is NOT recommended -- you are encouraged to seek medical advice from your doctor in the event of any concerns.

Posted on: Nov 18, 2011 06:30PM, edited Nov 20, 2011 12:10AM by Moderators

MelissaAnn wrote:

I got this rash on the 10th, I've been using hydrocortizone cream, and just yesterday the doc prescribed anti fungal cream.

It has not spread, it's stayed the same since the 10th, 

Monday I see the breast surgeon again, she will do a punch biopsy, but I'm an absolute nervous wreck.

If this is inflammatory breast cancer, I just don't know why I would get a blotchy red rash on my left breast, the rash I initially saw the breast surgeon for in the first place.

For those who pray, Please pray for me!

Page 1 of 3 (82 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (82 total)

Nov 18, 2011 08:42PM Faith316 wrote:

Mine did not look like that.  It wasn't individual red bumps but more like a purplish patch of rough raised skin that kept spreading.  Plus a lot of other symptoms such as hot swollen breast, thickened skin, flattened nipple, peau d'orange.

DX 4/08 IDC, ER-, PR-, HER2+, IIB, Grade 3,lumpectomy,2/8 nodes,4 AC,12 wks.Taxol,Herceptin,30 rads. DX IBC 6/09 while still in treatment. Now Stage III. 6 mo. of Xeloda done, still on Tykerb. Uni-mx & another node dissection 2/4/10.

Nov 18, 2011 11:40PM wallycat wrote:

It looks more like a contact dermatits from the pic, but I am not a doctor.

I had a nasty rash from deodarant once, under my arm...are you using new lotion? shampoo? detergent?  Are you exercising more?  may even be a heat rash.....

Will keep good thoughts.

A nice wash with vinegar a few times a day would keep any yeast/fungal issues at bay.

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Nov 19, 2011 12:41AM MelissaAnn wrote:

Hi

No, nothing new. I had a red blotchy rash on my left breast back in the beginning of September. I googled "red blotchy rash on breast" and all that came up was for inflammatory breast cancer. So I went and saw a Breast Surgeon. She didn't run any tests, she just looked at it and said that is not inflammatory breast cancer, she felt my breasts and lymphnodes. i asked her has she seen IBC before and she said yes to many times. She told me to use Hydrocortizone cream and if it didnt go away in a month come back and see her. Well a night later I got another raised spot on that same breast. Then the same thing on the right breast, All 3 spots responded to Hydrocortizone. The I got this bumpy hive type rash on Nov 10th, None of the rashes itch or hurt. I have no swelling of the breasts, or nipple issues or the orange thing. But this rash isnt responding to hydrocortizone. So Im seeing the breast surgeon on Tuesday for a punch biopsy.

I'm a nervous wreck, This is making my Generalized Anxiety with Panic way worse. I can't stop crying, I can't sleep or eat. I just sit and shake. I already have Multiple Sclerosis that makes my life hard enough. If it does turn out to be IBC, I am going to need support badly!

Nov 19, 2011 06:29AM, edited Nov 19, 2011 06:31AM by dogeyed

Dear Worry,

I had IBC (just finished all treatments, chemo, surgery, rads), as well as a couple other cancers in my breast, and I did not have the rash-looking appearance you have.  Mine was more like a mark, as tho I had been burned with a one-inch by two-inch branding iron, all one swath of deep redness.  It appeared almost overnight.  I have also seen round type scars, could be considered blotchy, but it's all collected together and not sort of spread-out like yours.  One time I was using a new laundry detergent, and I got rashes wherever I sweated, like under my arm.  So, I agree with what some others said here, think over whatever touches your skin, be it soap, lotion, laundry detergent.  And even if you did not change anything, could be your washer needs to do an extra rinse cycle to get all the soap out.  I have very sensitive skin and I pay a lot of attention to what's going on with stuff that comes in contact with my skin.  Maybe you could wear a really soft old t-shirt and go braless for a few days, keep up with the cortisone since that has helped clear it, and see what happens. GG  P.S. I have Panic Disorder, deep breathing helps.

IBC, IDC, Melanoma/ 5 mos ACT chemo, mastectomy, rads to 11/2011, Arimidex 1 mo, NED 9/2012, two+yr survivor 5/2013

Dx 2/14/2011, IDC, 5cm, Grade 3, 2/11 nodes, ER+

Nov 19, 2011 07:28AM glasslady062011 wrote:

The internet can be a wonderful thing, but, it can also scare us to death.... 

I know this is easier said than done, but try not worry until there is something to worry about.  I would keep using the cortizone cream and the going braless idea under a soft tshirt sounds like a good idea as well.  I have been healing from my surgery and focused radiation treatment (used a balloon catheter) and with the location of everything, it was right at my bra line.  This was not fun at the height of summer, so I got a heat rash.   

Keep us posted

Do not fear, for I am with you, do not be afraid, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you. I will uphold you with my victorious right hand. Isaiah 41:10

Dx 6/7/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 06/23/2011 Lumpectomy (Left)Radiation Therapy 06/27/2011 Internal

Nov 19, 2011 07:42AM nagem wrote:

That looks exactly like the rash I got after my bilateral mastectomy. No one seemed concerned about it, but no one knew what it was either. I was quite anxious about it until it finally disappeared on its own. I think it may have been a stress reaction to the diagnosis and the surgery.

nagem (underthestinkwoodtree.blogspot...)

Dx 9/23/2005, ILC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 1/13 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Nov 19, 2011 10:12AM mammalou wrote:

Check out lichen planas.

Dx 1/11/2011, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIb, 1/9 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 19, 2011 11:16AM apple wrote:

and know that many meds can cause hivelike reactions. 

i had a short 'course of skin mets before a med change.... and they looked like tiny footballs under the skin.. nothing like that.

peace and love, apple - ..... Mary Magdalen

Dx 4/10/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/9 nodes, mets, ER+, HER2+

Nov 20, 2011 12:00AM MelissaAnn wrote:

I just read this

That you can have welts on your breast from inflammatory breast cancer. Mine look like welts, but they dont itch!!

I can't stop crying. How do people cope?

Nov 20, 2011 12:19AM Emaline wrote:

You are in the hardest part of this all, the waiting.  There are many different ways to cope, depending on your level of anxiety.  I called and asked my doctor for help and he prescribed me Xanax.  It didn't make me goofy, or sleepy or anything else. It just took my anxiety level from being through the roof to being able to cope.  Once I was diagnosed, we were able to move forward.  It is the waiting that sucks.

Dx 4/4/2011, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+

Nov 20, 2011 12:21AM, edited Nov 20, 2011 12:21AM by tarry

WWM, I also can worry, but honestly worrying about your skin is nearly pointless. You want to bring odd rashes and inflamations to a doctor's attention, and you've done that. You have arranged for a very high tech diagnostic technique. And you have also consulted an expert who doesn't think it is cancer.

The thing is, the skin is an extremely large, complex organ that does a lot of strange things. We have to live with that.

Having an anxiety disorder, I've found the quality of my life varies greatly with the accuracy of my medical analysis and prescription. I've been stable sine 1985. For years before that my life was very difficult, as I was jerked about by irrational anxious surges. It is worth a very great deal to find a doctor who can help you feel stable.

Mind you, if I get bad news (e.g., you have breat cancer), I'll be pretty unstable for several days. But now I can pick myself up. I dearly hope you have or can find a source of such stability.

Dx 5/30/2011, IDC, 4cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 20, 2011 12:27AM kiley56 wrote:

I'm praying for you Mel.     Kiley

kiley

Nov 20, 2011 12:28AM tarry wrote:

Let me second Emaline on xanax. Despite my background medication, a lot of early episodes in the diagnosis and treatment-planning for my BC were sending my blood pressure sky high. Xanax was a godsend.

I also have a cat who totally freaks out over anything to do with getting in a car. With the cat, this tends to involve fluids and solids emerging from his body. I was pretty shocked when I realized the vet had put him on xanax. At a higher dosage than mine.

Dx 5/30/2011, IDC, 4cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 20, 2011 12:36AM Emaline wrote:

Tarry, my blood pressure going through the roof was the wake up call for me too. I had all these notions about "being real, being strong, blah blah blah"  then one of the nurses I work with (and who I vent to) took my blood pressure and it wasn't good. It was 164 over 100.  I normally run at 112/65 in that range.  It went this way until AFTER my exchange surgery in September....when that was done at the end of September, boom, my BP was right down.  

Dx 4/4/2011, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+

Nov 20, 2011 03:07PM MelissaAnn wrote:

I've had GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) with panic since the birth of my first Child in 1995, I was only 16. I was so anxious about dying and leaving her. My biggest fears all these years has been Cancer.

Back in 1996 I was put on Paxil, then switched to Celexa, then Lexapro and back to generic celexa aka Citalopram. I also have a prescript for Xanax it's only 0.5mg and 10 pills a month. because the doctor says it causes addiction issues. I've been on 20mg of Citalopram and saw my doc because of anxiety, she uped the dose to 40mg but I noticed I had worsening urinary retention from Multiple Sclerosis on the higher dose. So I went back down to 20mg. When I saw my doctor again on Friday she added Buspirone HCL to the mix. 5mg twice a day. I don't know if its anxiety or a combo but My nights have been very sleepless. I lay in bed shaking and twitching and my heart feels like it's thumping out of my chest. My muscles feel tense and hot, I go from feeling freezing cold to hot. I can't stop thinking horrible thoughts. Like my life is about to end, my sadness for my husband and 3 young children.

This is absolutely pure HELL.I can't function and I pray that God just takes me because this is already unbearable. I can't find anything else it can be. It's not getting any better and it looks more raised and weltish than the rash I had on my other breast and saw the breast surgeon for in the beginning of September. That one looked more flat red and blotchy. It went away tho. I'm so stumped as why Im getting rashes on both breasts. Do I possibly have it in both breasts? Can rash come with other forms of breast cancer, not just IBC? Hope seems a little more possible with other forms of breastcancer, not IBC.

I've been downing Benadryl at night just to try and sleep, along with xanax, buspar, and baclofen. depending on which hour I wake up at shaking. I can't eat so I haven't been able to go #2 for several days. when Im in bed at night my stomach hurts, pops and gurgles.

I also have a slight ankle rash and read somewhere that it could be from breast cancer too!! I already have Multiple Sclerosis, I was diagnosed when I was 25. Im now 33. Is there anyone even out there that has MS and IBC??

My family needs all the prayers we can get. This is tearing us apart!

Nov 20, 2011 03:13PM kiley56 wrote:

Sending prayer for you and your family Mel.  Your know your anxiety could be also contributing to your skin rash.  You have everything to live for Mel.   I pray you find some comfort... Kiley

kiley

Nov 20, 2011 03:26PM jstunme wrote:

When I saw my doctor again on Friday she added Buspirone HCL to the mix. 5mg twice a day.)

I'm not a doctor .... but sounds like to me you COULD be having allergic reaction?

Please try to calm yourself and not jump to any conclusions about IBC.  My aunt had IBC and it did not look like that at all. Best to you. 

Nov 20, 2011 03:54PM, edited Dec 3, 2011 02:21PM by MelissaAnn

This Post was deleted by MelissaAnn.

Nov 21, 2011 06:27AM dogeyed wrote:

When you go see the breast surgeon and they do the biopsy, could be the results might be delayed a few days, but seeing that doc will do wonders for your nervousness, because she will have some idea of what the situation might be.  I might addd that since you have been experiencing hot/cold type feverish episodes, your thyroid and general endocrinological picture needs to be checked, ask your regular doc about it.  When the thyroid goofs up, it can do exactly what it's doing to you, as far as anxiety goes. 

I would also suggest you consider not taking benadryl, it makes the heart beat faster, and could be one of the causes of perhaps the rash you have.  See can you find a "natural" sleep aide, some teas do this, and just look around in the drugstore and see can you find something without antihistimine in it or the active ingredient in Bendryl.  Exercise during the daytime helps people sleep better, and extra water helps balance the temperature out in a person.

You could visit the local county health department or county psychology clinic, low-cost, and ask to speak to a psychologist there, tell her you're a nervous wreck, etc., and ask if they could perhaps give you some medicine for it, that your regular doc doesn't want to give you any more than 10 Xanax.  They can maybe prescribe you some Valium, that's good stuff, not as addicting as Xanax, either.  But Ativan I don't think you should try, it is rather addicting, in my own experience. 

IBC, IDC, Melanoma/ 5 mos ACT chemo, mastectomy, rads to 11/2011, Arimidex 1 mo, NED 9/2012, two+yr survivor 5/2013

Nov 23, 2011 04:02PM, edited Nov 23, 2011 06:04PM by SunnyInFLA

I hate to say this but it sounds like you may suffer from General Health Anxiety disorder. I too, have battled with this which I feel was mostly brought on by my lumpy fibrosystic breasts many year ago and fearing Doctors missed something. Medicaton did wonders for me back then. I took Zoloft and helped with the obessesions. 

I too know what you are going through. I have been there and I am there again now.

Nov 23, 2011 07:48PM, edited Nov 23, 2011 07:52PM by MelissaAnn

Yah I do suffer from GAD, I was diagnosed in 1996.

Here's a picture of my rash from today. It's not as spotty as when it first appeared and the color has faded a lot but it looks bigger! What are your thoughts? I have no other symptoms, The cancer breast surgeon told me she was 99.9% sure this is not IBC. She wouldnt do a biopsy and 

sent me to the dermatologist, I saw the dermatologist today and she said it is some sort of eczema, not breast cancer. She prescribed me Desonide cream. And said she wouldn't do a biopsy either.  Am i a hypocondriac too? Should I trust these two ladies, Who've said they've seen IBC rashes and symptoms and this is just not my case. I have literally begged these women to do a Biopsy and they wont!

I've spend over $200 bucks on Doctor copay's, medicine and cream. I just can't keep going to doctors.

What are your thoughts?

Nov 23, 2011 08:31PM SunnyInFLA wrote:

I honestly think you are letting your condition (GAD) get the best of you. I had been in and out of the ER ALOT back in the day in the height of my anxiety disorder. I was convinced I was going to die. It can be dibilitiating. . No matter what anyone tells you (in this case the two nurses) will convience you otherwise. To me your rash looks normal, I am not an expert here so I don't know. I think it is eczema. Can you be a hypochondriac like you said? Recognizing it is the first step to getting help. If you don't get help your life will spiral out of control. You will obess about everything and stress out to the max. 

Nov 23, 2011 08:34PM Faith316 wrote:

See what the new cream does for it.  It does not like my IBC rash did.

DX 4/08 IDC, ER-, PR-, HER2+, IIB, Grade 3,lumpectomy,2/8 nodes,4 AC,12 wks.Taxol,Herceptin,30 rads. DX IBC 6/09 while still in treatment. Now Stage III. 6 mo. of Xeloda done, still on Tykerb. Uni-mx & another node dissection 2/4/10.

Nov 23, 2011 09:08PM MelissaAnn wrote:

I guess I just noticed the change in rash , how it grew together in such a short time and after reading so many women say how they were misdiagnosed, how the doctors said it was an infection or rash. How they had no other symptoms but a rash. etc I guess Makes me second guess everything. I'll just shut up now. If I have it , and it spreads because nobody wants to take me serious. Then I die. Oh welllllllllllllllllllll

Nov 23, 2011 09:20PM SunnyInFLA wrote:

No, don't shut up. . From what I read lots of woman on here had multiple symptoms. You can take control of your health and demand they do a biopsy, not sure how you will pay for it if it was not ordered but you can get anything done pretty much. It is your body. But given your history of (GAD) you may do lots of expensive tests all in vain. Don't dismiss the experts, they are experts.. I know this is hard to do. I sent you a message on here plesae read it.

Nov 23, 2011 11:43PM mammalou wrote:

I think the dermatologist should do a biopsy!  It will set your mind at ease and that is worth A LOT!  Also, it won't hurt for the dermatologist to know what it actually is.  They can find out if it is eczema or some other benign skin condition.  There are a lot of them. I also had a red rash on my breast and all over differnet parts of my body.  Once they figured out what it actually was, they knew how to treat it.

Dx 1/11/2011, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIb, 1/9 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 24, 2011 12:19AM MelissaAnn wrote:

Begged both the breast surgeon and dermatologist to do a biopsy. Breast surgeon said no need, it's not that. Dermatologist said, no you'll get a scar, use this cream.

What else can I do besides trust in God???

Nov 24, 2011 12:28AM Faith316 wrote:

Give the cream a try for a few days,  If it is indeed eczema, then it should clear up.  If it still doesn't improve after a week or 10 days or so, go back to the dermatologist and demand a biopsy.  And ....... the trust in God thing?  Absolutely!

Nov 24, 2011 05:31AM, edited Nov 24, 2011 05:32AM by dogeyed

I agree with Faith about giving the eczema cream a good try, see if it reduces the rash.  If things don't improve, you can always get a "second opinion" from a different breast cancer doc, even if you have to travel a little ways, and that way you have TWO breast people who say you do not have cancer, plus the dermatologist.  That way you will be reassured.  My rash looked totally diff, and also even tho pictures I've seen look more connected as yours has become, it still doesn't look exactly right for IBC, the pimple-like affair sort of speaks to skin rash and not something underneath.  And again, an experienced breast cancer doc diagnoses IBC basically with clinical observation, so the biopsy, as another poster pointed out, is really not the end-all for-sure thing, rather the MRI, and even then it can be missed, thus the need for an expert to look at it.  You've had one plus the derm, so if the rash doesn't get better at least by SOME degree, then you can pull in a second opinion.  

Nov 24, 2011 01:56PM, edited Dec 3, 2011 02:21PM by MelissaAnn

This Post was deleted by MelissaAnn.

Page 1 of 3 (82 results)