We are 144,814 members in 73 forums discussing 114,655 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Living Without Reconstruction After a Mastectomy → Topic: Knit a tit!

Topic: Knit a tit!

Forum: Living Without Reconstruction After a Mastectomy — Discuss prostheses, swimsuits, bras, and other options for women not having reconstruction or waiting for reconstruction.

Posted on: Nov 13, 2008 11:53AM

abbadoodles wrote:

Hello, girls.  I just found this on a popular internet knitting site and thought it might not only give some of you a giggle but actually come in handy.  No kidding.

The pattern author, herself, lost a breast to cancer and look at what she did.  A very inexpensive prosthesis and great way to make a statement.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTbits.html

Tina

Posts 1 - 15 (15 total)

Nov 14, 2008 03:36PM lvtwoqlt wrote:

I saw that last year and I wish I could knit one for my mom.

Sheila

Women are like tea bags, we don't know how strong we are until we were thrown into hot water. Eleanore Roosevelt Diagnosed ADH Feb 2005, ADH Sept 2006

Dx 4/27/2007, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/7 nodesSurgery 02/12/2005 Lumpectomy (Left)Surgery 09/10/2006 Lumpectomy (Right)Hormonal Therapy 10/12/2006 TamoxifenSurgery 06/01/2007 Mastectomy (Both)

Nov 14, 2008 03:52PM Mandy1313 wrote:

What a great thing. I hope my knitting is up to it.  Smile

thanks. 

Dx 6/2008, IDC, 1cm, Grade 1, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 14, 2008 05:07PM terrolyn wrote:

In November 06 I had a single mastectomy, no reconstruction.  In April 07, I won my Ladies Golf Club Championship.  At the awards ceremony one of my friends presented me with a Knitty Titty.  In April 08, I took it out with me on the course for the tournament and won again.  At that awards ceremony, I brought the Knitty Titty up to the podium with me and told everyone it had been my inspiration.  After 3 bottles of champagne to celebrate my repeat victory, a bunch of us decided to send the Knitty Titty on a vacation during summer.  One friend took it to New York and Canada; one took it to China; I took it to Kansas City, MO and Lake Arrowhead, CA; one took it to Crater Lake, Ore.  We're getting our pictures together now and are going to post them in our lockerroom.  And, since the bane of all golfers is to three-putt a green, we now have a big container with the Knitty Titty on it and everytime any of us three putts a green, we put money in the jar, and we'll donate it at the end of the year to a Breast Cancer organization.  We've named it "The Knitty Titty Three Putt Fund".  In only THREE golf days, the ladies have dropped in over $175.  We play different golf games and pay out small sums of money, and everyone just donates their winnings, spare change, and bills.  It's been great.  

Nov 14, 2008 10:47PM KAK wrote:

OMG!!!   I am LMAO!   You girls are too much!  Tina, I'm definitely going to have to try knitting again.  I think the last thing I knitted was a scarf for a Barbie doll, but this might just motivate me enough to get the hang of knitting this time!

Kathi: lumpectomy 8/14/08, finished rads 10/6/08; started tamoxifen 10/27/08, stopped tamoxifen 9/23/09; feel much better now.

Dx 7/24/2008, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER+

Nov 17, 2008 08:59AM, edited Nov 17, 2008 09:02AM by abbadoodles

The Golf Tour story is so funny.  Reminds me of those people who steal garden gnomes and take them around the world, photographing them in distant locations.

Maybe you have some pictures you could post?

Any interest in a new group knitting project?  We could knit a bunch of Knitty Titties in various sizes and send them along to ladies in need.  Is this far-fetched?  I would be willing to knit a set, but I wouldn't be interested in coordinating/administering this project.  Any takers?

Tina

Nov 17, 2008 01:30PM purplemb wrote:

Tina.. I have mailed out many knitties... so its not so far fetched...I also have regular breast forms and other mast. needs for those in need...

anyone interested in knitting them may send them to me I  will gladly send them on...

Mary Beth...

PS I now use the new one piece titty.. its the greatest thing since sliced bread....lol..

hugs to all

www.pinkstock.webuda.com A website to find help

Nov 17, 2008 06:10PM PeggyDixon wrote:

My Mom is in her mid-seventies and with glee presented me with a matching pair of these last Easter!! She had an evil look in her eye as I admired the first one unwrapped. She was impatient for me to open the second one - and I knew why as soon as I looked at it. That one had a nipple ring attached!! By my Mom!!  But I do love those boobs - they are so comfortable and look good too. And not too many people can say that their boobs are in the laundry, but I can and it really cracks my friends up.

Peggy xxoxoxoxoxoxo

Peggy

Dx 1/19/2006, ILC, Stage IIIc, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 17, 2008 06:19PM cp418 wrote:

The title of this post threw me for a loop but the site is wonderful!!!!  Kiss

Nov 17, 2008 10:47PM Annabella58 wrote:

I am just on because of the wonderful title, tho I am a recon lady now.........I think this is the funniest and most empowering thing I have heard of yet....

The story about the mom who put the nipple ring in is just so wonderful.

This is the best ladies, I salute you!  I don't have a fipple on my foob yet, but after reading these posts, I'm going to go take an eyebrow pencil and make a turkey on it for my hubby.  And a christmas elf, or wreath, a bottle of champagne for new years.................

Thanks for the great laugh!!! made my day!

xoxo

Nov 18, 2008 12:40AM nagem wrote:

Hi Purplemb, How do you make a one-piece titty? 

nagem (underthestinkwoodtree.blogspot...)

Dx 9/23/2005, ILC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 1/13 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Nov 18, 2008 01:56AM ebann wrote:

Well ladies my mother crocheted me some foobs. She knew I was sad about losing my breasts and that I could not have reconstruction for a year. So my mother decided to surprise me one day with a set of foobs. She made them of a soft pink yarn and added glitter flower buttons as the nipples. I love them. They look good, feel good, and are colorful. She has added more to my collection. I especially like the hippie color ones with smiley faces as nipples. Then she made me some red ones with green hand buttons as the nipples. She is having a lot of fun with  them. Now we are coming up with another plan for them. Who knows what will be next. They make me feel extra good.

In God's Grace; Elizabeth

Elizabeth (EB Ann)

Dx 4/10/2008, IBC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 3/16 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Nov 18, 2008 06:48AM purplemb wrote:

lol.. I too have different ones... just love my biker babe one...lol...

enjoy.. MB

Nov 18, 2008 11:42AM, edited Nov 18, 2008 11:44AM by otter

If you have not checked out the link Tina provided in her first post for this thread, please do.  It is hilarious!

I once knew how to knit.  Well, okay, I once knitted a scarf.  Then I forgot how.  (It's not like riding a bicycle.)  Maybe I need to learn again--this sounds like a lot of fun, for a good cause.

purplemb, does this knitted titty end up kind of like the bath poofy ones (except not waterproof)?  I bought a flesh-colored bath poofy the other day, but I still can't figure out how to roll and tie it to make a swim prosthesis. 

otter 

Dx IDC, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 19, 2008 09:50AM abbadoodles wrote:

purplemb, I will knit some and send them to you.  I'll PM you about it when I have them finished.

In the meantime, what do you suggest for sizes?  The knitty pattern lists them by cup size.  Also, best materials?  I'm thinking washable soft wool.  I refuse to use acrylic.  And, should we make them by pairs or are singles okay?

Tina

Nov 19, 2008 06:06PM purplemb wrote:

Tina... singles are ok... usually the sizes are C's & D's but what ever.. Tina I've been using soft  baby yarn.. My biker ne is tougher..lol.. the wool I'd be careful with, my bother some people, just my thought

Otter.. PM me, I can make it for you .. a few minutes and back in the mail...

hugs MB