We are 144,850 members in 73 forums discussing 114,686 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: The "posterior depth" of the breast?

Topic: The "posterior depth" of the breast?

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried — Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time.

Posted on: Jan 6, 2008 09:59PM, edited Jan 6, 2008 10:03PM by anna975

anna975 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I just checked my mammogram report again. My suspicious calcifications are located in the "posterior depth" of the upper outer quadrant. I have scheduled for biopsy.

Is the "posterior depth" of the breast normally the position of "lubules"? I thought about DCIS when knowing about the calcifications. However, I have a second thought now. My problem should be in the "lobules" rather than the "Duct" since it is in the "posterior depth", is that right?

I am so confused and scared. Please, can somebody give me a better understanding about the position of my problem? Thank you very much!

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Jan 7, 2008 12:13AM iodine wrote:

Hi, please take a deep breath and let it out slowly.  You can get a good picture of the breast by going to the tabs at the top of the page and clicking on "diagnosis and treatment", then go to lobular cancer insitu.  The anatomy may help you visualize better.It seems to me that the lobules are all connected to the ducts.  See what you think.

You might also copy us the exact wording of the path report.

Glad you are getting the biopsy done and will get a better handle on your diagnosis. 

We will be pulling for B9!

Dotti---BE NOT AFRAID, Pope John Paul

Jan 7, 2008 08:00AM hopefor30 wrote:

I don't think location matters -- I had DCIS and it extended into the lobules, but no LCIS -- they just need to know where to look --

M.

Jan 7, 2008 02:20PM, edited Jan 7, 2008 02:25PM by leaf

I agree with the above. Posterior is describing the location of the suspicious calcifications in your breast. From what I understand, posterior means towards the back, in other words, the part of the breast that is closest to your rib cage.

I have LCIS (lobular carcinoma in situ.) I was amazed to find out at my last biopsy that you can indeed have lobules right underneath the nipple. (They are, of course, attached to ducts, which go into the nipple.) So you can/do have lobules and ducts all over your breast.

The ducts can twist around, so they look like a shrub brush. The ducts do not connect with each other, but in a microscope slice, it is possible to see more than one cross section of a single duct because they can make multiple U turns.

So you can have ducts and lobules in almost every part of the breast. (I don't think you can have lobules actually in the nipple though.)

I had suspicious calcifications, and had LCIS and nothing worse. Don't expect that though, as its unusual.

If you're going through hell, keep going-Winston Churchill

Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR-Hormonal Therapy 07/15/2006 Tamoxifen

Jan 8, 2008 12:45PM anna975 wrote:

Thank you all for the input.  

When I saw the anatomy, I thought that the anterior position is the place where most of the ducts located and the posterior position is the place where most of the lobular located. I must be wrong since according to Leaf's post the ducts and lobules can be in every part of the breast.  

I am crazy now, I know. I will try to calm down. Thanks again.

Jan 8, 2008 01:42PM, edited Jan 8, 2008 03:25PM by leaf

Remember, ducts and lobules are TINY. They can't draw them at their real size in diagrams. Ducts are about 1-2 mm in diameter. If you have DCIS, the DCIS has to fit within this diameter! (Remember there are about 25 millimeters to an inch.) So to draw a duct, they have to put the lobules farther away from the nipple.

I asked my breast surgeon if there are lobules just under the nipple. She looked at me like I was crazy - of course there are! Well, you're certainly not the first person to be confused- I sure was!

You are NOT NOT NOT crazy. You are probably anxious and nervous. I know I was. I was crying at work and at home and in the car.

Some women find distraction helps. For some, meditation, biofeedback, etc helps.

Thinking of you! Let us know how it goes.

If you're going through hell, keep going-Winston Churchill

Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR-Hormonal Therapy 07/15/2006 Tamoxifen

Jan 8, 2008 02:17PM anna975 wrote:

Thank you again, Leaf.

It's so nice to find this place and meet all you ladies here. Thank you very much.