We are 145,005 members in 73 forums discussing 114,830 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: Called back after screening mammogram

Topic: Called back after screening mammogram

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried — Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time.

Posted on: Apr 14, 2009 11:10AM, edited Apr 14, 2009 11:12AM by Chirp

Chirp wrote:

There I was .....minding my own business.... when I made an appointment for a regular old GYN checkup after getting a few of thoise nice reminder post cards that I was overdue. She ordered a mammogram, as I was overdue for that, too.  

I am 52 years old, and has a routine screening mammogram on April 7th. Easy peezy.  

I have no lumps or problems, and never gave the routine mammogram another thought.  Until they called me yesterday. I have to go back for spot compression views and an ultrasound of my right breast due to findings of "a new, partially obscured nodular density measuring approximately 7 mm .... in the upper outer quadrant of the right breast".  This was a change from the digital mammogram I had in June 2006 at the same medical center.  I can't feel anything in that area, and beleive you me I started hunting as soon as I hung up the phone, right in my office at work!

Now I know that it is way too soon to worry. I know that 7 mm is very tiny. I know that  it is entirely possible that closer views will not see anything nefarious. I know all that. I know that even if I end up having a biopsy  that 80% of the time it is benign.  

I know the facts with my intellect, but to my emotions it is simply a flip of the coin, and I vaccilate between seeing heads or tails.

My paternal grandmother died of breast cancer.  It had already spread to her bones before diagnosis. My maternal grandmother also died of cancer. Primary unknown, they decided to take out her gall bladder and opened her up to find cancer seeded throughout the abdomen. She was gone in a matter of weeks.

So naturally, if I'm going to indulge in "what if ..." worries, I may as well go for the full fear factor, LOL.  Of course going so far as to post on a public message board means that nothing will be wrong. Right?

I have to say how nice it is to see a forum for Not Diagnosed but Worried.  Perfect! Thank you!

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Apr 14, 2009 11:17AM lvtwoqlt wrote:

I so understand the worries when you get the call to come back in for more views, especially with your family history. I had several call backs before my dx of bc. All I can say to you is just take a few deep breaths and try not to dwell on the 'what if' until you find out what is going on.

Sheila

Women are like tea bags, we don't know how strong we are until we were thrown into hot water. Eleanore Roosevelt Diagnosed ADH Feb 2005, ADH Sept 2006

Dx 4/27/2007, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/7 nodesSurgery 02/12/2005 Lumpectomy (Left)Surgery 09/10/2006 Lumpectomy (Right)Hormonal Therapy 10/12/2006 TamoxifenSurgery 06/01/2007 Mastectomy (Both)

Apr 14, 2009 11:35AM JO-5 wrote:

Chirp,

I was called back for a second mammogram just this year - in my fifth year and I understand your fear.... and that is what it is...... no matter what we call it and rightly so. Cancer is scary.

My call back turned out to be a batch of bad film. It is easy to say - don't worry and if truth be told most of us cannot do that.

The thing is ---- if this lump is cancer it is very small. There are sooo many more treatments today and they do things so differently than when your grandmothers had cancer. Breast cancer is not a walk in the park --- but neither is it a death sentence.

So - don't put off getting that second mammo. or maybe an ultrasound. (If this turns out to be just an awful scare and is nothing ----- GET A YEARLY DIGITAL MAMMOGRAM from now on.

If you would care to --- there are a bunch of us ladies your age on the Older Women with Breast Cancer forum. Lots of support and wisdom there.

God bless!

JO

dx.04 IDC, tumor 1.4 cm, stage 1, grade 3, lumpectomy w/clear margins, 0/16 nodes, ER+/ PR+ over 90%, HER2 negative, 35 rads w/3 boosts, Arimidex 5 yrs.

Apr 14, 2009 03:39PM candie1971 wrote:

Worrying is so stressful isn't it? Hoping for b9 for you. You will be in my prayers.

Hugs and prayers,

Candie

Good friends are like stars....you don't always see them but you know they are always there.

Dx 5/26/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 14, 2009 06:52PM Fergy wrote:

Chirp,

I am 52 also.  I went for my mammograms pretty regularly.  In Feb 2006 they did my mammogram and said that they needed to do an Ultrasound, which was done at the same appointment.  A month later (March 2006) I got a call from my doctor saying they now needed a compression test so I went back for that.  A few weeks later I got a letter in the mail saying the findings were "probably benign". 

My life got real busy and I didn't go for my annual check up until September 2008 and that is when my GP told me I was suppose to go back in 6 months after the March 2006 compression test.  So I went for the mammogram in September 2008 and they told me to come back in 6 months.

I went back to my GP in February and he ordered the follow up mammogram March 2, 2009.  One week later he called me to tell me he wanted me to see a surgeon.  On March 25th I had a biopsy.  The results were unclear so I am seeing another surgeon this Friday for a second opinion.  There is a question as to whether they got the right area.  

My point of all this is, the more I get these call backs for "additional tests" that show up benign the less concerned I get when I get called back.  I am not nervous or anxious about the appointment on Friday I just want some clarification.  If he agrees I should wait for 6 months to follow up then I will be OK with it.  If he thinks I should have further testing then I am OK with that too.  

Reading all the posts on this discussion board made me realize that whatever it is, you just need to take care of it.  This is the greatest support system I have ever had with anything and we don't even know each other.  It is amazing to me and I am grateful for everyone that shares on this discussion board.

I almost did not come to this website because I thought it was only for women with a cancer diagnosis.  I too was grateful too see the Not Diagnosed but Worried which made me feel welcome.

Fergy

Apr 15, 2009 10:37AM Chirp wrote:

There are so many nice ladies here, And I really appreciate the understanding. Thank you so much.

Fortunately, the Women's Diagnostic Center I am using has had digital mammography for a number of years now. So this last one, and the prior one used for comparison were both digital. They even have all the old analog films from years ago. I brought them with me when we moved to the area.

And when they called me on Monday to arrange for additional studies, they were very open about the findings and faxed the report to me as soon as I asked for it. No dithering around about having to get the information from my GYN. I'm hoping that means I will get some immediate feedback when I go for the spot compressions and ultrasound. Expecially since it is scheduled for a Friday morning. I don't want to spend the following weekend in suspense, yanno?

Apr 24, 2009 05:26PM Chirp wrote:

Good news!

I'm relieved to report that when I went back today for my appointment, the spot compression mammogram revealed there is nothing there! Must have been some kind of shadow or wrinkle on the screening mammogram. I didn't even have to have the ultrasound that was scheduled. Whew! 

You all have been wonderful, and I really appreciate the support during the horrible waiting period. I hope other ladies in the same situation take comfort in my results. 

Hugs to you all, 

Chirp

Apr 24, 2009 05:54PM momo3esb wrote:

Excellent news!  

Have a wonderful weekend!

kelly 

Apr 25, 2009 06:24AM Beesie wrote:

That's great news!  I love to hear it when someone doesn't even need a biopsy, when the 2nd set of films are clear enough to know that there is no problem.  That's the best result of all!

Dx 9/15/05, DCIS-MI, 6cm+ Gr3 DCIS w/IDC microinvasion, Stage I, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- “No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke