We are 144,865 members in 73 forums discussing 114,692 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: 24 and a little worried...

Topic: 24 and a little worried...

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried — Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time.

Posted on: Aug 4, 2009 12:46AM

JillianA wrote:

So a little about me. I have no family history of breast cancer. About 3 weeks ago I found a lump in the outside middle area of my right breast. It's about the size of a small peanut and it is movable, feels soft and oval. Not very hard and it doesnt really hurt. It sometimes feels tender but I think it's just from me messing with it. This was found about 1 week before my period. I sched an apt 2 days later to see my dr. She examined my breast first and didn't feel anything. She asked me to point out this lump to her and she then felt it. She told me I needed to get an ultrasound done and if that didn't show anything then I'd need a mammogram. She said that my age, the fact that the lump was movable, and I didn't have any nipple discharge that those were all good signs. I got my ultrasound and the tech couldn't find anything. She went and got the radiologist and he asked where the lump was and he felt it but couldn't see anything. They then did a mammogram and the tech(a different one) and radiologist didn't see anything. They showed me my images and they looked just like the example picture of healthy breast tissue they had on the wall. She pointed to this tiny white area and said this is what they think I'm feeling and they both think it's fat. The radiologist told me that only about 10% of lumps that don't show up on ultrasounds and mammograms end up to be cancerous. I felt pretty good about those odds. I had my period and 2 weeks went by and my lump started to become harder to find then I didnt feel it at all. Today I got a call for my referral to see a surgeon to get a 2nd opinion on the 25th even though I told them I dont feel it anymore. well being the paranoid person I did another self exam and now when I am when I feel my breast it's there again but it doesn't feel as big as it did before. I'm so scared. I have a 15 month old and I really want to see her grow up.

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Aug 4, 2009 12:57AM JillianA wrote:

Oh I forgot to ask if anyone has exerienced anything similar to this?

Aug 4, 2009 09:11PM, edited Aug 4, 2009 09:12PM by marshmellow

I had/have a similar situation....have seen numerous doctors...breast surgeon...2 ultrasounds...both which just show denser tissue...and I have numerous cysts (that I can't even feel) in other locations. I definitely have a bit of a fluctuation with my cycles as well - which I am told is a very good sign!

I am 29.