We are 144,998 members in 73 forums discussing 114,816 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: Blood on Bra after Mammogram

Topic: Blood on Bra after Mammogram

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried — Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time.

Posted on: Nov 14, 2009 07:13AM

susanslp wrote:

Has anyone else had some bleeding after a mammogram?  I went yesterday and the radiologist was able to read the films right away. The results were fine.  I was very pleased because I usually get called back for extra views, or am told to come back for a six-month follow-up.  However, later in the day I found a brown mark inside the right cup of my bra.  It wasn't exactly where the nipple is, which confused me, but it did look like old blood.  It's never happened before.  The nipple looked fine (no blood) and there's been no further bleeding so far.  (I wore a bra all night just to catch anything.)  I just had a breast exam last week at my annual physical; I have dense fibrocystic breasts but  no new lumps.  I'm going to call the doctor on Monday but in the meantime does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks. 

Posts 1 - 10 (10 total)

Nov 14, 2009 07:31AM barbe1958 wrote:

When I took my bra off the day of my mammogram last year, I had blood on my nipple! Then during the mammogram I bled all over the plate. The tech said "don't be worried, but be concerned." Turns out the bloody nipple had nothing to do with my cancer! It just acted as a wake-up call.....

Good luck for a continued clean bill of health.

Religion is for people who are afraid of hell, spirituality is for people who have already been there. (Lakota Nation)

Dx 12/10/2008

Nov 14, 2009 07:59AM cs34 wrote:

remember everyone is different but my experience was that a bloody bra saved my life. but my blood was constant, not from a mammo. i certainly don't mean to scare you but i would watch it like a hawk and wear a white or tan bra.  i just couldn't not answer something that said bloody bra. 

wishing you the best! Smile 

DMX-immediate latt flap, chemo, radiation, ooph

Dx 1/2/2009, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIb, Grade 2, 3/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 14, 2009 08:03AM Fitztwins wrote:

Not to sound graphic, when you squeeze you nipples does blood come out? You might want to ask for an u/s or MRI to be extra safe.

Enjoy Every Sandwich.

Dx 12/12/2004, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+Surgery 01/19/2005 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left); Reconstruction: TRAM flap (Left)Chemotherapy 02/01/2005 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolRadiation Therapy 05/01/2005 ExternalTargeted Therapy 06/01/2005 HerceptinHormonal Therapy 01/01/2006 FemaraHormonal Therapy 06/02/2008 AromasinTargeted Therapy 07/01/2008 HerceptinTargeted Therapy 05/05/2010 TykerbHormonal Therapy 08/02/2012 TamoxifenHormonal Therapy 06/15/2013 Arimidex

Nov 14, 2009 09:49AM pk0199 wrote:

You actually might want to ask for a galactogram, it is a test for the milk ducts. It might be easier to get than an MRI.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Dx 9/23/2008, DCIS

Nov 14, 2009 09:52AM barbe1958 wrote:

If it is spontaneous and comes without pressure, there is a bit more concern. If it comes only with pressure, it could be a papilloma or blocked duct. I think ANY discharge should be looked into!

Religion is for people who are afraid of hell, spirituality is for people who have already been there. (Lakota Nation)

Dx 12/10/2008

Nov 15, 2009 11:37AM AsiaYM wrote:

I would find a breast clinic to have a look at it, just to be sure it's nothing.  Hugs,

Diagnosis: 6/2009, stage IIIa,IDC,TAC

Nov 16, 2009 06:26PM susanslp wrote:

Thanks very much to all who left messages.  My doctor finally got back to me.  She told me that mammograms can be very traumatic to breast tissue (duh!) and that on occasion they can cause discharge with or without bleeding.  I'd never heard of this.  As barbe1958 pointed out, apparently it's much more worrisome to have spontaneous discharge, which sometimes is caused by a cancer.  (by the way,she said not to squeeze your nipples in a case like this as you're just traumatizing them more.)  Given the good mammogram and my very recent breast exam, she just wants me to keep wearing white bras so I can keep an eye out for additional discharge.  This is a doc who's the first person to order additional tests for every little thing, so the fact that she's comfortable with a watchful waiting approach is reassuring.  I know this is going to make me paranoid, particulary because I've had problems (non-cancer, thankfully) in the past but I guess this is the best result possible.  Thank you all again.  This is a great site with tons of support and good information.  I found it three years ago when I had a (benign) lump and breast pain and sometimes come back to look at nutrition/prevention information.   

Nov 16, 2009 07:58PM barbe1958 wrote:

Susan, that's great news! You must be on cloud B9...thanks for letting us know.

Dx 12/10/2008

Nov 16, 2009 10:55PM lifegoeson wrote:

I'm so glad it turned out well!  I also found my cancer because of spots of blood in my bra. 

Dx 1/29/2009, DCIS, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-

Nov 16, 2009 11:26PM CrunchyPoodleMama wrote:

Glad it turned out to be nothing! A pinpoint drop of blood in my bra (nearly daily -- not just once after a mammogram) was one of my symptoms, and when I obsessively researched it, I kept reading that 90% of instances of nipple discharge were benign. I'm sure having it happen just once or twice after "breast trauma" is not uncommon.

(Hmm, I just realized, I haven't had the pinpoint droplet appearing on my bra a single time since I had my core biopsy. That's weird...?!)

Julia ~ Dear friends, do what you can to help your body fight/prevent cancer. 1. Supplement with iodine and vitamin D. 2. STOP taking hormonal birth control/HRT. 3. Eat organic real food, not chemical or fake food.

Dx 11/13/2009, DCIS, 4cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+