We are 144,950 members in 73 forums discussing 114,778 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: Calcium deposits - calcifications

Topic: Calcium deposits - calcifications

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried — Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time.

Posted on: Jun 8, 2010 12:23PM

Maggie63 wrote:

Hi

Does anyone know about calcium deposits/calcifications?   How do you know when they are cancerous?  Are they one and the same? 

I had a lumpectomy on right breast in July 2008.  Went through chemo, radiation and am taking Femara since December '08.   

I just had my yearly mammo done the other day, and I was sent in for a few more pictures to be taken.  The Radiology doctor showed me on the computer screen some calcium deposits that are very tiny and she said when they are tiny like that, they could be cancer.  Instead of going back in one year for a mammo, she said I should have my next mammo in 6 months.

Has anyone ever had this experience???  Needless to say, I am nervous that they are cancerous, especially that this is all in the same breast where I had the cancerous tumor.

Thank you ladies

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Jun 8, 2010 12:39PM Laurie08 wrote:

From what I understand it is common for women to have calcification's in the breast.  When 5 or more calcification's are found in a small are (I believe 1 cm?)  it can be an indication that there is something else going on there.  It could be an infection or many other things, including cancer.  This is how my cancer was diagnosed.  I am diagnosed at stage 0 DCIS.  Think positive thoughts as much as you can.  Good luck! 

Bilateral Mastectomy on 6/30/10 Exchange surgery 1/10/11

Dx 4/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Jun 8, 2010 02:29PM Maggie63 wrote:

Thank you Laurie!!!   I'm trying not to dwell on it, but I'm sure you know that's not too easy to do - but I will try to think positive thoughts. 

Have a great day!!!   Good luck to you also

Maggie63

Dx 6/10/2008, DCIS, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jun 8, 2010 04:46PM jdfnj2 wrote:

Maggie - I just sent you a private message with some info.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Jen

Jun 9, 2010 01:18PM corrinnalynn wrote:

Hi Maggie.I also was told I had possible calcification as well as a cluster of cysts in my left breast...I am scheduled for a biopsy on the 22nd of this month.I will pray you will be fine,as well as myself.

Corrinnalynn

Jun 9, 2010 01:48PM vmudrow wrote:

Good luck with your biopsies, my calcifications came back as atypical lobular hyperplasia - pre-cancerous.  Praying for you,  hugs, Valerie

valerie, Diagnoised 1/24/2010 with atypical lobular hyperplasia, prophylactic NSM on 5/6/10, strong family history, 40% risk of breast cancer

Surgery 02/01/1992 Lumpectomy (Left)Surgery 03/01/1996 Lumpectomy (Left)Surgery 05/06/2000 Lumpectomy (Right)Surgery 01/23/2010 Lumpectomy (Right)Surgery 05/06/2010 Prophylactic Mastectomy (Both)

Jun 9, 2010 06:00PM Maggie63 wrote:

Good luck Corrinnalynn,

I pray your biopsy will come back negative.  Keep us posted!  Good luck!

Maggie63

Dx 6/10/2008, DCIS, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jun 10, 2010 04:36PM lafl333 wrote:

Hi this month has been a roller coster ride 2 radiologist told me to get a surgeon and oncologist from the same hospital here on Long Island..had stero Bx mammos and sonos...anyway it looks like ADH atypical ducyal hyperplasia and adenosis it mimics Cancer. Going June 14th for another sono guided Bx. had 6 sites already. Im a wreck im a wreck 57 in Sept. Hugh family history of Cancer . I pray for you all will be ok. They have great treatments. Please stay on the site the women here are wonderful. Every Dx and story is here. Try really hard to stay calm..ha i know what a joke that is..i had multiple pleomorphic calcifications and noduels..im in a very good Dr. care...im praying for you. Keep us posted love linda

Jun 10, 2010 04:59PM Beanius wrote:

I recently had two areas of calcification identified in my left breast (the "healthy" breast) on a mamogram. I had both sites biopsied and both had ADH which is not cancer. I had lumpectomies to remove both suspicious sites and my results came back with extensive ADH, but no cancer. I understand this is a high risk situation so I'm going for mammos every six months and at least annual MRI. I was told that these could develop into cancer. For myself I'm going to do high risk screening for now. I'm 52 1/2. I will also be researching more about what will give me my best chances from here. Some docs have told me I can just do high risk screening, others say I should have BMX. I've decided I need more information before I can be comfortable with doing anything from here. So I'm researching every day to get the info I feel I need. I wish you the very best. Keep us posted...Your pal, Beanie

"Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin." ~Mother Teresa