We are 144,985 members in 73 forums discussing 114,798 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: Complex cysts,biopsies, solid mass, bloody cyst fluid..HELP!

Topic: Complex cysts,biopsies, solid mass, bloody cyst fluid..HELP!

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried — Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time.

Posted on: Mar 15, 2011 07:30AM

AngelaB76 wrote:

Hello, I am brand new here. I decided to join this forum because I'm tired of scouring the Internet for info & this looks to be a wonderful network of caring women with a lot of information based upon experiences!

(Please bare with my long post...)

So, having said that, I would like to present my story thus far and would love ANY input you may have from similar experience or just knowledge based..

Two weeks ago I went to my gyno for a lump I could feel in my left breast, at about the 12oclock position almost under my nipple but slightly higher up. felt like the size of a grape.

I was scheduled for a mamo and ultrasound last Wed.

There, they found three complex cysts. The largest having irregular shape & thickening of the walls and echos within. there was also a small cluster of mass in the bottom left side of one cyst.

Today, I went for three needle aspirated biopsies. The first cyst collapsed but when she held up the syringe, there was clearly bright red blood swirling through the cyst fluid.

When she placed a needle to the 2nd cyst, I could still feel it (not numbed!). after several ladicane injections, I still felt the needle when it hit this "cyst" Ended up it did not have fluid at all and felt/looked like a solid mass. She did a 2nd biopsy, (forget at the moment what it was called but it had a bigger needle a distinct ka-chink sound and reminded me of an ear piercing gun.. yikes! )

she took 6-7 samples and really blasted the cyst to a pulp while doing so. later, she then placed a tiny titanium clip in its place to mark the area..

The last cyst was the original one I felt, prompting my visit to the gyno. when she inserted a needle into it, it mostly collapsed but the fluid drawn was also bloody and looked to me like a orange, reddish opaque fluid.. almost like tomato soup. This was the one first mentioned with the irregularities. She said she would have to send this one off to be tested as well..

So..... anybody having read this, what is your opinion on the bloody fluid and solid mass?? I am feeling fairly certain that the scales are tipped more in the direction of possible cancer ... than not.

A bit about me..I am a 34 white female with two children. I breastfed both exclusively for about 18-22 months. and have not bf for about 3 years. I have a Mirena IUD.

I did have a leep done for precancerous cells on my cervix about 11 years ago.. I was somewhat overweight for the past 8 or 9 years weighing around 170 - 192 at my heaviest. I've lost around 70lbs over the past year and weigh in around 134 which I've maintained since about last July. 

I am self employed and do have constant and moderate stress...sometimes a lot of stress with my job. I work loooong hours into the night and have developed the bad habit of getting 3- 4 or 5 hours of sleep at night. I also drink A LOT of diet mtn dew & coffee... I tell you all of this not to be judged (..lol..) but to help understand my lifestyle and possible contributing factors for these breast issues.

I would really, truly love some input. I have spent countless hours learning terms, diagnosis, reading case studies and trying to find similar documentation with what I have happening.

Of course EVERYTHING I read states that if blood is found in the cyst fluid or the cyst is a solid mass, they need to be further tested for cancer.. I am obviously worried but just don't know what to think.. It will be a few days before results are back.

wow...that is a lot of information!! If anyone actually got down here and is still reading, God Bless You!!!

I am going crazy waiting for results - not to mention in a lot of discomfort from today's biopsy needle-fest..

THANK YOU so much for any input!  

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Mar 15, 2011 04:49PM Shrek4 wrote:

I researched it too, and I found that blood in the cyst is not always 100% cancer.

I thought of posting a thread on another forum I found, with a lady who had a bloody cyst too that proved to be benign, so that it might help you with the anxiety.

I've been there and I know how it is.

Click HERE for that link. 

Mar 15, 2011 06:26PM marie5890 wrote:

Hi ladies,

Best advice? Wait for the actual scientific results of the biopsy and try not to jump to any conclusions.

Most biopsies come back B9. 80% in fact.

DO NOT READ ANYTHING INTO THE TECH'S EXPRESSION OR WHAT THE TECH SAYS. Jan '11 Biopsy Dx-ed a PASH tumor (rare, but benign tumor)....All I ask is for peace and serenity to the depths of my soul. Makes the rest of life more live-able.

Apr 28, 2011 07:30PM Cheryl1884 wrote:

Hi Angela,

On April 6, I had a Mammo and Ultrasound due to a mass in my right breast.  My oncologist said the Mammo reading came back as highly suspicious for cancer, Bi-Rad 4C.  So just yesterday, I had an ultrasound guided core needle biopsy.  The needle is larger and  definitely has a distinct ka-ching sound, as  you described.    When the Doctor inserted the needle into the lump, it collapsed and she used a syringe to remove yellow fluid mixed with blood . The Doctor also took six samples of the lump to send to pathology.  The fluid from the lump will be sent to a cytopathologist for review.  She then placed a  titanium clip to mark the area of concern.  Just as Marie stated above, the Doctor also said not all bloody cysts are cancerous, but I would have to wait for the results of both tests; hopefully, during the first week of May.  I agree, waiting for the results is nerve wracking.  But knowing others are here on this site supporting you helps tremendously.

Blessing and Hug,

Jan 12, 2012 01:32PM elowe wrote:

I am 45  and my mom had a breast cancer diagnosis when she was in her late 40's. I recently had two cysts drained, One was right behind the areola and the other toward the back wall of the right breast. That second one was smaller and classified as suspicious when drained. It was sent to the lab. It looked kinda like tomato soup. I am so stressed out about this i can't stand it. When this happened to my mother, she had a lump removed and then straight in to have her right breast removed. She passed away at the age of 56. I feel like I am following in her foot steps.The constant waiting is unbearable. Its nice to know that i am not alone, but I think I need a support sytem in my area. Dont even know where to start.

Jun 30, 2012 04:48PM cantgetanswers wrote:

angela.... i had the same thing done to me, mine was bloody andthe ka- ching thingy hurt soooo much, the doctor had to stop to put more linacaine in it. now im waiting for results... my cyst was attached under my nipple to the chest, he was like he was ripping my nipple off....he called me later that day to say he was sorry and asked how i was doin....i researched fluid in cyst, if its clear its normal, but bloody is not....its suspicious....

Mar 25, 2013 10:08PM Dee- wrote:

she never came back to report any of it so I guess it was all ok..  

xoxoxoxoLoving and Supporting Marie Claire xoxoxo