We are 144,991 members in 73 forums discussing 114,807 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: Question about a tender spot in breast, No lumps.

Topic: Question about a tender spot in breast, No lumps.

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried — Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time.

Posted on: Apr 29, 2011 03:48PM

kehjj04 wrote:

Hi there.  My name is Erin.  Im 26.  I have 3 small children and one on the way.  Im 25 weeks pregnant. 

In October i had a clean mammo of both breasts (i had a "lump" that wouldent show up on US or mammo, turned out to be a rib bone!)  I got pregnant the next month. I have very lumpy breasts (as my breast surgeon as told me over and over :) and have a few cysts that i have had ultrasounds on in the past.  For the past 2 months i have had this spot on the side of my breast, closest to my arm, that is tender ONLY if i push on it.  I bought a bigger bra, stopped sleeping on that side and stopped carrying my 2 year old on that side and it has not helped at all.  Today i saw a Dr (ob) that i do not care for.  He is always very rushed and kinda rude.  He did a very throrugh breast exam on both sides and felt around extensively in the area that feels "bruised"  he said he did not feel any thing at all (i dont either, there is no lump just pain)  he said that if he felt something that he would order an ultrasound but becasue he doesnt feel anything, hes not going to.  This kinda disappointed me.  I caught my favorite OB as i was leaving in the hallway and she said that next month if its still there she will order a US for my peace of mind.

what do yall think i should do?  Does anyone have any opinions of what this could be?  I have ALOT of anxiety when it comes to my breasts and im just looking for some help :)

Page 1 of 2 (35 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (35 total)

Apr 29, 2011 09:28PM kehjj04 wrote:

anyone :(

Blessed to have all B9 results in the past. Praying for all B9 findings in the future.

Apr 29, 2011 09:31PM Emaline wrote:

Well at 25 weeks pregnant, I would imagine your breast are probably growing and getting ready to produce milk.  You have a lot of hormones in your body at this point, you are growing, so I think it is normal to feel sore.  Does cancer run in your family?

Dx 4/4/2011, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+

Apr 29, 2011 09:50PM kehjj04 wrote:

My fathers mother had breast cancer after menopause.  She had a lumpectomy and chemo.  I was really young i just remember taking her for her treatments. 

This is what my dr said.  about the pregnancy and everything.  But im one of those like....lets make sure theres nothing there, over a lets wait and see.  This dr was very like, lets wait until you deliver since i dont feel a lump.  But i also breastfeed for at least a year too.....Im just scared.  Ive been looking for any kind of info on spots that are tender only when pushed with no palpable lump and im really coming up empy handed.  That area has what the dr called "fibrocystic changes" so maybe there is just a cyst that is causing the pain.  idk :(

Blessed to have all B9 results in the past. Praying for all B9 findings in the future.

Apr 29, 2011 10:02PM Emaline wrote:

I'm so new to this, so I am probably not the best person to reassure you, but from what I've read, usually pain is not a symptom. If you google it, you will see many articles discussing that usually breast cancer does not cause any pain.  I never had any pain, other then normal monthly changes and they were always around the time of my period and very normal.  I also, when pregnant and had very sore breast. I remember the first trimester telling my husband that if he touched that area, I might just shoot himTongue out  Then it came back again once I hit my 3rd trimester.

You are allowed to be scared.  Cancer is scary crap and it really sucks.  Are you producing colostrum yet? Is it possible it is a blocked duct?

Also remember the more you poke and prod at it, the more it is going to hurt.  I learned that the hard way.  Try to take a week or so away away from poking and prodding and see how you feel.

I'm sorry you are so scared.

Dx 4/4/2011, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+

Apr 29, 2011 10:07PM kehjj04 wrote:

its hard not to be scared :(  I have 3 little babies that depend on me so much.  Its just me them and my husband and i dont really have any family or friends that i can talk to about this.  I feel wrong coming here because i am whining about my problems when you all HAVE the dreaded C word but i dont know where else to turn and keeping this bottled up is eating me alive.

Apr 30, 2011 06:50AM kehjj04 wrote:

does anyone else have any insight or advice?

May 2, 2011 08:23AM kehjj04 wrote:

just wondering if anyone has any advice this morning for me.  Thanks :)

May 2, 2011 08:51AM, edited May 2, 2011 08:55AM by mtks

Hi Erin!

I don't want to scare you but everybody has their story..and reading their experiences is what educates us and we have to keep in mind that even though most of us here have bc, there are diff. cancers. I think there are 4 diff. breast cancers.?

My cancer is Invasive Lobular Carcinoma. It was pain that brought me to this disease. I had fibrcystic breast so I had lumpy breast. Due to the random pain in one specific area( at 10 o'clock) I wanted to rule it out and have the small, hard pea size lump removed. The surgeon said he could aspirate the area but I knew something wasn't right- It was the tissue that came out with the benign lump that was ILC.

Again, I am not trying to scare you but I also know that we are all given the gift "our gut feeling",intuition- for me it's the spirit within us that guides us. Use it-it's a gift! Give yourself the peace of mind. I would really like to know what the diagnosis is because I too have started with pain(feels like a bad bruise) in my arm pit,and down and a area between my breast and collar bone. My onco dr. said if a lump forms, let him know. Well, ILC was never a lump, it was dense tissue. It grows and divides differently. Needless to say I am changing Onco. dr.

It is probably nothing but it does not do you any good to worry- so get it checked.

My prayer are with you! Hang in there, I am sure you are fine.Smile

May 2, 2011 09:03AM kehjj04 wrote:

The ob that i saw the other day said he felt nothing out of the ordinary so he didnt order an ultrasound (i had a baseline mammogram done on that breast the month before i got pregnant, 6 months ago) I talked to my favorite ob in the hallway and she says she will do an exam and order an ultrasound for me next month.  The thing about my gut instinct, is that i dont have one.  I have anxiety, so every thing feels wrong to me :(  Ive had 4 moles removed in the past 4 months because of gut feelings, after the derm said they were completely fine, and they were....Im absolutely going to follow thru with this because i dont think I can function if i dont.  Thank you for your response.  Thats the thing about these forums :)  Most of the people on here have breast cancer so most of the responses are kinda scarey.  I thank you and pray for you all.

May 2, 2011 09:04AM kehjj04 wrote:

and also, was your pain to the touch? or random shooting pains in the area?  Mine only hurts if i push on it.

May 2, 2011 09:09AM mtks wrote:

Under my arm pit and there are a few hot spots going down from there. It is these areas that are painful only when I push on them. It feels like a very bad bruise. The area between my breast and collar bone hurts on it's own and when you push on it. ???

May 2, 2011 09:14AM kehjj04 wrote:

how about your original pain? was it random or tender to the touch

May 2, 2011 09:38AM mtks wrote:

My original pain was tinges of pain-randomly.

Fibrocystic breast can have pain. Especially, certain foods and drinks with caffeine can

make them painful.

May 2, 2011 12:15PM kehjj04 wrote:

im sure thats what it is.  Fibrocystic changes AND being 25 weeks pregnant.  I feel so much pressure when it comes to being healthy.  Im a stay at home mom to 3 children.  It causes me so much anxiety.  I will be able to rest easy and have peace in my heart after the ultrasound, but its not even going to be ordered until the end of may, when i see my pro-active OB.  Thank you again.  Im only 26 years old and have no one really to talk to my fears about. 

May 3, 2011 08:16AM mtks wrote:

You just hang in there!!    Congratulatons on your pregnancy!!! Our bodies go thru changes when preparing for babies, and aches and pain come with that.Come here any time and talk.

We are all here for supportSmile

May 3, 2011 01:20PM kehjj04 wrote:

thank you :)

May 3, 2011 02:05PM JO-5 wrote:

kehjj04,

Just jumping in here to try to help you with that anxiety!  I had fibrocystic breast all my life... and they hurt like the dickens when I was pregnant. My doctor told me it was nothing to worry about and admonished me to "stop poking it." He was right.

True I did end up having breast cancer but not until I was 63 and then I believe it was because I stayed on HRT way too long!

My granddaughter just went through a similar experience as you. She is 31 and this has happened to her twice - once when she was pregnant. at 27... It was a cyst and went away after the birth of the baby. The latest scare -- she could feel a lump but it was not rock hard. The Dr. sent her for a mammogram just to alleviate her fears. It is a cyst again. He told her if it does not go away after her next period and if it hurts he will drain it. She is comfortable with waiting.

Usually a malignant lump is hard like a marble, whether it is very tiny or large.... not like a ball of putty, etc.( Mtks said her lump was hard and pea sized).  If your Dr. did a good exam as you said he did... and the mammogram (hopefully it was digital) and it sees nothing you are probably ok. If the proactive OB tells you the same thing --- relax and enjoy getting ready for that new baby.

Meanwhile cut out all caffiene! Coffee, tea, chocolate, etc. You will be surprised how that helps!

God bless and give you Peace!

JO-5

dx.04 IDC, tumor 1.4 cm, stage 1, grade 3, lumpectomy w/clear margins, 0/16 nodes, ER+/ PR+ over 90%, HER2 negative, 35 rads w/3 boosts, Arimidex 5 yrs.

May 3, 2011 02:39PM kehjj04 wrote:

Thank you so much for your response!  I had a big scare in october that seriously, ruined a peice of me forever.  I had a HARD long lump on the top of my breast.  I went to the dr and he said US immediately.  I have the us.  The tech says she sees nothing.  she goes back, comes into the room with the radiologist.  he feels the lump and does his own images with the US and then recommends a mammo.  Every US i have had before the tech always says "its a fluid filled cyst" and i go about my way to the surgeon and she agrees and then im done.  When he said i had to have a mammo i just about lost my marbles.  I sat at home and cried, and cried and cried.  I had the mammo.  The tech came back and said that she needed MORE images of the right side (they did a diagnostic on the right and a baseline on the left (the left is what im having issues with now) then sent me on my way.  I was FREAKING out, why did she need more images???  So, 3 weeks later i gather up all my tests and images and reports and take them to the surgeon (who, might i add, is a Godsend.  I love her to death) and she feels it, looks at all my stuff, does a VERY intesive breast exam and then tells me "honey, its just breast tissue over a rib"  I had lost tons of weight and was never able to feel this before (and its true, im 6 months pregnant and can barely feel this lump anymore with all the boob i have going on)  but honestly, i thought i had breast cancer with all of the tests and pushing me along.  I had to have the mammo because NOTHING showed up on the US, but no one told me that.  NOTHING showed up on the mammo, and no one told me that either.  It was terrifying.  After that i spiraled into severe health anxiety.  I had 4 moles biopsied because they looked funny to me (dr said they were fine but my "gut" said they were wrong)  I dont have a gut anymore because my gut tells me EVERYTHING is and feels wrong. 

I was having no real breast issues until i got pregnant, which is what i keep telling myself to keep myself calm, but its hard, and im scared :(  Ill be happy to have my Ultrasound next month, see my surgeon and then move on with my life from this. 

I have no one in my life to talk to about any of my fears.  My husband has his own health anxiety so when i talk about mine, it just makes his worse.  I have no close friends i can confide in and me and my mother dont speak.  This board has been a great deal of comfort and strenght for me.  I have very little to offer as far as advice but i am doing my best trying to contribute what i can to help others.

XOXO

May 3, 2011 03:54PM JO-5 wrote:

kehjjo4,

You need to get something for your nerves and anxiety.

I know you have to be careful what you take with being pregnant..... but honey, this anxiety is going to make you sick, and is not good for the baby or the rest of your family!

Your OB will know what is safe for you and the baby.

Take a deep breath and try to relax. Your hormones are probably just doing a number on you.

Just some advice from an older lady that has been through a lot.....and I do understand.

JO-5

dx.04 IDC, tumor 1.4 cm, stage 1, grade 3, lumpectomy w/clear margins, 0/16 nodes, ER+/ PR+ over 90%, HER2 negative, 35 rads w/3 boosts, Arimidex 5 yrs.

May 3, 2011 05:56PM mommichelle wrote:

I just wanted to say that there is a VERY good chance it is nothing.  That being said, I do recommend following up on it.  I had my annual exam last May and told the Gyno that I felt something, not necessarily painful but "bruised" every once in a while in my breast.  He did a thorough exam and said he felt nothing, but would send me for a mammogram anyway.  He did me a huge favor!  I ended up getting an ultrasound the same day and they recommended a biopsy.  Biopsy came back as DCIS - extensive.  I had a mastectomy last June.  Pathology came back with a small area of invasion (4mm).  Finished chemo in December and now am doing herceptin for the remainder of a year.  Like I said, it is most likely pregnancy related...if you feel better having it checked, please do it for your piece of mind.  

TCH x 6 - finished 12/2/10...herceptin till 8/11 and tamoxifen to start in the New year!

Dx 6/11/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2+

May 6, 2011 06:38AM, edited May 6, 2011 06:41AM by mtks

mommichelle- I have had areas in my arm pit and a few places down from there that feel bruised only when touching. Also, above my left breast, just below my collar bone that feel bruised. That area also has pain on it's own. I am 7 weeks out post-exchange. Maybe I am just healing?

Do you mind me asking where your area that felt "bruised" was? My gut tells me I need an ultrasound. My onco Dr(at my 6mo. ck up) was very laxed. He said if a lump developes, call him, otherwise I'll see you in 3 mo...........My cancer was ILC. Normally not found with a lump. Just curious when reading your experience.  

May 26, 2011 07:21AM kehjj04 wrote:

Today is my OB appt so if you all could just say a prayer for me :)  I will have her do an exam and then she will schedule an ultrasound.  Its still there, still tender but still feels the same as far as no lumps.  In my heart i feel that it is just a cyst/pregnancy/hormonal related but im so anxious and scared :(  its been a long month.

May 26, 2011 07:41AM J9W wrote:

kehjj04 - good luck with your appointment. I'm sending good cyber juju your way.

DCIS, grade 3, 2009. Right mastectomy, tamoxifen for only 11 months.

May 26, 2011 07:47AM mtks wrote:

kehjj04- I sending prayers your way. I know everything will be just fineSmile.

Keep us posted.

May 26, 2011 06:09PM kehjj04 wrote:

So, my drs appt went well.  She felt the area and DID agree with the first Dr. that there is not concerning "lump" but there IS fibrocystic changes where i am feeling the pain.  The difference is shes not just going to assume like first dr, she ordered me an ultrasound which i will have on June 3rd (only a week away!)  And an appt with my breast surgeon (proceedure for my drs office) so im all set.  Im definatly feeling a lot better in thinking that it is just hormonal/fibrocystic but know that i need the US and to see my BS for complete reassurance.

Thanks for everything girls, i will update as soon as i have the info from my ultrasound!

May 27, 2011 08:45AM mtks wrote:

kehjj04-Yeah- I hear it in your voice--the relief. I am happy for you and I look forward to

reading about your good result US. HUGS

May 27, 2011 09:17AM carcharm wrote:

Being pregnant the docs won't want to do anything invasive. You could ask them to do the CA tests to see if you have any tumor burden. Also, ask them to check your alkaline phosphatase and calcium levels-although being pregnant may sqew the numbers anyway. I would think a fine needle aspiration of the lump is not too invasive. See if they would do it for peace of mind.

May 27, 2011 11:10AM kehjj04 wrote:

well thats the thing, there is really no "lump" to be felt.  There is just an area that is painful when i push on it.  The breast tissue is a little thicker there and has been for a few years.  I have had one mammo about 8 months ago (baseline on the side that is bothering me now and diagnostic on the right side, which turned out to be compressed breast tissue from a rib)  I had a breast exam at the drs in December and the pain started in February, and its more of a tenderness than a pain, and only when i push on it.  I was very suprised at how my first dr blew me off but am satisifed with having the ultrasound and seeing my surgeon.  I dont want to jump the gun and start asking for all these tests before i have my ultrasound and im also REALLY trying to stay on the right side of the line, if you know what i mean.  I know from being on here that there are ladies whos cancer didnt show up on a mammo and didnt how up on the ultrasound but i cant go there in my head because i will drive myself absolutely crazy and end up hacking chunks of my breasts off everytime i have an issue (ive had 2 other issues in the other breast prior that all turned out to be B9, thank the Lord)  Ill update as soon as i have my ultrasound!  Thank you all so much for the support.  I have no one else to talk to about my concerns/fears except my husband, and he doesnt have breasts, so he doesnt get it, at all.

May 27, 2011 11:54AM sweetangel wrote:

I had felt a lump during my late pregnancy  in 2009, my Dr thought it was pregnancy related and would resolve itself.  I have it checked again after giving birth, and Dr. said it could be a clogged milk duct and related to breastfeeding, she said be back after 6 months if I feel the lump getting bigger.   I got busy after then and forgot about the lump thing.  After few months I started having abdominal pain and went to a new Doctor as I don’t feel confident with my old one,  my new Dr. sent me to get an abdomen ultrasound and we did find out that cancer has spread to the liver and bones as well.  Another request for mammogram, which couldn’t detect the breast tumor because it is way too small (0.98cm), went for ultrasound and biopsy result show for sure it was cancer.

I get mad sometimes thinking back about it!  I just found out that there seems a lot of us with young children were told "it's nursing issues" which it turned out not to be. 

I feel like I'm fighting a battle when I didn't start a war...

Dx 2/21/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 27, 2011 01:05PM kehjj04 wrote:

That's why I was so upset when my first doctor totally blew me off, because this kind of stuff DOES happen! I will follow up completely and do any and all test my BS thinks I should do. She's very good, very thorough. I adore her. She's never given me the "your so young" run around. I feel very lucky. I'm so sorry for what you have gone thru sweetangel.

Page 1 of 2 (35 results)